Old 25-05-2010, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening

Default Some gardeners were harmed in the making of this program.

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ldframe014.jpg

That's a fine harvest of straw you've got!

Next-door nabe is a farm worker. Last December I asks
"need some dahlia protection this Winter, any chance of
some straw?" Next day he tractors up with a whole
bale!!
"A tenth of that would be fine" say I.
"No chance" says he, "once you cut the baling straps,
it'll blow all over the road and I'll get nicked."
What's left is stored on the allotment, under some
corrugated. Enough to keep dahlias, strawberries,
hedgehogs, etc, happy for the next 10 years.

Old 25-05-2010, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 25 May 2010 18:17:41 +0100
Rusty Hinge wrote:

David Reid wrote:
's best pigeon dodged hawks and farmers' guns to bring me the following:

HOWEVER, I wear sandals or bare feet most of the time, and so am
accustomed to taking appropriate care. 90% of the people who have
trouble are either relying on their 'protection' and not taking care,
or have (exceptionally) worn sandals or bare feet and not changed
their behaviour from wearing beetlecrushers. For example, people
who put a fork through their foot will almost certainly be wearing
boots and relying on them to protect their feet.

I just wasn't paying proper attention to where I was sticking the fork.

GWS Ron. Do they have a special ward for gardening related injuries, or
did you simply not mention the others?

Daisy Ward, Turnip Ward, Greensward, Glyphosate Ward...

Mind you don't put ideas in the NHS head - you might start turf wars.

I have a growing be leaf that we're digging in for another crop of puns.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:WIN | A better way to focus the sun
Old 25-05-2010, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening
No Name

In uk.rec.gardening Bertie Doe wrote:
"No chance" says he, "once you cut the baling straps,
it'll blow all over the road and I'll get nicked."
What's left is stored on the allotment, under some
corrugated. Enough to keep dahlias, strawberries,
hedgehogs, etc, happy for the next 10 years.

We buy our straw from a local stables. Costs about 3 quid for a bale, which
is about the same price as a medium sized bag from the local pet shop. We
use a relatvely large amount of straw.
Old 26-05-2010, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:

David Reid wrote:
[...]

Just a little one for me - a punnet

--
Sleepalot

Old 26-05-2010, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "wafflycat" contains these words:

That's a fine harvest of straw you've got!

There isn't mushroom in there.

--
Skipweasel
Not to be sniffed at.

Old 26-05-2010, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:

David Reid wrote:
[...]

I have it on good authority that horse piddle molishes a good
accelerator for compost heaps.

--
Rusty

Old 26-05-2010, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Rusty Hinge contains these words:

I have it on good authority that horse piddle molishes a good
accelerator for compost heaps.

As does human weeings.

--
Skipweasel
Not to be sniffed at.
Old 26-05-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening

Skipweasel wrote:
The message
from "wafflycat" contains these words:

That's a fine harvest of straw you've got!

There isn't mushroom in there.

Havin' fun, Guy?

--
Rusty

Old 26-05-2010, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Rusty Hinge contains these words:

That's a fine harvest of straw you've got!

There isn't mushroom in there.

Havin' fun, Guy?

I'm reminded of my old boss arriving at jbex one day shuddering with
laughter. She'd just dropped her toddler off at nursery and while all
the mums were waiting for the doors to open one little angel announced
to the assembled ears...
"I saw mummy and daddy having a bouncy hug in the greenhouse."

--
Skipweasel
Not to be sniffed at.
Old 26-05-2010, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

"wafflycat" wrote in message

Cruddy Bell! Get well soon and next time, wait until after the gardening
before taking the whisky! ;-)

Actually, your cautionary tale may have served as a timely warning. I am
hoping to invest in a greenhouse - I am tending to think I may prefer
one that is not a glasshouse, but is safety glass or polycarbonate.

My cluttered greenhouse is made from 2' x 2' horticultural. Last week a
neighbour bought a g/house with some of his retirement swag. It's made
from 2' x 6' toughened glass and the frame seems substantially heavier.

My solution is cheaper, make sure the panes are dirty (clean glass is
invisible) plus have straw padding everywhere.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ldframe014.jpg

That's a fine harvest of straw you've got!

And why is there a castle in the background?

--
Kathy

Old 27-05-2010, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote in message
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ldframe014.jpg

That's a fine harvest of straw you've got!

And why is there a castle in the background?

--
Kathy

That's the reflection of our housing terrace in the
glass. The clusters of chimney pots harkens back to the
days when every room had a fireplace.

Old 27-05-2010, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening

Skipweasel wrote:
The message
from Rusty Hinge contains these words:

I have it on good authority that horse piddle molishes a good
accelerator for compost heaps.

As does human weeings.

'Swhy I've got such arrays of weeds.

--
Rusty
Old 27-05-2010, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-05-26 17:20:24 +0100, Rusty Hinge
said:

Skipweasel wrote:
The message
from "wafflycat" contains these words:

That's a fine harvest of straw you've got!

There isn't mushroom in there.

Havin' fun, Guy?

In the porch in'e?

Where he blewit.