Old 31-07-2010, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Favourite veg

My 7yo daughter has participated in her school veggie garden project, and
she and all her year class have a questionere asking their family which 3
veg they consider is the most popular, and it got me thinking what is the
most popular with us, as a nation.

Mine are New potatoes, broad beans, brussels sprouts.

My wife says runner beans, tomatoes, parsnip.

My mum and dad say anything that is in the garden waiting to be picked.(not
an answer but in the tick other box)

I wondered what this groups preferences are.

Cheers
Sandra and Micky
Old 31-07-2010, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:01:09 GMT, Escargo wrote:

I wondered what this groups preferences are.

Carrots

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
Old 31-07-2010, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Escargo" wrote ...
My 7yo daughter has participated in her school veggie garden project, and
she and all her year class have a questionere asking their family which 3
veg they consider is the most popular, and it got me thinking what is the
most popular with us, as a nation.

Mine are New potatoes, broad beans, brussels sprouts.

My wife says runner beans, tomatoes, parsnip.

My mum and dad say anything that is in the garden waiting to be
picked.(not
an answer but in the tick other box)

I wondered what this groups preferences are.

It's always carrots. :-)

Depends what you are having it with, cabbage goes beautifully with steak,
mushroom & onion pie.

Eat lots of tomatoes but mainly cooked into a sauce, not that keen on them
raw and hate those little oversweet ones. Eat lots of onions too, again
usually in a sauce or combined as above, eat lettuce and red onion virtually
daily (salad for lunch).
Onions, tomatoes (cooked), lettuce.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 31-07-2010, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/07/2010 15:01, Escargo wrote:
My 7yo daughter has participated in her school veggie garden project, and
she and all her year class have a questionere asking their family which 3
veg they consider is the most popular, and it got me thinking what is the
most popular with us, as a nation.

Mine are New potatoes, broad beans, brussels sprouts.

My wife says runner beans, tomatoes, parsnip.

My mum and dad say anything that is in the garden waiting to be picked.(not
an answer but in the tick other box)

I wondered what this groups preferences are.

Runner beans (with lots of black pepper and soured cream!), corn on the
cob and asparagus.
Jill
Old 31-07-2010, 04:17 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wolstenholme View Post
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:01:09 GMT, Escargo wrote:

I wondered what this groups preferences are.

Carrots
asparagus, broad beans and avocado pear

Old 31-07-2010, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Escargo" wrote in message
My 7yo daughter has participated in her school veggie garden project, and
she and all her year class have a questionere asking their family which 3
veg they consider is the most popular, and it got me thinking what is the
most popular with us, as a nation.

Mine are New potatoes, broad beans, brussels sprouts.

My wife says runner beans, tomatoes, parsnip.

Peas are my ultimate favourite. Then
broad beans & brussels sprouts.
Parsnips are my least fave.
Tina

Old 31-07-2010, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Escargo wrote:
I wondered what this groups preferences are.

Benjamin (6) says
tomatoes, sweetcorn, brussel sprouts

Daniel (4) says
sweetcorn, peas, broccoli

Nick (allegedly an adult) says
butternut squash, sweetcorn, chips

I say
sweetcorn, broccoli, brussel sprouts
Old 31-07-2010, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:8bj2uhFj8U2
@mid.individual.net:

Escargo wrote:
I wondered what this groups preferences are.

Benjamin (6) says
tomatoes, sweetcorn, brussel sprouts

Daniel (4) says
sweetcorn, peas, broccoli

Nick (allegedly an adult) says
butternut squash, sweetcorn, chips

I say
sweetcorn, broccoli, brussel sprouts

LOL nice chips from a mulch tree?
Old 31-07-2010, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Escargo" wrote ...
[...]

Bob
we are limited to 3
And also stop it you are making me hungry.
Old 31-07-2010, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:
Escargo wrote:
I wondered what this groups preferences are.

From what I am growing at present, chillis, more chillis, French
beans, other beans, hubbard-type squashes and Little Gem squashes :-)

But raw carrots are usually a mainstay, and I would grow broccoli
more often if I succeeded better with it! Spring purple broccoli,
of course. And I used to grow traditional potatoes - Belle de
Fontenay and Champion were our favourites.

Plus lots of things that I have dismally failed with, like okra.
And I am very fond of salsify.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 31-07-2010, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Escargo" wrote in message
My 7yo daughter has participated in her school veggie garden project, and
she and all her year class have a questionere asking their family which 3
veg they consider is the most popular, and it got me thinking what is the
most popular with us, as a nation.

Mine are New potatoes, broad beans, brussels sprouts.

My wife says runner beans, tomatoes, parsnip.

My mum and dad say anything that is in the garden waiting to be
picked.(not
an answer but in the tick other box)

I wondered what this groups preferences are.

My home grown new potatoes which, despite being "seeded" from a bag from
Sainsburys, tasted much better

I'm also very fond of what are sold in shops as "fine beans" but I have no
idea what a "fine" bean is or whether I could grow one at home. My dad gave
me a runner bean, but all it's done so far is to produce some nice red
flowers, which are very pretty, but I'm wondering when the bean part starts
happening.

Ian

Old 31-07-2010, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Escargo" wrote in message
My 7yo daughter has participated in her school veggie garden project, and
she and all her year class have a questionere asking their family which 3
veg they consider is the most popular, and it got me thinking what is the
most popular with us, as a nation.

Mine are New potatoes, broad beans, brussels sprouts.

My wife says runner beans, tomatoes, parsnip.

My mum and dad say anything that is in the garden waiting to be
picked.(not
an answer but in the tick other box)

I wondered what this groups preferences are.

Runner beans, sprouts and tomatoes.

I could add more!

Alan

Cheers
Sandra and Micky

Old 31-07-2010, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Escargo wrote:
Nick (allegedly an adult) says
butternut squash, sweetcorn, chips

LOL nice chips from a mulch tree?

I think it may be a comment on the way I dig up potatoes. ;-)