Old 14-04-2011, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any 2-stroke strimmer mechanics here?

Hello,

I have a B&Q 2-stroke strimmer which has a problem. The starting chord is
stuck in the out-position and wonn't retract. I am trying to get at the
winding pully etc. to see what is wrong. I removed the main strimming arm,
via 4 screws and can now see a centrifugal clutch (looks like a rusty disk
with a small shaft protruding at the very top, in my photo:

http://tinyurl.com/6xhvczu

How do I remove the centrifugal clutch so that I can remove the main green
plastic casing?

Many thanks,

AL
Old 14-04-2011, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a B&Q 2-stroke strimmer which has a problem. The starting chord is
stuck in the out-position and wonn't retract. I am trying to get at the
winding pully etc. to see what is wrong. I removed the main strimming arm,
via 4 screws and can now see a centrifugal clutch (looks like a rusty disk
with a small shaft protruding at the very top, in my photo:

http://tinyurl.com/6xhvczu

How do I remove the centrifugal clutch so that I can remove the main green
plastic casing?

What's down the centre of that shaft? There may be a screw of some sort down
there which you can't see for crud. Or are there splines inside that shaft?
You may need to use them to remove that cluch cover (It may well be left
hand thread). I'm assuming that the three (of presumably four ) marks I can
see on the drum are spot welds, and not some form of fastener.

HTH
Steve

Old 14-04-2011, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day al,

not sure i can add much more, hard to say if those marks we can see
are spot welds or maybe screws of some sort?(if screws could need and
impact tool for loosening/tightening) as suggested look down into the
shaft could be a screw holding it all in place, if so it may need an
impact tool to loosen and then retighten it?

also that partmight screw off/on teh crankshaft, which then need a
special stop to screw into teh spark plug hole to stop piston while
you unscrew it, would be left hand thread then i would suggest.

try and search up a service manual for it that may help.

also the machine maybe an unservicable machine, throw away type.

i would also suggest at this stage take it to a service centre for
garden machinery and ask there if they can remove the clutch housing
for you that should not cost a lot.

also you need to find out if parts are available to repair the
starter.

keep us informed

just did a search on b&q all points to them being homelite? is that
right?

On 14 Apr 2011 10:55:24 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and not live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 14-04-2011, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

gardenlen wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for the help, gents. Those spots you both asked about are not
screws; they may be spot-welds. There is no screw down the center of that
square shaft either. I guess the clutch it may be screwed onto the drive
shaft. I will try removing the spark plug as suggested, so I can lock the
piston while unscrewing.

"homelite".. I don't know; There is no brand name on this machine. Prolly
maide in China ehwot?

Regards

Al
Old 14-04-2011, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in
:

Thanks for the help, gents. Those spots you both asked about are not
screws; they may be spot-welds. There is no screw down the center of
that square shaft either. I guess the clutch it may be screwed onto
the drive shaft. I will try removing the spark plug as suggested, so I
can lock the piston while unscrewing.

"homelite".. I don't know; There is no brand name on this machine.
Prolly maide in China ehwot?

PS... "ALM" seems to be the brand; I googled the model number which is:
TRY25PGTA

No manual online unfortunately.

Old 15-04-2011, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in news:Xns9EC778328E026zzzzzz@
130.133.4.11:

http://tinyurl.com/6xhvczu

Is this a B&Q strimmer?
If it is then i am not sure it can be fixed, at least not easily and not
permanent.

If you give me the name and model number it would be easy to check.

Baz
Old 15-04-2011, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day al,

in good quality machines there will be a service tool to screw in the
spark plug hole and act as a stop. but it does sound more like that
the clutch is screwed onto the crankshaft.

On 14 Apr 2011 19:16:58 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

gardenlen wrote in
:

snipped

Old 15-04-2011, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

there are forums online i did stumble across one once where people
have access to all sorts of service manuals, at a price? might be
worth a search? but then i suppose if a machine is made as
unservicable then that won't be the case.

might be time to think about shouting yourself a new one?

On 14 Apr 2011 19:34:22 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

"AL_n" wrote in
:

snipped

Old 15-04-2011, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in news:Xns9EC8A1A5CFD88bazfawltycom@
69.16.176.253:

Is this a B&Q strimmer?
If it is then i am not sure it can be fixed, at least not easily and not
permanent.

If you give me the name and model number it would be easy to check.

TRY25PGTA is the model number. I googled that and it seems to be ALM brand
(sold by B&Q)
Old 15-04-2011, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day al,

in good quality machines there will be a service tool to screw in the
spark plug hole and act as a stop. but it does sound more like that
the clutch is screwed onto the crankshaft.

Those of us who are "of an age" Would feed yards of string in though the
plug hole to stop the piston. But be sure to leave the loose end hanging out
:-)

Steve

Old 16-04-2011, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in
:

Baz wrote in news:Xns9EC8A1A5CFD88bazfawltycom@
69.16.176.253:

Is this a B&Q strimmer?
If it is then i am not sure it can be fixed, at least not easily and
not permanent.

If you give me the name and model number it would be easy to check.

TRY25PGTA is the model number. I googled that and it seems to be ALM
brand (sold by B&Q)

As it is a bank holiday I think that we are fooked. I have rang this number
with no answer today.

01423 797208

On Tuesday would you ring the number and speak to them please.

ALM manufacture a range of consumable parts and accessories suitable for
all top selling Lawnmowers, Grass Trimmers, Chainsaws and Greenhouses.
Produced in the UK and supplied attractively packaged in small outers ideal
for Garden Centres, DIY and Hardware shops.
ST JAMES BUSINESS PARK, KNARESBOROUGH, HG5 8PJ, UNITED KINGDOM,
T: 01423 797208 | F: 01423 865228

Don't let them sweet-talk you. This IS the company you need to talk to.
If you have no luck go to Consumer Direct and they will, I promise, sort
something out. A new one? Who knows.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/consumer-advice/oft-and-cd/

Best luck
Baz
Old 16-04-2011, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in
:

"AL_n" wrote in
:

[...]

OK - Much obliged for your help. I'll give that number a call.

Al

Old 2 stroke mcculloch strimmer Whiteshepherd86 Gardening 2 23-01-2017 10:20 PM
Strimmer advice needed. (was How to rewind line on to strimmer head?) Adam Lipscombe United Kingdom 2 22-05-2008 02:22 PM
4 stroke Hedge Trimmers - Any experiences ?? Mr Big United Kingdom 8 14-06-2006 10:16 AM
Mowers - 2 stroke vs 4 stroke MK Australia 8 15-05-2005 03:08 PM