Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Would this composting idea give me problems?

In message , Baz
writes
Martin Brown wrote in news:lFFso.11639
:

Sounds like you live in a town or city.

Regards,
Martin Brown

I live on the outskirts of S****horpe now but was born in a village nearby
and both are not allowed to burn even smokeless fuel. Not allowed to burn
anything, apart from my supper when I have had a few.and even then I get it
in the neck so to speak.
Baz

I've lived in a smokeless zone since they were first introduced, but
there were exemptions made a) for 30 minutes initial firing up of
furnaces etc, and b) occasional burning of garden rubbish.

Has that been changed, or are yours local byelaws?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote in
news

If you stack it in heaps about 2m on a side and keep damp then it
won't matter too much - the stuff will quickly heat up internally and
rot down. I would not spread the stuff around without first composting
it. Both ivy and bramble will regrow from fairly small pieces.

Are you sure you want to move this sort of bulk material around? Might
be a lot easier to compost it in situ (or burn) and take the ash as
fertiliser. Clearing bramble, nettle, ivy scrubland I tend to favour a
hit of glyphosate followed a few weeks later by torching it when
tinder dry (putting in appropriate fire breaks). Ivy being so waxy
survives glyphosate but it doesn't last long in a fire.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks to all. Unfortunately I can't have a fire where the brambles and ivy
are groeing. The overgrown yard is surrounded by buildings. I'll have to
cart the stuff away and either compost it or burn it on my own property
which is more rural - or I could dump the lot at the council tip which is
nearer to the yard. Shredding it would make it easier to cart away. It
means I can cart it all away in perhaps three vanloads insted of ten (I'm
guessing).

Al

Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/2010 00:24, AL_n wrote:
Martin wrote in
[...]

The volume will certainly be enough to compost hot then. Seems a shame
to take it to the council tip in a van where you will be hit for trade
waste charges if you could compost it for your own use. I wouldn't even
consider using it as a mulch without composting first though!

You will be surprised how fast it goes in 2m loose filled cubes. After a
couple of days you will smell a strange stale low molecular weight fatty
acids and the core temperature should go up to 60-70C. Don't do it too
close to your house - hot composting can sometimes run away. I have had
one go to smouldering internally once. After the first week just move
the outer bits inwards if it doesn't collapse of its own accord. Be
ready to use in in spring next year if you do it right.

I am pretty lazy about turning compost properly and have discovered that
it really doesn't make all that much difference. The key is to add a lot
of material at one time and make sure there is plenty of air in the mix.
Anything not properly rotted down when I come to use it ends up in the
bottom of the next heap. I have three used cyclically.

If you are superstitious then a bit of proprietory accelerator like
Garotta will get the stuff off to an even quicker start. I have not
found it necessary with large amounts of material YMMV.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 12-10-2010, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote in
:

I've lived in a smokeless zone since they were first introduced, but
there were exemptions made a) for 30 minutes initial firing up of
furnaces etc, and b) occasional burning of garden rubbish.

Has that been changed, or are yours local byelaws?

Good question.
I just know that a few years ago a workmate was reported by a nosy
neighbour for having a small bonfire and was hauled into court and fined.

Surprisingly permission is required even on Nov5th.

Baz
Old 12-10-2010, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/2010 10:24, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

You will be surprised how fast it goes in 2m loose filled cubes.

You reminded me, it's useful to get hold of those cubic-metre
strong woven sacks with handles for mechanical lifters, that sand and
building materials are delivered in. The sacks used to be returnable but
no longer are allowed for re-use, so builders give them away.

We use them for transporting garden material.

I think the OP could do so too with considerable advantage.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 12-10-2010, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in message
[...]

Council re-cycling dumps usually prohibit the dumping of "invasive" plants!

Bill

Old 12-10-2010, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote in news:m4Wso.5318
:

On 12/10/2010 10:24, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

You will be surprised how fast it goes in 2m loose filled cubes.

You reminded me, it's useful to get hold of those cubic-metre
strong woven sacks with handles for mechanical lifters, that sand and
building materials are delivered in. The sacks used to be returnable but
no longer are allowed for re-use, so builders give them away.

We use them for transporting garden material.

I think the OP could do so too with considerable advantage.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks to Janet for the suggestion. My friend suggested those too, but if
you mean those really big bags that the builders' merchants deliver loose
material in, they are too big to get off the premises when full. We're
going to have to use lots of rubble bags (the dustbin-sized ones, I think.
As we have to hail them up a narrow alley to get to the van. They'll be
easier to hoik into the van, too. An'd easier to get out, single-handed at
the other end.

Yes, I do think I'll make use of the chippings. I'm going to buy a
shredder. It will pay for itself just on this job alone, I think.

Al
Old 13-10-2010, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Janet writes
In article ,
says...

Council re-cycling dumps usually prohibit the dumping of "invasive" plants!

I thought that was just Japanese Knot Weed?
Janet

Anything I don't or can't shred goes into my brown bin.
They even say we can put kitchen waste in it now, but I don't, nor would
I buy compost from the council. Yukk!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 13-10-2010, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 13/10/2010 12:14, Gordon H wrote:

Anything I don't or can't shred goes into my brown bin.
They even say we can put kitchen waste in it now, but I don't, nor would
I buy compost from the council. Yukk!

Depends on the kitchen waste - veg peelings and egg shells are OK. I
compost more stuff than our council allows in green bins and use my
green bin for composting leaves for leaf mould (which takes two years).

I would never put fat or meat on the compost heap it encourages vermin.

But what would others do?...

Weird useless factoid. Salford's "green" bins are shocking pink!

They didn't think it through, did they?

Black bins - been around for years here
Blue bins - for paper, now plus cardboard
Green bins - bottles, certain plastics, cans
All very fine, then along came the brown bins....
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 13-10-2010, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Janet writes
In article ,
says...

Council re-cycling dumps usually prohibit the dumping of "invasive" plants!

I thought that was just Japanese Knot Weed?
Janet

I took a walk round a National Trust garden a while ago, (Quarry Bank
Mill) and saw two or three JKW plants in a shrub bed. I remarked
to the lady on the gate that I was surprised to see them included, and
she didn't know they were there!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 13-10-2010, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Gordon H wrote:
Weird useless factoid. Salford's "green" bins are shocking pink!

They didn't think it through, did they?

Black bins - been around for years here
Blue bins - for paper, now plus cardboard
Green bins - bottles, certain plastics, cans
All very fine, then along came the brown bins....

In Liverpool the bins are purple. I think that that is the 'rubbish' bin,
but I'm not sure.