Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default how long between applying glyphosate and chopping?

Hi All
we & the neighbours have a Jerusalem Vine (not sure if that's the
correct name, but never mind) growing between our gardens which I'd like to
get rid of. The neighbours are happy for me to attack it via our side of the
fence but I don't want to start going round their side too much to get at
where the lower parts originate.

I am planning to spray the parts which overhang our garden with with
Glyphosate, but I would also like to subsequently cut back as much of the
overhanging vine as possible.

How long should I wait after spraying before cutting back? That is, how
quickly will the Glyphosate travel back to the rest of the plan and do its
nasty business. A day? couple of days? or should I wait a week or so until
it's actually dying off?

Thanks
J^n

Old 02-06-2011, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 1, 11:29*pm, The Night Tripper wrote:
[...]

If you apply this weed killer it will kill the whole plant. There is
no possibilty of you doing what you describe.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Night Tripper" wrote

Hi All
we & the neighbours have a Jerusalem Vine (not sure if that's the
correct name, but never mind) growing between our gardens which I'd like
get rid of. The neighbours are happy for me to attack it via our side of
the
fence but I don't want to start going round their side too much to get at
where the lower parts originate.

I am planning to spray the parts which overhang our garden with with
Glyphosate, but I would also like to subsequently cut back as much of the
overhanging vine as possible.

How long should I wait after spraying before cutting back? That is, how
quickly will the Glyphosate travel back to the rest of the plan and do its
nasty business. A day? couple of days? or should I wait a week or so until
it's actually dying off?

As long as you can spray a significant proportion of the plant you will kill
it completely, which is presumably what you and your neighbours desire.
However it can take some time for the plant to go completely brown and die
so I would give it at least a month before physically attacking it or you
may not kill the roots. It may need two applications if it's persistent.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-06-2011, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 23:29:46 +0100, The Night Tripper
wrote:

[...]

You'll know that the Glyphosate has reached the roots and started to work,
when the leaves begin to go brown. Then you can cut it back.

Spray it on a calm day, and if there are other plants nearby have a can of
water ready to drench them after spraying, just in case of drift.

NB. I will certainly NOT suggest that if it's a large plant the Glyphosate
would work better at double the recommended strength, because that would
be illegal.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Night Tripper" wrote in message
[...]

As others have said 21-28 days as a rule, I am assuming that killing the
plant completely is what you want?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 02-06-2011, 02:39 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
On Jun 1, 11:29*pm, The Night Tripper wrote:[i]

* * we & the neighbours have a Jerusalem Vine (not sure if that's the
correct name, but never mind) growing between our gardens which I'd like to
get rid of. The neighbours are happy for me to attack it via our side of the
fence ]

If you apply this weed killer it will kill the whole plant. There is
no possibilty of you doing what you describe.
It will do *exactly* what the OP describes, ie "get rid of" it, "via the OP's side of the fence"
__________________
Old 02-06-2011, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 2, 2:39*pm, kay wrote:[i]
harry;925191 Wrote:

On Jun 1, 11:29*pm, The Night Tripper wrote:

* * we & the neighbours have a Jerusalem Vine (not sure if that's the
correct name, but never mind) growing between our gardens which I'd
like to
get rid of. The neighbours are happy for me to attack it via our side
of the
fence ]

If you apply this weed killer it will kill the whole plant. *There is
no possibilty of you doing *what you describe.

It will do *exactly* what the OP describes, ie "get rid of" it, "via
the OP's side of the fence"

--
kay

I thought the nieghbour wanted to keep "their" bit?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Somehow there appears to be confusion here. Maybe the OP has set the
speakers too high and some of you don't understand what he/she is saying.
Let me quote ....

"" we & the neighbours have a Jerusalem Vine (not sure if that's the
correct name, but never mind) growing between our gardens which I'd like to
get rid of. The neighbours are happy for me to attack it via our side of the
fence but I don't want to start going round their side too much to get at
where the lower parts originate.""

Now let's take it in simple terms ....... ""which I'd like to
get rid of. The neighbours are happy for me to attack it ""

What part of ""GET RID OF"" do you not understand, given that the OP
carries on to say ""The neighbours are happy for me to attack it ""?

Kindest regards

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

The simple answer to your question is to spray, wait until the above
ground growth is dead, then wait about another week or so and chop.
The "another week" allows for the glyphoasate getting properly where
it's got to go. Above ground may well die before the roots have been
attacked properly.

FWIW, I've found that if you get the "pure" glyphosate (you'll find
Bayer Glyphosate all over the place and it's usually cheaper if you
buy it by the 500ml bottle rather than the sachet packs) it'll work
quicker than the various products that contain it.

Jake
Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Harry, Janet

If you apply this weed killer it will kill the whole plant. There is
no possibilty of you doing what you describe.

except that I've done it before - sprayed the thing and the whole plant
hasn't died.

You might argue as to the reasons - insufficient spray, too concentrated/not
concentrated enought, ro whatever. But it's not a black and white situation.

I want to at least get the plant under control, without having to go round
to the neighbour's side and sort it out there. If it dies along the way,
fine by me. But just hacking my part back doesn't work, as evidenced in
previous years. Hence the question.

Regards
Jon N

Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Night Tripper" wrote .

Hi Harry, Janet

If you apply this weed killer it will kill the whole plant. There
is
no possibility of you doing what you describe.

except that I've done it before - sprayed the thing and the whole plant
hasn't died.

You might argue as to the reasons - insufficient spray, too
concentrated/not
concentrated enough, or whatever. But it's not a black and white
situation.

I want to at least get the plant under control, without having to go round
to the neighbour's side and sort it out there. If it dies along the way,
fine by me. But just hacking my part back doesn't work, as evidenced in
previous years. Hence the question.

Common reason for it not killing the plant is being impatient and cutting
off the top growth too soon before the poison has done it work at the roots.
Wait till the whole plant has gone brown, no green at all. Sometimes a
second application is needed.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-06-2011, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve Harris" wrote..

Bob Hobden wrote:

Wait till the whole plant has gone brown, no green at all. Sometimes a
second application is needed.

Don't think you have to wait quite that long with Glyphosate.

In my experience, it's very slow. After a week, you may notice no change.
After a few weeks, the
plant is no longer thriving. It can take over a month to get to the stage
you describe but the
plant is doomed much earlier.

Belt and braces was what I was suggesting (especially for those nasty weeds
like Bindweed).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden