Old 26-03-2011, 06:31 AM
Registered User

Location: China
Default accessing urg through outlook express

up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through Outlook Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of following a thread.It seems I might not have the right set up. (I would prefer to use Outlook Express rather than anything else) Would really appreciate some advice as to what I should do? (Apologies for not explaining myself very well - And please, the simplest piece of advice would probably be really helpful)
Old 26-03-2011, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 06:31:59 -0000, iwcwatch
wrote:

up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great
for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm
beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a
newsreader (newsgroup?).

You're right. It's much better to access any newsgroup directly, rather
than via the wretched Banter thing that doesn't copy the threads correctly.

This guide should help you set up your newsreader...

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...k-express.html
Old 26-03-2011, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"iwcwatch" wrote
up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great
for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm
beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a
newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through Outlook
Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of following a
thread'.' It seems
I might not have the right set up. (I would prefer to use Outlook
Express rather than anything else) Would really appreciate some advice
as to what I should do? (Apologies for not explaining myself very well -
And please, the simplest piece of advice would probably be really helpful)

I do hope your ISP carries Newsgroups, some don't these days. If they don't
you could subscribe to www.news.individual.net for Eu10 per annum. Worth it
anyway as they filter out much of the spam and troll posts.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-03-2011, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"iwcwatch" wrote

Or use Eternal September (http://www.eternal-september.org/) or Albasani
(http://www.albasani.net/index.html.en) if you want free access.

--

Jeff
Old 26-03-2011, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:56:30 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

[...]

Eternal-september certainly works well for me. But I don't think
Outlook Express is still running, is it? I thought M$ had migrated its
news reading service to Windows Live, whose newsreader is awful -- but
maybe that's only with later versions of Windows. I reluctantly run
Win7, and I disliked the new thing so much that I coughed up the 29
dollars' lifetime fee for Agent.

--
Mike.

Old 26-03-2011, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 18:17:21 -0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

"iwcwatch" wrote
[...]

I endorse your recommendation of NIN which I think is excellent.

However since the OP says "all I get are loads of emails with no means of
following a
thread" it does seem that he is getting a news feed but cannot display it
correctly.
Old 26-03-2011, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:56:30 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

Or use Eternal September (http://www.eternal-september.org/) or Albasani
(http://www.albasani.net/index.html.en) if you want free access.

Or use many of them at the same time (I use 4).

Hamster is your friend :-

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...-Hamster.shtml

HTH.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 27-03-2011, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/03/2011 21:35, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:56:30 +0000, Jeff Layman

Or use Eternal September (http://www.eternal-september.org/) or Albasani
(http://www.albasani.net/index.html.en) if you want free access.

Albasani limits the number of messages that you can post in one day to
quite a small number.

Can't say that I've ever had a problem as I don't post many in a day.
Where is the limit stated on the Albasani webpages?

--

Jeff
Old 27-03-2011, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"RG" wrote ...
Bob Hobden wrote:
"iwcwatch" wrote
[...]

I thought he meant he was seeing that through the Gardenbanter site.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 27-03-2011, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

thread'.' (http://www.watchesreplicaus.com/tudor-replica.html )It seems
I might not have the right set up. (I would prefer to use Outlook
Express rather than anything else) Would really appreciate some advice
as to what I should do? (Apologies for not explaining myself very well -
And please, the simplest piece of advice would probably be really
helpful)

Use an ISP like virgin, bt or several ohers!

Alan

Old 27-03-2011, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"iwcwatch" wrote ...

up till now I've been happily accessing URG through Garden Banter, great
for me, so I thought, but thanks to helpful advice on another thread I'm
beginning to realise I would be better off accessing through a
newsreader (newsgroup?).

I have set up what I thought was the right access to URG through Outlook
Express but all I get are loads of emails with no means of following a
thread'.' (http://www.watchesreplicaus.com/tudor-replica.html )It seems
I might not have the right set up. (I would prefer to use Outlook
Express rather than anything else) Would really appreciate some advice
as to what I should do? (Apologies for not explaining myself very well -
And please, the simplest piece of advice would probably be really
helpful)

Having re-read your post it may be all you need to do is go to "View" and
change the "Sort by..." to "Sent (conversation)" and "Sort Order" to
"Descending".
That is for the new Outlook Express which is now called Windows Live Mail
but from memory it was in the old program.... go to View then change "Sort
by..." to "Sent" and "Descending" and again in View then "Current View"
tick "Show all messages" and " Group by conversation"

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-03-2011, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 17:03:33 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"iwcwatch" wrote ...

[...]

Bob, it might be a good idea to explain to the OP how to /get/ to
newsgroups from Windows Live. I've just tried, and have clearly
forgotten how -- it isn't necessarily intuitive.

But, iwcwatch, I'd still advise choosing another reader as soon as
you're technically confident, as the Windows one is broken: it handles
quoted messages incorrectly (as you know!), and I understand they
aren't likely to repair it.

You'll need a news server as well as a news reader, of course.

--
Mike.
Old 28-03-2011, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"iwcwatch" wrote ...

[...]

Click the "Folders" tab and Newsgroups is on the left. Click that and you
should download all your ISP's Newsgroups, then you choose which newsgroup
you want and subscribe (it's free) and then you will see Newsgroups in the
shortcuts at bottom left and when you click that all newsgroups you are
subscribed to will show.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden