Old 11-05-2011, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Buying from Amazon

Has anyone any experience, good or bad, about buying from Amazon?

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

'Mike' wrote:

Has anyone any experience, good or bad, about buying from Amazon?

I've bought loads of things from Amazon over the years and never had a
bad experience yet.

--
Chris
Old 11-05-2011, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 May 2011 11:36:49 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Has anyone any experience, good or bad, about buying from Amazon?

Mike

I have been buying from Amazon and associated sellers for years and
never had any problems.

Steve

--
Neural network applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 11-05-2011, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 May 2011 'Mike' wrote:

Has anyone any experience, good or bad, about buying from Amazon?

All good. Any problems are sorted out immediately. What do you want to
know?

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 11-05-2011, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 11 May 2011 'Mike' wrote:

Has anyone any experience, good or bad, about buying from Amazon?

All good. Any problems are sorted out immediately. What do you want to
know?

David

http://rance.org.uk

"Any problems are sorted out immediately" Can you elaborate on what problems
you have had and how they were sorted please?

Old 11-05-2011, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/05/2011 14:03, 'Mike' wrote:
"David wrote in message
news
On Wed, 11 May 2011 'Mike' wrote:

Has anyone any experience, good or bad, about buying from Amazon?

All good. Any problems are sorted out immediately. What do you want to
know?

"Any problems are sorted out immediately" Can you elaborate on what problems
you have had and how they were sorted please?

For example it snowed a heck of a lot before Christmas leaving lots of
orphanned parcels stuck in snowed up delivery companies. Amazon were
extremely helpful in chasing up one that had mislaid my order (or more
accurately were operating a LIFO stack where my parcel never made it
close enough to the top of the incoming heap to even "arrive" at the
sorting office. This was worrying after week had elapsed. Tracking
showed only that it had left Amazons warehouse 10 days earlier. The
delivery company just stonewalled me until Amazon started beating them
up. I think that is the only time I have needed their customer service
in more than a decade of using them (and US Amazon before that).

There is only so much holdline "musack" and "we value your custom"
recordings ending in dead air I can take before using bigger guns.
Amazon were brilliant and a couple of days later the parcel was found.
It wasn't in fact Amazon's fault their carrier failed to deliver but
they took full responsibility for getting the order fulfilled. When I
complained at first it looked like the untraceable package had been
stolen in all the confusion. They said they would replace it.

Most stuff from Amazon just arrives as advertised on the scheduled
delivery date or slightly before if you are lucky.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 11-05-2011, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 May 2011 'Mike' wrote:

Has anyone any experience, good or bad, about buying from Amazon?

All good. Any problems are sorted out immediately. What do you want to
know?

"Any problems are sorted out immediately" Can you elaborate on what problems
you have had and how they were sorted please?

A few months ago I bought a new motherboard. The LAN port didn't work. I
filled in a returns document and requested a new motherboard. It arrived
the next day even before I'd despatched the faulty one back to them. I
also received a postage-paid label so I didn't even have to pay for
returning the faulty goods to them.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 11-05-2011, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 11/05/2011 14:03, 'Mike' wrote:
"David wrote in message
news
On Wed, 11 May 2011 'Mike' wrote:

[...]

Thanks everybody.

Why did I ask?

My experience of mail order has been .................. sorry, if I were to
use the appropriate words I would be chucked off.

My feelings from experience in the past is that they, the companies using
mail order, are 'on the make'

Shoddy 2nd class stuff, not 1st class as advertised and when you
telephone/write to complain "Sorry Sir, never had this problem before, in
fact you are the first person to complain" ..... Oh yes?

Stuff they couldn't get rid of in their shop/from their catalogue, 'mail
order it, they won't complain about the crap'

Not arrived and when chased up "Well it was dispatched, let me check, 6 (or
something) days ago. I will put another in the post. We value your custom
...... etc :-((( .... (Yes I came down with the last shower of rain)

Too many to list and I have fought shy of mail order companies off loading
their crap to me, and always will if they are 'getting rid of stuff as a
mail order company' ..........

BUT

Amazon seem different and I have to be honest, I was 'looking' for
complaints because ................. we have used them three times now and
cannot fault the system.

