Old 24-04-2010, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Titchmarsh

Do any of you fellow Gardeners want to go over to the Alan Titchmarsh site
and answer a few questions on the gardening section of the forum. I am a
long time poster there and it looks like there is a shortage of replies
lately due to someone being off sick, please can anyone helo from here
whether you like Alan or not. There are a few folk there needing some help
thanks Ben

http://www.alantitchmarsh.com/forum

Old 24-04-2010, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 22:00:08 +0100, Ben Short wrote:

Do any of you fellow Gardeners want to go over to the Alan Titchmarsh site
and answer a few questions on the gardening section of the forum. I am a
long time poster there and it looks like there is a shortage of replies
lately due to someone being off sick, please can anyone helo from here
whether you like Alan or not. There are a few folk there needing some help
thanks Ben

Why not ask them to come here then ? I'm sure they would be welcome.

This is a newsgroup and not a "forum". I don't think many people here would
enjoy using a forum - I certainly wouldn't - newsgroups are *so* much
easier and better !
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 24-04-2010, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
[...]

Brilliant, I use Windows mail to get onto this newsgroup, if they don't have
that how do they get onto newsgroups. Thanks for the idea I will do that

Old 24-04-2010, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ben Short
wibbled on Saturday 24 April 2010 23:04

Brilliant, I use Windows mail to get onto this newsgroup, if they don't
have that how do they get onto newsgroups. Thanks for the idea I will do
that

Do you mean Outlook?

Anyway, you can access USENET (this newsgroup is part of a global system
called USENET that predates the Web) using "google groups" as a back up
measure.

Thunderbird makes a reasonable USENET client to (as well as email client)
and you can get free USENET access via http://www.eternal-september.org/
amongst others.

--
Tim Watts

Old 25-04-2010, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote
Do you mean Outlook?

It's now called Windows Mail (on the Windows 7 OS)

Anyway, you can access USENET (this newsgroup is part of a global system
called USENET that predates the Web) using "google groups" as a back up
measure.

Thunderbird makes a reasonable USENET client to (as well as email client)
and you can get free USENET access via http://www.eternal-september.org/
amongst others.

Most newsreaders allow you to get Newsgroups, it's just a case of finding it
in the "tools" or wherever. One problem is that not all ISPs carry Ngs so
you have to end up using www.news.individual.net/ or similar at a small
charge. Some prefer to use them anyway because they get rid of the crap and
are instant etc.
I've tried to get into a number of Forums etc and always end up back at the
Ngs, simply better in every way.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-04-2010, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 23:04:14 +0100, "Ben Short"
wrote:

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

by using a news reader.

Thanks for the idea I will do that

--

Martin

Thanks all understood, will let them know to head over here although I fear
it may confuse some of the more elderly there.

Thanks very much appreciated x

Old 25-04-2010, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden
wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 00:04

Same **** presumably?

Anyway, you can access USENET (this newsgroup is part of a global system
called USENET that predates the Web) using "google groups" as a back up
measure.

Thunderbird makes a reasonable USENET client to (as well as email client)
and you can get free USENET access via http://www.eternal-september.org/
amongst others.

Most newsreaders allow you to get Newsgroups, it's just a case of finding
it in the "tools" or wherever. One problem is that not all ISPs carry Ngs
so you have to end up using www.news.individual.net/ or similar at a small
charge.

Eternal-September is *free* and fairly reliable.

Some prefer to use them anyway because they get rid of the crap
and are instant etc.
I've tried to get into a number of Forums etc and always end up back at
the Ngs, simply better in every way.

I agree. One interface (your client) and a high degree of configurability
never found in web forums.

--
Tim Watts

Old 25-04-2010, 02:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Watts wrote:
Ben Short
wibbled on Saturday 24 April 2010 23:04

Brilliant, I use Windows mail to get onto this newsgroup, if they
don't have that how do they get onto newsgroups. Thanks for the idea
I will do that

Do you mean Outlook?

It isn't called Outlook (Express) these days, it's called Windows Mail.

Anyway, you can access USENET (this newsgroup is part of a global
system called USENET that predates the Web) using "google groups" as
a back up measure.

Thunderbird makes a reasonable USENET client to (as well as email
client) and you can get free USENET access via
http://www.eternal-september.org/ amongst others.

