Old 12-07-2010, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ay outdoor tomatoes ripening yet?

We have tomatoes at home and at the allotment.
They seem to have set quite a lot of fruit, with the promise of masses more
to come.
However I have had one ripe cherry tomato and all the others seem nowhere
near ripening.
I would have thought that there should be some ready by now, especially with
all the warm weather.
We have several different varieties, but the majority are Sungold.

Hopefully the current burst of rain will perk everything up and encourage
more fruit.

Cheers

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David WE Roberts wrote:
We have tomatoes at home and at the allotment.
They seem to have set quite a lot of fruit, with the promise of masses
more to come.
However I have had one ripe cherry tomato and all the others seem
nowhere near ripening.
I would have thought that there should be some ready by now, especially
with all the warm weather.
We have several different varieties, but the majority are Sungold.

Hopefully the current burst of rain will perk everything up and
encourage more fruit.

Cheers

Dave R

My tumbling toms are healthy with lots of green toms, but no sign of
ripening. :-(
Old 12-07-2010, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Broadback" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
We have tomatoes at home and at the allotment.
They seem to have set quite a lot of fruit, with the promise of masses
more to come.
However I have had one ripe cherry tomato and all the others seem
nowhere near ripening.
I would have thought that there should be some ready by now, especially
with all the warm weather.
We have several different varieties, but the majority are Sungold.

Hopefully the current burst of rain will perk everything up and
encourage more fruit.

Cheers

Dave R

My tumbling toms are healthy with lots of green toms, but no sign of
ripening. :-(

Some fruit on one of my 'tumblers' is just starting to ripen, but the
Tumbling Toms remain green. No sign of ripening yet on Gardener's Delight or
Moneymaker, either.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

..
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

I agree with all of the above, I have toms both indoors and out and there
is plenty of fruit but all green with no sign of ripening as yet :-(

kate
Gloucestershire.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote ...
We have tomatoes at home and at the allotment.
They seem to have set quite a lot of fruit, with the promise of masses
more to come.
However I have had one ripe cherry tomato and all the others seem nowhere
near ripening.
I would have thought that there should be some ready by now, especially
with all the warm weather.
We have several different varieties, but the majority are Sungold.

Hopefully the current burst of rain will perk everything up and encourage
more fruit.

Don't grow any of those small Toms, but our large ones out on the allotment
are doing well, what with all the watering. Lots of fruit setting but
nothing anywhere near ripe yet. Probably have to spray with Bordeaux Mixture
before any get ripe.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-07-2010, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David WE Roberts wrote:
I would have thought that there should be some ready by now, especially with
all the warm weather.

We'e got our first almost-ripe outdoor tomato in a basket by the (south
facing) back door! Which is at about the same stage as the tiniest of the
greenhoused cherry toms, and not a patch of colour yet on any of the bigger
toms ..
Old 17-07-2010, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
I would have thought that there should be some ready by now, especially
with
all the warm weather.

We'e got our first almost-ripe outdoor tomato in a basket by the (south
facing) back door! Which is at about the same stage as the tiniest of the
greenhoused cherry toms, and not a patch of colour yet on any of the
bigger
toms ..

We cheated(ish) and brought home a green cherry tomato that had got knocked
off the bush.
After a week or so in the fruit bowl it has finallt ripened :-)
More, a tomato (not cherry) on the allotment is starting to change colour.
Will the excitement never end?

Old 17-07-2010, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David WE Roberts wrote:
Will the excitement never end?

I'm absolutely fuming at Nick today. He ate the first ripe cherry tomato!
Without sharing! that's it, the season is ruined now. :-(
Old 17-07-2010, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
Will the excitement never end?

I'm absolutely fuming at Nick today. He ate the first ripe cherry tomato!
Without sharing! that's it, the season is ruined now. :-(

Don't panic, I think some more tomatoes are on the turn.
Give it a couple of weeks and you will thank him for reducing the onerous
task of keeping up with all the ripe tomatoes ;-)

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old 17-07-2010, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David WE Roberts wrote:
I'm absolutely fuming at Nick today. He ate the first ripe cherry tomato!
Without sharing! that's it, the season is ruined now. :-(

Don't panic, I think some more tomatoes are on the turn.
Give it a couple of weeks and you will thank him for reducing the onerous
task of keeping up with all the ripe tomatoes ;-)

Oh, I have 2 more in my pocket, ready to share with the kids. But! It was
the first!! :'(