My wife is in the final year of an Open University degree and the workload
is horrendous and what happened? The power supply to her computer went belly
up, so she was sharing mine, but, I was out last night doing a live
presentation, out the other afternoon assisting in the same, so she could
not use my power supply.

Amazon to the rescue. Ordered one ..... ""Delivery 11th - 13th May""
Arrived this morning

We needed a shredder last year. Posted on here for recommendations. You
recommended a Bosch. Ordered on Amazon, 2 days later, guess what? I was
shredding in the garden

It seems that Amazon is the one to use.

Thanks for your response. Confirms what I thought.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 May 2011 'Mike' wrote:

Has anyone any experience, good or bad, about buying from Amazon?

All good. Any problems are sorted out immediately. What do you want to
know?

"Any problems are sorted out immediately" Can you elaborate on what
problems
you have had and how they were sorted please?

A few months ago I bought a new motherboard. The LAN port didn't work. I
filled in a returns document and requested a new motherboard. It arrived
the next day even before I'd despatched the faulty one back to them. I
also received a postage-paid label so I didn't even have to pay for
returning the faulty goods to them.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Thank you David. I posted a reply before I read this one.

Many thanks.

Confirms my thoughts, if I wish to do 'mail order business', I will go
through Amazon :-))

Kind regards

Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 May 2011 'Mike' wrote:

Has anyone any experience, good or bad, about buying from Amazon?

All good. Any problems are sorted out immediately. What do you want to
know?

"Any problems are sorted out immediately" Can you elaborate on what
problems
you have had and how they were sorted please?

A few months ago I bought a new motherboard. The LAN port didn't work. I
filled in a returns document and requested a new motherboard. It arrived
the next day even before I'd despatched the faulty one back to them. I
also received a postage-paid label so I didn't even have to pay for
returning the faulty goods to them.

Thank you David. I posted a reply before I read this one.

Many thanks.

Confirms my thoughts, if I wish to do 'mail order business', I will go
through Amazon :-))

Well, Amazon themselves are pretty reliable but be careful if
third-party vendors are selling through Amazon (the so-called Amazon
Market Place). They are not quite so reliable. I haven't had bad
experiences from them but others have. I think Amazon gets rid of them
when that happens, but unfortunately it does happen sometimes. Most
third-party vendors are reliable but the odd 1 or 2 per cent are not.

Make sure that the advert says "Dispatched from and sold by
Amazon.co.uk". If it doesn't then it's being sold by a third-party
vendor, so beware!

One thing I've found is that if Amazon is selling the goods they usually
arrive well before the promised date. Third-party vendors almost always
get the goods to you by the promised date but rarely before, and
sometimes after.

That's my experience anyway, and I use them quite a lot.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 11-05-2011, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 May 2011 'Mike' wrote:

[...]

Thanks David.

I still think that "Mail Order" is a rip off by those selling, but Amazon
seem to have it under control.

I like to see the people selling to me and talk face to face. There are
sufficient outlets to hand with face to face contact, why would a company do
mail order if it's not a 'quick and easy buck'? OR, to get rid of naff
stock? ........ Which I am certain is the answer.

Argos is a massive organisation and I have used them time and time again.
Bought a very expensive camera from them. It went wrong, all the pictures
had a Magenta background. Had I bought that mail order, it would have had to
THEY sent it back.

Face to face. You can't beat it :-))

Old 11-05-2011, 07:54 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post

Most stuff from Amazon just arrives as advertised on the scheduled
delivery date or slightly before if you are lucky.
Also, they use Royal Mail which means stuff is delivered by a chap who waits for you to come to the door, rather than one who rings the doorbell as he drops the parcel, and who has already sprinted down the path and beck to his van before you get to the door.
__________________
Old 11-05-2011, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Has anyone any experience, good or bad, about buying from Amazon?

Mike

Never had a prob
Pete C

Old 11-05-2011, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote:

one who rings the
doorbell as he drops the parcel, and who has already sprinted down the
path and beck to his van before you get to the door.

He's afraid of Hyacinth?

Old 12-05-2011, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Has anyone any experience, good or bad, about buying from Amazon?

Mike

Excellent company to deal with.

Bill