Old 12-12-2010, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My parsley

The flatleafed parley is definitely deceased after -10C The curly one
looked dead but has a little fresh shoot showing upwards now
That's nice, innit? ;-)
Tina

Old 13-12-2010, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 23:28:11 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

The flatleafed parley is definitely deceased after -10C The curly one
looked dead but has a little fresh shoot showing upwards now
That's nice, innit? ;-)
Tina

Til Thursday when it'll turn artic again possible for 20-30 days.

--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 14-12-2010, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The flatleafed parley is definitely deceased after -10C The curly one
looked dead but has a little fresh shoot showing upwards now
That's nice, innit? ;-)
Tina

Til Thursday when it'll turn artic again possible for 20-30 days.

I'll be worrying more about keeping warm without central heating Like I
do.

Old 14-12-2010, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The flatleafed parley is definitely deceased after -10C The curly one
looked dead but has a little fresh shoot showing upwards now
That's nice, innit? ;-)
Tina

Til Thursday when it'll turn artic again possible for 20-30 days.

I'll be worrying more about keeping warm without central heating Like I
do.

My parsley collapsed in the cols and looked beyond redemption. However
as soon as the temperature wicked up so did the parsley, it is now
looking healthy and happy.

Old 15-12-2010, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The flatleafed parley is definitely deceased after -10C The curly one
looked dead but has a little fresh shoot showing upwards now
That's nice, innit? ;-)
Tina

Til Thursday when it'll turn artic again possible for 20-30 days.

I'll be worrying more about keeping warm without central heating Like
do.

Same here.
My woodburner is not coping with - 10C I blamed the quality of my wood.
Woodman says it might be an idea to have my chimney swept since I haven't
done it since 2004..

I did it myself then and the last chimney sweep I asked came and said "you
are joking." It's not easy to sweep a chimney that has a woodburner in it.
It must be possible, though.

Old 16-12-2010, 09:04 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post

My woodburner is not coping with - 10C I blamed the quality of my wood.
Woodman says it might be an idea to have my chimney swept since I haven't
done it since 2004..

I did it myself then and the last chimney sweep I asked came and said "you
are joking." It's not easy to sweep a chimney that has a woodburner in it.
It must be possible, though.
Does your chimney have a liner?
You could ask a local wood stove company if they can recommend a chimney sweep - they should be able to tell you one who is used to working with stoves.

But yes, you do need to get your chimney swept. Remember a stove burns much hotter than an open fire, with correspondingly greater risk of a chimney fire.
__________________
Old 16-12-2010, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

My woodburner is not coping with - 10C I blamed the quality of my wood.
Woodman says it might be an idea to have my chimney swept since I haven't
done it since 2004..

I did it myself then and the last chimney sweep I asked came and said "you
are joking." It's not easy to sweep a chimney that has a woodburner in it.
It must be possible, though.

The last time my chimney was swept was when a wood pigeon came down it,
but I wouldn't recommend the method. :-)

I have rods for the drains, so I only need a brush, but I am uneasy
about the mess I'd probably make, and I don't have a high capacity
vacuum cleaner, just a Dyson.

How did you cope with the volume of soot?

I only burn smokeless and a few login the open fire at Xmas, and private
paper with details on, but I should get it done...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 16-12-2010, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message

How did you cope with the volume of soot?

When I swept it myself? With a shovel behind the woodburner into a bucket.
I don't really want to do that again.
I too have a Dyson. Good as they are they will not sweep my chimney.
Woodman has given me the name of a chimney sweep. I hope it's not the one
that said no way.
It cannot be impossible to sweep my chimney. I sort of did it not very well.
Access is difficult, true but surely a proper sweep can do it.
Tina

Old 17-12-2010, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message

How did you cope with the volume of soot?

When I swept it myself? With a shovel behind the woodburner into a bucket.
I don't really want to do that again.
I too have a Dyson. Good as they are they will not sweep my chimney.
Woodman has given me the name of a chimney sweep. I hope it's not the one
that said no way.
It cannot be impossible to sweep my chimney. I sort of did it not very well.
Access is difficult, true but surely a proper sweep can do it.
Tina

They must have methods..
The last time a sweep did ours he taped a sheet around the tiled
fireplace, and thrust the rods through a hole in the middle of the
sheet, (having already put the brush inside)!

The soot was contained within the sheet, and then he sucked it out with
a fat vacuum cleaner, no mess left at all.

I suppose it is more difficult with your woodburner, the rods are
flexible enough to easily be fed through my open fireplace.

he offered to sell me the soot on top of his fee, but I let him take it
away.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 17-12-2010, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote:
Christina Websell;907677 Wrote:

My woodburner is not coping with - 10C I blamed the quality of my
wood.

Woodman says it might be an idea to have my chimney swept since I
haven't
done it since 2004..

I did it myself then and the last chimney sweep I asked came and said
"you
are joking." It's not easy to sweep a chimney that has a woodburner
in it.
It must be possible, though.

Does your chimney have a liner?
You could ask a local wood stove company if they can recommend a
chimney sweep - they should be able to tell you one who is used to
working with stoves.

But yes, you do need to get your chimney swept. Remember a stove burns
much hotter than an open fire, with correspondingly greater risk of a
chimney fire.

Don't try what dear old John Seymour did: get up on the roof and fire a
shotgun down the chimbley!

About the flat-leafed parsley: don't waste the tasty roots, which may
well still be usable, and are, I believe, a part of a classic bouquet
garni.

--
Mike.

Old 18-12-2010, 08:29 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
It cannot be impossible to sweep my chimney. I sort of did it not very well.
Access is difficult, true but surely a proper sweep can do it.
Access should be OK if the the chimney of your woodstove is from the top. It's more difficult if the chimney is from the back to go straight in with brushes. This year my chimney sweep forgot my stove has a removable plate (and I was busy elsewhere). He went on to autopilot and removed the stove, swept the chimney, put the stove back, re-cemented the join. He didn't take noticeably longer than normal, and his charge didn't seem anything out of the ordinary. And no mess.
__________________
Old 21-12-2010, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message

[...]

A chimney sweep is coming tomorrow. We'll see what happens. He quoted a
fee but it will be an extra 2.50 for him to take my soot away. I said don't
bother, I'll put it on my compost heap. I don't think he expected that.

Old 21-12-2010, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

Christina Websell;907819 Wrote:

It cannot be impossible to sweep my chimney. I sort of did it not very
well.
Access is difficult, true but surely a proper sweep can do it.

Access should be OK if the the chimney of your woodstove is from the
top. It's more difficult if the chimney is from the back

It's from the back..but if I could do it once (not perfectly) so can a
proper chimney sweep do it better tomorrow.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Registered User

I am not an expert.. but maybe vacuuming it would help?
miele spares

Parsley. Any special sowing requirements? WasTa United Kingdom 11 05-11-2003 07:42 AM
cow parsley papa United Kingdom 3 10-06-2003 10:20 AM
cow parsley papa United Kingdom 1 09-06-2003 04:32 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 3 04-03-2003 10:27 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:03 PM