Old 29-12-2010, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default temperatures; max/min

I have just been in my garden to look at my Max/Min thermometer.
Minimum has been -12 and Max, this morning, is +8 or 9.
What have others recorded?
Everything looks very sad and I need to get out with secateurs and a
sack!

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-12-2010, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I have just been in my garden to look at my Max/Min thermometer.
Minimum has been -12 and Max, this morning, is +8 or 9.
What have others recorded?
Everything looks very sad and I need to get out with secateurs and a
sack!

In our particular location just north of Nottingham we are usually fortunate
in missing those extremes of foul weather often suffered by other areas.....
don't know why this is. However, at some point in the last fortnight my
max-min thermometer recorded -15c....... and this was inside the greenhouse
!!
It was perhaps the day our central heating condensing boiler packed-up
because the drain outlet froze, apparently a common feature of this type of
boiler....according to today's Daily Mail.

vsop

Old 29-12-2010, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/12/2010 11:30, vsop wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I have just been in my garden to look at my Max/Min thermometer.
Minimum has been -12 and Max, this morning, is +8 or 9.
What have others recorded?
Everything looks very sad and I need to get out with secateurs and a
sack!

In our particular location just north of Nottingham we are usually
fortunate in missing those extremes of foul weather often suffered by
other areas..... don't know why this is. However, at some point in
the last fortnight my max-min thermometer recorded -15c....... and
this was inside the greenhouse !!
It was perhaps the day our central heating condensing boiler packed-up
because the drain outlet froze, apparently a common feature of this
type of boiler....according to today's Daily Mail.

vsop

Bad Installation, condensate pipe should be lagged and most importantly
there should be an air break in the condensate pipe within the heated
envelope of the house. It's a warning; if it drips then the drain
outlet is blocked by ice or whatever. It also prevents the boiler
filling with water.
Old 29-12-2010, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Donwill
writes
On 29/12/2010 11:30, vsop wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Mine's lagged and it still freezes up. My air break is self installed -
Bosch drill with 6mm bit and bucket. Fortunately the installation is in
the garage
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 29-12-2010, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:30:57 -0000, "vsop"
wrote:

It was perhaps the day our central heating condensing boiler packed-up
because the drain outlet froze, apparently a common feature of this type of
boiler....according to today's Daily Mail.

I have 3 friends who all had just the same problem just before
Christmas. A very bad design fault. The remedy in all cases was
simple; break up the ice with a hammer!

Pam in Bristol

Old 30-12-2010, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

It was perhaps the day our central heating condensing boiler packed-up
because the drain outlet froze, apparently a common feature of this type of
boiler....according to today's Daily Mail.

I have 3 friends who all had just the same problem just before
Christmas. A very bad design fault. The remedy in all cases was
simple; break up the ice with a hammer!

It's bad installation, not design of the boilers.

If the condensate drain is plumbed internally (probably best), or
plumbed in big enough bore pipe (I think 32mm is recommended generally,
and suitably lagged it should be ok.

Of course lagging by itself has limited effect. If freezing is a problem
in these situatiosn then heat tape under the lagging will stop the
freezing

Unfortunately, lots have been installed with badly installed drainage,
and it was got away with becuase we had a run of faily mild winters. but
it's only in the last couple of colder winters, those chickens have coem
home to roost.

Well, at least the plumbers can make a few bob putting it right :-)
--
Chris French

Old 30-12-2010, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I have just been in my garden to look at my Max/Min thermometer.
Minimum has been -12 and Max, this morning, is +8 or 9.
What have others recorded?
Everything looks very sad and I need to get out with secateurs and a
sack!

Pam in Bristol

I don't have a max/min thermometer but I do see the effects of the icy
conditions. A concrete path laid 6 years ago(in bays of about 4 ft) had one
section lift about 1.2 inch during the coldest spell, but now the thaw has
started, it has descended to it's proper place. A few concrete blocks have
"blown" out by the freezeing conditions, they will have to be replaced at
some time.

Bill

Old 30-12-2010, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , chris French
writes
In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

[...]

