Old 19-08-2011, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Veg ID please...

I have some of these growing among my beetroot, as the seed
came in the same packet I think they might be the same family.
Can anyone please identify them and let me know how to prepare
them for the table??

http://wally1002.tripod.com/wassit/DSCF0018.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Wally

Old 19-08-2011, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Aug 19, 3:06*pm, "Wally" wrote:
I have some of these growing among my beetroot, as the seed
came in the same packet I think they might be the same family.
Can anyone please identify them and let me know how to prepare
them for the table??

http://wally1002.tripod.com/wassit/DSCF0018.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Wally

Looks almost like young suggar beet to me.
Old 19-08-2011, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote ...

I have some of these growing among my beetroot, as the seed
came in the same packet I think they might be the same family.
Can anyone please identify them and let me know how to prepare
them for the table??

http://wally1002.tripod.com/wassit/DSCF0018.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Looks like Perennial spinach or Spinach beet.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 19-08-2011, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 19.08.2011 16:06, schrieb Wally:
I have some of these growing among my beetroot, as the seed
came in the same packet I think they might be the same family.
Can anyone please identify them and let me know how to prepare
them for the table??

http://wally1002.tripod.com/wassit/DSCF0018.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Wally

Search for 'mangelwurzel', it might be that.

I hope that helps,
Willi
Old 19-08-2011, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 3:06*pm, "Wally" wrote:
I have some of these growing among my beetroot, as the seed
came in the same packet I think they might be the same family.
Can anyone please identify them and let me know how to prepare
them for the table??

http://wally1002.tripod.com/wassit/DSCF0018.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Wally

You get these from time to timein beetroot. I just chuck them out.
Dunno what they taste like!

Old 19-08-2011, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Aug 19, 7:08*pm, harry wrote:
On Aug 19, 3:06*pm, "Wally" wrote:

I have some of these growing among my beetroot, as the seed
came in the same packet I think they might be the same family.
Can anyone please identify them and let me know how to prepare
them for the table??

http://wally1002.tripod.com/wassit/DSCF0018.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Wally

You get these from time to timein beetroot. *I just chuck them out.
Dunno what they taste like!

If you got the seed from one of the well known seed merchants then you
could try emailing them with a picture, they may have an answer, and/
or mat replace the seed.
Old 20-08-2011, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 19, 10:32*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
On Aug 19, 7:08*pm, harry wrote:

On Aug 19, 3:06*pm, "Wally" wrote:

I have some of these growing among my beetroot, as the seed
came in the same packet I think they might be the same family.
Can anyone please identify them and let me know how to prepare
them for the table??

http://wally1002.tripod.com/wassit/DSCF0018.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Wally

You get these from time to timein beetroot. *I just chuck them out.
Dunno what they taste like!

If you got the seed from one of the well known seed merchants then you
could try emailing them with a picture, they may have an answer, and/
or mat replace the seed.

I had three or four appeared last year among the red ones. None this
year. Some sort of throwback I assume.

I have seen it in carrots too (White ones) I belive carrot was bred
from from a plant that is poisonous.
Old 20-08-2011, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote in news:218b0897-e8cd-47f1-
:

On Aug 19, 3:06*pm, "Wally" wrote:
I have some of these growing among my beetroot, as the seed
came in the same packet I think they might be the same family.
Can anyone please identify them and let me know how to prepare
them for the table??

http://wally1002.tripod.com/wassit/DSCF0018.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Wally

Looks almost like young suggar beet to me.

Yes, looks like it.
Will go down nicely in the compost heap.

Baz
Old 21-08-2011, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:39:57 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Wally" wrote ...

I have some of these growing among my beetroot, as the seed
came in the same packet I think they might be the same family.
Can anyone please identify them and let me know how to prepare
them for the table??

http://wally1002.tripod.com/wassit/DSCF0018.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Looks like Perennial spinach or Spinach beet.

Yes; and if it isn't exactly a"spinach" variety, the leaves may do
just as well. Beetroot, sugar beet, spinach beet, mangels, they're all
varieties of the same species. (But you do have to like spinach beet,
and I don't like the flavour it seems to develop in my W Mids garden,
though I found it acceptable back in W Wales -- but that may just be a
change in my palate.)

