Old 09-08-2011, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Insect bite (again!!)

Same damned thing that bit me on the hand and my whole hand puffed up, but
this time it's bitten me right in the middle of my shin. :-(
A 2mm initial bite spot (actually, there are 2 of them, only one has reacted
/very/ badly) has turned into a dark red patch about 2cm across, a raised
bump about 6cm x 10cm. And it aches.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-08-09 23:00:57 +0100, said:

Same damned thing that bit me on the hand and my whole hand puffed up, but
this time it's bitten me right in the middle of my shin. :-(
A 2mm initial bite spot (actually, there are 2 of them, only one has reacted
/very/ badly) has turned into a dark red patch about 2cm across, a raised
bump about 6cm x 10cm. And it aches.

Do you have any clue if this is a spider bit, Vicky? Were you in the
same area of the garden/allotment when you were bitten? There are some
spider bites that cause allergic reactions and Ray had something
similar on his lip a couple of years ago, though it didn't hurt at all,
just went numb and large swelling.

From a Sun/Mirror/Mail/etc. headline:

Venomous Spiders Attack Gardeners

There are, but don't jump to conclusions. A huge number of insects
(in the old sense, including spiders, mites and centipedes) can do
that, and it's almost impossible to tell which unless you notice
the bite/sting. The majority tend to be called flies or midges
because they, er, often fly and are often small :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jeff Layman wrote:
Go to your local pharmacy and get some loratidine or cetirizine
antihistamine tablets (these are "non-drowsy"). This will help dampen
the response to the bite. Also get some hydrocortisone-based cream to
rub on the bite.

It took a few days before realising what it was. It felt like I'd walked
into something and it had bruised and swollen. I've been putting anti
histamine cream on it the last 2 nights, I would have taken an AH tablet but
I think they have accidentally gone to visit my mum in the boys' suitcase.

As you react so badly, you might want to consider using insect-repellent
spray or cream before venturing into the garden for any length of time.

It only happens once or twice a year, and tbh, I don't think about it until
it occurs. Mosquitoes are annoying, but don't cause anything like that
problem (they did when I was pregnant and in Italy, though!)

From previous suggestions, the most likely culprit to my mind is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blandford_fly

My next door neighbour suggested red ants, Nick thinks it's a spider (but he
would, he's a little spider-phobic)
Old 10-08-2011, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Do you have any clue if this is a spider bit, Vicky? Were you in the

Nick thinks it's a spider. We do have many spiders on the allotment.

same area of the garden/allotment when you were bitten? There are some

I was all over the allotment. :-/
My best guess is that it's in the current bushes, but it could be just about
anywhere.

spider bites that cause allergic reactions and Ray had something
similar on his lip a couple of years ago, though it didn't hurt at all,
just went numb and large swelling.

It's very much not numb. It /hurts/. It really aches, like a bad bruise

Old 10-08-2011, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Aug 2011 22:00:57 GMT, wrote:

Same damned thing that bit me on the hand and my whole hand puffed up, but
this time it's bitten me right in the middle of my shin. :-(
A 2mm initial bite spot (actually, there are 2 of them, only one has reacted
/very/ badly) has turned into a dark red patch about 2cm across, a raised
bump about 6cm x 10cm. And it aches.

ow!

The bite on my leg was itchy so I scratched it over the weekend... (It
hadn't hurt at the time) and then it went all red and sore and hot.
Trip to the pharmacy got me some hydrocortisone cream.

By Tuesday morning it was red hot and spreading out so I went to the
walk in centre where they gave me antibiotics.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 10-08-2011, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay Kay is offline

On 10/08/2011 09:43, in article , "Jeff
Layman" wrote:

Go to your local pharmacy and get some loratidine or cetirizine
antihistamine tablets (these are "non-drowsy"). This will help dampen
the response to the bite. Also get some hydrocortisone-based cream to
rub on the bite.

As you react so badly, you might want to consider using insect-repellent
spray or cream before venturing into the garden for any length of time.

Two other thoughts. I find Savlon works quite well in the absence of
anything else - I believe it has a low level anaesthetic effect (same stuff
as teething gel I believe) so it relieves local irritation quite well.

Afterbite and similar sticks contain some sort of ammonia compound, and
again relieve itching afterwards. I've found that they also seem to reduce
the swelling and blistering that I usually get from mozzie bites (I usually
get swelling as described by the OP, and a central area up to 1cm across of
yellow fluid-fillied blisters).

Old 10-08-2011, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Kay wrote:
Afterbite and similar sticks contain some sort of ammonia compound, and
again relieve itching afterwards. I've found that they also seem to reduce
the swelling and blistering that I usually get from mozzie bites (I usually
get swelling as described by the OP, and a central area up to 1cm across of
yellow fluid-fillied blisters).