I think there is just a bit of hindsight involved here.
It was a design oversight because it was never mentioned in any of the
training or installation instructions.
The pipe diameter on mine is as specified.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 30-12-2010, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donwill" wrote in message
On 29/12/2010 11:30, vsop wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

I'm a bit late entering this thread, but haveing done a bit of Googlong I
found this site:-

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/hom...iler-enquiries

Having viewed the video contained therein, I see that my condensate pipe is
22mm - not the recommended 32mm, nor is it lagged. It is an external pipe.
The installers were BRITISH GAS. I wonder if they've been properly trained
?

Bill

Old 30-12-2010, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Donwill" wrote in message
On 29/12/2010 11:30, vsop wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/hom...e/common-winte
r-boiler-enquiries

Having viewed the video contained therein, I see that my condensate pipe is
22mm - not the recommended 32mm, nor is it lagged. It is an external pipe.
The installers were BRITISH GAS. I wonder if they've been properly trained
?

Bill

When was it installed?
If you follow the link to HHIC there is no mention of size of pipe.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

Old 31-12-2010, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I'm a bit late entering this thread, but haveing done a bit of Googlong I
found this site:-

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/hom...e/common-winte
r-boiler-enquiries

Having viewed the video contained therein, I see that my condensate pipe
is
22mm - not the recommended 32mm, nor is it lagged. It is an external pipe.
The installers were BRITISH GAS. I wonder if they've been properly
trained
?

Bill

When was it installed?

My system was installed about two yeaers ago - the mention of the 32mm pipe
was in the video on the Worcester.Bosch website mentioned above.

Bill

Old 31-12-2010, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 22:46:40 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Donwill" wrote in message
On 29/12/2010 11:30, vsop wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/hom...ice/common-win
ter-boiler-enquiries

Having viewed the video contained therein, I see that my condensate pipe is
22mm - not the recommended 32mm, nor is it lagged. It is an external pipe.
The installers were BRITISH GAS. I wonder if they've been properly trained
?

Bill

When was it installed?
If you follow the link to HHIC there is no mention of size of pipe.

URL:http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/hom...rvice/common-w
inter-boiler-enquiries
"Step 4 The condensate pipe is a plastic pipe (black, white or grey), coming
from the bottom of your boiler. If this pipe is less than 32mm in diameter and
runs outside of the property or through a non-heated area then it should be
fully insulated with waterproof lagging. If it is not fully lagged and the 3
criteria (in step 1 above) apply then it is likely that it is frozen and needs
to be thawed."

My comment referred o the HHIC site
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 31-12-2010, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Grey
writes

I'm a bit late entering this thread, but haveing done a bit of Googlong I
found this site:-

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/hom...e/common-winte
r-boiler-enquiries

Having viewed the video contained therein, I see that my condensate pipe
is
22mm - not the recommended 32mm, nor is it lagged. It is an external pipe.
The installers were BRITISH GAS. I wonder if they've been properly
trained
?

Bill

When was it installed?

My system was installed about two yeaers ago - the mention of the 32mm pipe
was in the video on the Worcester.Bosch website mentioned above.

Bill

The question is whether it did at the time of your installation. If it
did then I would suggest you ask BGAS why it was not installed in
accordance with manufacturers instructions.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , hugh
] writes
In message , Bill Grey
writes

[...]

Just to follow this up, I've dug out the installation manual from 3
years ago. It is a little more ambiguous. 22mm provided it is wrapped in
weather protection or you could (not should) use 32mm unwrapped.

It does however stipulate that if it runs into a gully it should
terminate below ground level but above the water.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

max international, mlm business opportunity, MaxGXL, networkmarketing opportunity , Max GXL, MaxWLX, Max N-fuze, Max WLX, m Orchids 0 19-09-2009 06:12 PM
Min/Max Thermometer Broadback United Kingdom 8 02-02-2007 01:03 AM
min/max temps Phil L United Kingdom 1 08-03-2005 05:56 AM
Min & Max temps to chit spuds? keith ;-\) United Kingdom 4 17-02-2005 09:11 PM
calibrating max/min jim United Kingdom 5 10-10-2004 09:23 PM