--
Mike.
Old 21-08-2011, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
I have some of these growing among my beetroot, as the seed
came in the same packet I think they might be the same
family.
Can anyone please identify them and let me know how to
prepare
them for the table??

http://wally1002.tripod.com/wassit/DSCF0018.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Wally

Sounds like a throwback, lucky you! Have you tried eating
it as a beet or carrot or other root vegetable? Are the
leaves tasty, like cabbage? Could be a mangel-wurzl.
Anyway, let it sprout, keep the seed and sprout it as a
sprouting seed, like mung beans, in a bean sprouter. And eat
as bean sprouts, which cost a lot from the supermarket.

Old 23-08-2011, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 23:04:15 +0100, "someone"
wrote:

"Wally" wrote in message
I have some of these growing among my beetroot, as the seed
came in the same packet I think they might be the same
family.
Can anyone please identify them and let me know how to
prepare
them for the table??

http://wally1002.tripod.com/wassit/DSCF0018.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Wally

Sounds like a throwback, lucky you! Have you tried eating
it as a beet or carrot or other root vegetable? Are the
leaves tasty, like cabbage? Could be a mangel-wurzl.
Anyway, let it sprout, keep the seed and sprout it as a
sprouting seed, like mung beans, in a bean sprouter. And eat
as bean sprouts, which cost a lot from the supermarket.

Or buy some mung beans and sprout them: that way you get real bean
sprouts and not beet sprouts. Sorry if this is too simple-minded for
you.

Can I have some of what you're drinking? (I don't smoke any more.)

--
Mike.
Old 23-08-2011, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Wally" wrote in message
[...]

Our local garden centre sells seeds and beans of all
varieties, including cabbage, carrots, alfalfa, broccoli,
fenugreek, and of course cress, all especially for
sprouting. As long as you eat the sprouts while they're
small they're quite tasty. I let my lentils get too big
once and they were a bit tough as sprouts.

Old 24-08-2011, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Mike Lyle wrote:
Or buy some mung beans and sprout them: that way you get real bean
sprouts and not beet sprouts. Sorry if this is too simple-minded for
you.

That's like saying "why grow cabbages when you can just grow carrots
instead". There's nothing wrong with having sprouted seeds that aren't mung
bean sprouts! There are some other very popular ones, such as alfalfa bean
sprouts, and less common ones such as sprouted onion seeds - Thompson and
Morgan do a huge range of them (I had about 25 different types at one point,
before the mice got into them!)

Old 25-08-2011, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 23 Aug 2011 23:24:53 GMT, wrote:

Mike Lyle wrote:
Or buy some mung beans and sprout them: that way you get real bean
sprouts and not beet sprouts. Sorry if this is too simple-minded for
you.

That's like saying "why grow cabbages when you can just grow carrots
instead". There's nothing wrong with having sprouted seeds that aren't mung
bean sprouts! There are some other very popular ones, such as alfalfa bean
sprouts, and less common ones such as sprouted onion seeds - Thompson and
Morgan do a huge range of them (I had about 25 different types at one point,
before the mice got into them!)

Yes, but Someone (apols if you find the capital initiial offensive,
someone) said "And eat as bean sprouts, which cost a lot from the
supermarket."
A little pedantry goes a long way, I know, so I won't do it again
till my next turn comes round. I grow pea shoots, myself, when I can
remember.

--
Mike.
Old 25-08-2011, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Mike Lyle wrote:
Yes, but Someone (apols if you find the capital initiial offensive,
someone) said "And eat as bean sprouts, which cost a lot from the
supermarket."

Which is weird in another way, cos they don't (IME) cost very much at all!

A little pedantry goes a long way, I know, so I won't do it again
till my next turn comes round. I grow pea shoots, myself, when I can
remember.

Yeah, I know that feeling. I have many many out of date sprouting seeds as
well as all my other out of date seeds. And then when I do remember, I
forget to stop them turning into leafy plants!