Old 27-04-2010, 01:17 AM
Registered User

Default Help identifying pest

Hi there,

I'm trying to grow Okra however I keep getting these white eggs appearing under the leaves but I am unable to determine which pest is laying these eggs.

http://tinyurl.com/3ybt4hv

I would appreciate any help in identifying these pests.

Soske

North-East Scotland
Old 27-04-2010, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Soske" wrote
I'm trying to grow Okra however I keep getting these white eggs
appearing under the leaves but I am unable to determine which pest is
laying these eggs.

http://tinyurl.com/3ybt4hv

I would appreciate any help in identifying these pests.

Firstly that looks like beads of sap from the plant not eggs.
Secondly, do you expect a crop up there in Scotland?
If you do I trust you have a large heated greenhouse with growing lights, I
cannot imagine anywhere in the UK where Okra would crop successfully,
Channel Isles perhaps but even there, doubtful.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-04-2010, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2010-04-27 08:03:09 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Soske" *wrote
I'm trying to grow Okra however I keep getting these white eggs
appearing under the leaves but I am unable to determine which pest is
laying these eggs.

http://tinyurl.com/3ybt4hv

I would appreciate any help in identifying these pests.

Firstly that looks like beads of sap from the plant not eggs.

I agree. *I don't think the OP has pests to worry about.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening...16288/How-to-g...
--

Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

OK you are growing Okra, but why the picture of something that isn't
Okra?
Do you have the same things on the Okra?
If you have small white scale on the underside of the leaves then they
might be whitefly but you wouls see the flies when you touch the
plants.
David Hill
Old 27-04-2010, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Secondly, do you expect a crop up there in Scotland?
If you do I trust you have a large heated greenhouse with growing lights, I
cannot imagine anywhere in the UK where Okra would crop successfully,
Channel Isles perhaps but even there, doubtful.

Remind me to report back come autumn. I've got 10 okra plants on the go in
the greenhouse atm, with the plan to transplant some to the allotment.
(I've never even eaten okra, let alone grown it, so it's all a bit of an
experiment atm!)
Old 27-04-2010, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
Secondly, do you expect a crop up there in Scotland?
If you do I trust you have a large heated greenhouse with growing lights,
cannot imagine anywhere in the UK where Okra would crop successfully,
Channel Isles perhaps but even there, doubtful.

Remind me to report back come autumn. I've got 10 okra plants on the go
in
the greenhouse atm, with the plan to transplant some to the allotment.
(I've never even eaten okra, let alone grown it, so it's all a bit of an
experiment atm!)

If our experience is anything to go by it will simply suck and do nothing
out on the plot, and we are in a warm part of the Country.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-04-2010, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
If our experience is anything to go by it will simply suck and do nothing
out on the plot, and we are in a warm part of the Country.

Well, the advice about planting under plastic is the same advice as for
sweet potatoes, and we're meant to have some slips coming soon (if T+M ever
pull their collective thumbs out!!) so perhaps they could see if they can
play nicely together
Old 27-04-2010, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote t...
Bob Hobden wrote:
If our experience is anything to go by it will simply suck and do nothing
out on the plot, and we are in a warm part of the Country.

Well, the advice about planting under plastic is the same advice as for
sweet potatoes, and we're meant to have some slips coming soon (if T+M
ever
pull their collective thumbs out!!) so perhaps they could see if they can
play nicely together

Hope you warn your neighbours about the Sweet Potatoes or they will think
you have giant convolvulus.
Didn't do any good with those either, roots, what there were, were full of
slug holes.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-04-2010, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Hope you warn your neighbours about the Sweet Potatoes or they will think
you have giant convolvulus.
Didn't do any good with those either, roots, what there were, were full of
slug holes.

We didn't get many, but the ones we got weren't bad at all.
Not really worth the cost or effort, but we'll give it another go and see if
it goes better this time!

Old 27-04-2010, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

vicky wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
Hope you warn your neighbours about the Sweet Potatoes or they will think
you have giant convolvulus.
Didn't do any good with those either, roots, what there were, were full
of
slug holes.

We didn't get many, but the ones we got weren't bad at all.
Not really worth the cost or effort, but we'll give it another go and see
if
it goes better this time!

We tried them for a few years using our own sweet potatoes to provide slips
for the next year so got them up and running early. Still little useful crop
and, as I said, full of slug holes. Eventually we just decided they were
only an interesting gardening experiment and gave up with them.
Lots of space, water and feed needed too.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-04-2010, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
We tried them for a few years using our own sweet potatoes to provide slips
for the next year so got them up and running early. Still little useful crop

Yeah, we tried with our own slips the next year, but that didn't go
anywhere. I can't remember if we messed them up or if they didn't work.

and, as I said, full of slug holes. Eventually we just decided they were
only an interesting gardening experiment and gave up with them.
Lots of space, water and feed needed too.

*nod* Nick thought we should try again and make sure we water them more
this time. I don't think we got much slug damage at all, but he did
nematodify the whole place, so that will have helped.