Just to be picky, Usenet isn't an acronym, so it doesn't need to be shouted.

Ian

Old 25-04-2010, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote ... ((Snip))
Bob Hobden
I've tried to get into a number of Forums etc and always end up back at
the Ngs, simply better in every way.

I agree. One interface (your client) and a high degree of configurability
never found in web forums.

I'm wondering how we could promote Ngs as it appears there are a high number
of surfers that have never heard of them. They obviously don't just click on
things, ie. Newsgroups in Tools, to see what happens as I did all those
years ago.
One only has to see how many come here via a web site instead of direct
through their e-mail client, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail....... most
computers come with those and they do work OK despite what some say.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-04-2010, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

* Martin wrote, On 25/04/2010 09:50:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:07:19 +0100, "Bob wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote ... ((Snip))
Bob Hobden
I've tried to get into a number of Forums etc and always end up back at
the Ngs, simply better in every way.

I agree. One interface (your client) and a high degree of configurability
never found in web forums.

I'm wondering how we could promote Ngs as it appears there are a high number
of surfers that have never heard of them. They obviously don't just click on
things, ie. Newsgroups in Tools, to see what happens as I did all those
years ago.
One only has to see how many come here via a web site instead of direct
through their e-mail client, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail....... most
computers come with those and they do work OK despite what some say.

The ability to filter out junk on newsgroups varies. Am I right in thinking that
although you can filter mail, you can't filter newsgroups with Thunderbird?

You do have some newsgroup filters in Thunderbird but it is far less
sophisticated than the filtering available in Agent.

--
Cheers, Serena

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
revolution inevitable. (John F. Kennedy)

Old 25-04-2010, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
"Bob Hobden" said:
I'm wondering how we could promote Ngs as it appears there are a high
number of surfers that have never heard of them. They obviously don't
just click on things, ie. Newsgroups in Tools, to see what happens as I
did all those years ago.
One only has to see how many come here via a web site instead of direct
through their e-mail client, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail.......
most computers come with those and they do work OK despite what some say.

Probably a silly question but can urg have its own web site so that when
people look up "garden hints, questions, problems, answers, advice" etc.,
they get directed to a web site that explains urg and sends them here?

Could do but someone would have to design and administer it and then they
would have to find a server to host it.
I think part of the problem is that a lot of people do not use an e-mail
client like Outlook Express/ Windows Live Mail, they do it all through their
ISP's web mail. Strange to most of us, but true, and without configuring a
mail client they haven't a hope of coming here direct or going to any other
Ng.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-04-2010, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2010-04-25 09:07:19 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Tim Watts" wrote ... ((Snip))
Bob Hobden
[...]

Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

I'd have thought a Blog might be better.
David Hill
Old 25-04-2010, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-04-25 14:27:27 +0100, Dave Hill
said:

Pruned a lot as others should have done ...

I'd have thought a Blog might be better.
David Hill

Could be a very good idea, David but as Bob said "Who?" ;-)
--
Sacha

How about you Sascha?

Or does the following apply in your case?

"Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, And Nobody"

This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody,
and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody
would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that
Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody
could have done it

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 25-04-2010, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:53:26 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 12:07:34 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
wrote:

I'm wondering how we could promote Ngs as it appears there are a high number
of surfers that have never heard of them. They obviously don't just click on
things, ie. Newsgroups in Tools, to see what happens as I did all those
years ago.
One only has to see how many come here via a web site instead of direct
through their e-mail client, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail....... most
computers come with those and they do work OK despite what some say.

The ability to filter out junk on newsgroups varies. Am I right in thinking that
although you can filter mail, you can't filter newsgroups with Thunderbird?

You do have some newsgroup filters in Thunderbird but it is far less
sophisticated than the filtering available in Agent.

I can only get the filters to work for mail.

Agent newsgroup filters are very good.

If at first you don't suck seed, try again

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 25-04-2010, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

What are you trying to filter on?

When you're in a newsgroup, if you click Tools\Message Filters, you
will get the opportunity to create some. Alternatively, if you right
click on a sender's email address, you will find the option of
creating a filter. It's basically the same process as it is for emails.

I mainly use them on troll infested groups to junk mail from known
trouble makers.

--
Cheers, Serena

Save the Earth - It's our only source of chocolate