Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ramsons (wild garlic)

I expressed a wish to have some and a kind person on here sent me a box
full.
It has settled very well in several sites and is now flowering. I ate a
bulb of it before I planted it and it nearly blew my head off.
I don't intend to let it get too invasive, I will eat it to death.
I love garlic and use it in cooking all the time.
These were seriously strong.

I can also eat the leaves and flowers but will wait a while so it settles to
spread a bit.
These are my stock plants for now.
Isn't it wonderful that I wish for Ramsons and someone sends me some?
Tina

Old 10-05-2010, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

My favourite is to lightly shred lots of young wild garlic leaves, add
salt, lemon juice, lemon zest, lots of coarsely ground black pepper
and a few nobs of butter. The mix is then used as a stuffing for
chicken or boned, rolled shoulder of lamb. The very young, recently
emerged flower spikes ( a fiddly job to pick, but worth the effort)
are wonderful if steamed and tossed in butter or drizzled with a light
hollandaise sauce, while the opened flowers can be added to salad for
a gentle garlicky infusion. The only thing I don't eat is the bulb -
I find that it leaves a slightly odd after-taste.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message

from Dave Poole contains these words:

My favourite is to lightly shred lots of young wild garlic leaves, add
salt, lemon juice, lemon zest, lots of coarsely ground black pepper
and a few nobs of butter. The mix is then used as a stuffing for
chicken or boned, rolled shoulder of lamb.

Thanks for that. I've had them in soup made with ramson leaves, young
nettles and potatoes;
cook in a well seasoned stock, liquidise and add cream.

New potato and wild garlic omlette:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...a-1957094.html

Tim w

Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bill Grey wrote:

As a matter of interest, at what stage of growth does the wild garlic
develop the bulbs? I've seen and picked the leaves often but never have I
seen the bulb.

In the first year from seed.

May be quite deep, depending on the soil.

--
Rusty
Old 13-05-2010, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

It forms a small bulb that is exhausted as the new growth expands and
flowers, which is why you won't find much of one at the base of a
growing plant. If you want to harvest the bulbs, you need to dig
quite deeply after the leaves have died away. Don't expect golf-ball
sized bulbs though, they are small compared to a cultivated garlic,

Old 13-05-2010, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

countymayo wrote:

I cooked a
shoulder of pork last night with 13 garlic cloves, it was not over
garlicky at all, just very tasty.

Sounds like, as I often tell my Dear Lady, that you _almost_ used enough
garlic!

I have only a few Ramps/Ramsons, given me by a friend; they seem not
happily located, so don't multiply much. But they're available in the
spring at Farmers' markets, and I grow plenty of "civilized" garlic.

Old 13-05-2010, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I expressed a wish to have some and a kind person on here sent me a box
full.
It has settled very well in several sites and is now flowering. I ate a
bulb of it before I planted it and it nearly blew my head off.
I don't intend to let it get too invasive, I will eat it to death.
I love garlic and use it in cooking all the time.
These were seriously strong.

I can also eat the leaves and flowers but will wait a while so it settles
to spread a bit.
These are my stock plants for now.
Isn't it wonderful that I wish for Ramsons and someone sends me some?
Tina

"Eat leeks in Lide and Ramsons in May
And all the year after physicians may play."

R.

Old 16-05-2010, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
countymayo wrote:

I cooked a
shoulder of pork last night with 13 garlic cloves, it was not over
garlicky at all, just very tasty.

Sounds like, as I often tell my Dear Lady, that you _almost_ used enough
garlic!

I have only a few Ramps/Ramsons, given me by a friend; they seem not
happily located, so don't multiply much. But they're available in the
spring at Farmers' markets, and I grow plenty of "civilized" garlic.

Ah, but. Wild garlic seems to be the fashion now in posh restaurants.
It's not why I wanted some. I have a very small spinney that I call my
"wood" and I want it planted up with native plants. It was missing some
Ramsons, the culinary aspect was secondary.
Although it's unlikely to get out of control as I was warned it can do, I
will eat it before it can ;-)
What a fantastic plant it is - you can eat the leaves, bulbs and flowers.
I have to ignore it for now, be patient and stop coveting..
It's hard g
Tina

Old 16-05-2010, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:38:53 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
.. .
countymayo wrote:

[...]

Did anyone watch "Halcyon Days"on BBC1 tonight? Philipa Forester
cooked pasta with wild garlic. Apparently it does not make your
breath smell as ordinary garlic does and has other advantages which I
can't remember!

Pam in Bristol
Old 16-05-2010, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote:

I have to ignore it for now, be patient and stop coveting..
It's hard g

Don't forget: Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Don't tell me if your ramsons take off and do well.

Old 17-05-2010, 02:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:

I have to ignore it for now, be patient and stop coveting..
It's hard g

Don't forget: Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Don't tell me if your ramsons take off and do well.

OK, I won't.
But signs are good.

Old 17-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Registered User

Location: Cheshire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell[_2_] View Post
Ah, but. Wild garlic seems to be the fashion now in posh restaurants.
It's not why I wanted some. I have a very small spinney that I call my
"wood" and I want it planted up with native plants. It was missing some
Ramsons, the culinary aspect was secondary.
We've got a mini-wood too with a couple of silver birch and mountain ash, plus a hazel, with loads of wild garlic, bluebells, yellow archangel and sweet woodruff. Looks lovely in spring and we can keep it all within limits with a hoe around the edges at intervals. Even so, have noticed some ramsons appearing in our front garden so not sure if this has any connection with our back garden 'wood' or just a coincidence. Haven't used any of our compost in the front, so perhaps birds have spread it?

Now will have to try eating it after seeing all these recipes. Mmmm.
Old 18-05-2010, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cheshire gdner" wrote in
message ...

'Christina Websell[_2_ Wrote:
;887463']
Ah, but. Wild garlic seems to be the fashion now in posh restaurants.
It's not why I wanted some. I have a very small spinney that I call my

"wood" and I want it planted up with native plants. It was missing some

Ramsons, the culinary aspect was secondary.

We've got a mini-wood too with a couple of silver birch and mountain
ash, plus a hazel, with loads of wild garlic, bluebells, yellow
archangel and sweet woodruff. Looks lovely in spring and we can keep it
all within limits with a hoe around the edges at intervals. Even so,
have noticed some ramsons appearing in our front garden so not sure if
this has any connection with our back garden 'wood' or just a
coincidence. Haven't used any of our compost in the front, so perhaps
birds have spread it?

Now will have to try eating it after seeing all these recipes. Mmmm.

Just don't try eating a raw bulb. OMG.
It unlikely it will spread too much here as I'm going to eat it. Often.
Leaves, flowers, all very edible and delicious.
Tina

Ramsons David Rance United Kingdom 9 28-11-2010 02:01 AM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
ramsons and ivy Kay United Kingdom 3 13-02-2005 10:48 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
wild garlic/onion. Terry Lynton United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 02:09 AM