Definitely wasn't a mosquito - no itching, just a central dimple (presumably
where the bite started), a widening dark red patch, and a widening (but
shrinking again now, fortunately) raised swollen patch, which was very warm
to the touch when it was at it's peak.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On 10 Aug 2011 14:27:01 GMT, wrote:
Kay wrote:
Afterbite and similar sticks contain some sort of ammonia compound, and
again relieve itching afterwards. I've found that they also seem to reduce
the swelling and blistering that I usually get from mozzie bites (I usually
get swelling as described by the OP, and a central area up to 1cm across of
yellow fluid-fillied blisters).

Definitely wasn't a mosquito - no itching, just a central dimple (presumably
where the bite started), a widening dark red patch, and a widening (but
shrinking again now, fortunately) raised swollen patch, which was very warm
to the touch when it was at it's peak.

A warm raised swelling patch is probably a spider bite rather than an
insect. Most spider bites hurt immediately but false widows get away
before any pain or swelling is noticed. They usually get better in a
day or two.

Not in the UK, it isn't. There are damn few British spiders that
can bite through the skin on most areas of most people, and those
symptoms are common in reaction to insect bites.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kay wrote:
Afterbite and similar sticks contain some sort of ammonia compound, and
again relieve itching afterwards. I've found that they also seem to reduce
the swelling and blistering that I usually get from mozzie bites (I usually
get swelling as described by the OP, and a central area up to 1cm across of
yellow fluid-fillied blisters).

Definitely wasn't a mosquito - no itching, just a central dimple (presumably
where the bite started), a widening dark red patch, and a widening (but
shrinking again now, fortunately) raised swollen patch, which was very warm
to the touch when it was at it's peak.

A warm raised swelling patch is probably a spider bite rather than an
insect. Most spider bites hurt immediately but false widows get away
before any pain or swelling is noticed. They usually get better in a
day or two.

Steve

--
Neural network applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 10-08-2011, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote

Same damned thing that bit me on the hand and my whole hand puffed up, but
this time it's bitten me right in the middle of my shin. :-(
A 2mm initial bite spot (actually, there are 2 of them, only one has
reacted
/very/ badly) has turned into a dark red patch about 2cm across, a raised
bump about 6cm x 10cm. And it aches.

I've always assumed they were Horse Flies, get bitten a couple of times
every year. Always a hard lump/swelling and some discomfort for a couple of
days and then if I'm unlucky it opens up to a weepy scabby sore.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 10-08-2011, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Kay wrote:
Afterbite and similar sticks contain some sort of ammonia compound, and
again relieve itching afterwards. I've found that they also seem to reduce
the swelling and blistering that I usually get from mozzie bites (I usually
get swelling as described by the OP, and a central area up to 1cm across of
yellow fluid-fillied blisters).

Definitely wasn't a mosquito - no itching, just a central dimple (presumably
where the bite started), a widening dark red patch, and a widening (but
shrinking again now, fortunately) raised swollen patch, which was very warm
to the touch when it was at it's peak.

No, I wasn't suggesting it was. But since some of the symptoms were the same
- the raised patch, warmth to the touch - I thought it was worth mentioning.
Might be helpful to someone else reading the thread if not to you.

okeydoke. Just jumped in since you mentioned the OP, who is me. :-D
Old 10-08-2011, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay Kay is offline

On 10/08/2011 17:21, in article ,
" wrote:

okeydoke. Just jumped in since you mentioned the OP, who is me. :-D

Sorry, was just using shorthand to save describing the size of the bump.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

A warm raised swelling patch is probably a spider bite rather than an
insect. Most spider bites hurt immediately but false widows get away
before any pain or swelling is noticed. They usually get better in a
day or two.

Not in the UK, it isn't. There are damn few British spiders that
can bite through the skin on most areas of most people, and those
symptoms are common in reaction to insect bites.

My neighbour was in hospital with a spider bite. His leg looked like a
red tree stump. The consultant said it was a garden spider bite. They
don't bit too often thank goodness but false widows do. He said he was
seeing two or three a month at this time of year.

See this site for information about spider bytes in the UK.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/l.../spider-bites/

Sigh. 14 species out of c. 700 IS damn few. And, from that page:
When considering spider bites, caution is necessary because it is well
known that spiders often get the blame for bites and stings that are
actually caused by insects or even plants. Nevertheless, the incidents
quoted in this report are all considered to have been genuine cases of
spider bite.

Note: all 18 of them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Insect Bite No Name United Kingdom 27 06-08-2010 02:10 PM
White tail spider bite ulceration and necrotic lesions Paul Valente Australia 8 16-10-2004 07:08 AM
over bite tdreeves Ponds 1 13-12-2003 06:13 PM
Bless him he's passed out, nite, nite Bodger, dont let the bedbugs bite. Little Badger United Kingdom 0 23-03-2003 01:08 PM