Old 28-10-2011, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slippery decking

At this time of the year our decking wood becomes treacherously
slippery. In fact last year I slipped and fell damaging my right knee
which has never recovered. I'm wondering, is there anything I can put
on the wood to make it safer to walk on?
--
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you,
not because they are nice but because you are. Anon
Old 28-10-2011, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote in message
At this time of the year our decking wood becomes treacherously slippery.
In fact last year I slipped and fell damaging my right knee which has
never recovered. I'm wondering, is there anything I can put on the wood
to make it safer to walk on?
--
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you,
not because they are nice but because you are. Anon
http://ariesval.wordpress.com/

Yes you need a Ship's Chandler. There are self adhesive pads which you can
stick down. We used them during Boat Building on anything from small boats
to Fast Ferries. (I wasn't involved in that side, I was the Marine
Electrical Design Engineer, but have been thankful for the use when on
trials :-))

Or, when the decking is dry, paint/preserve it and whilst it is still wet,
scatter sand on it

Or, mix the sand in with the paint/preservative.

But your first stop is a ship's chandler.

Mike

Old 28-10-2011, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"AriesVal" wrote in message
[...]

Here's the sort of thing I mean.

http://www.nonslipshop.co.uk/?gclid=...Fcod4QodiiJgnw

Mike

Old 28-10-2011, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote in message
At this time of the year our decking wood becomes treacherously slippery.
In fact last year I slipped and fell damaging my right knee which has
never recovered. I'm wondering, is there anything I can put on the wood
to make it safer to walk on?
--
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you,
not because they are nice but because you are. Anon
http://ariesval.wordpress.com/

You've got me going now and 'Swinging the Lamp' :-))

How about this? And with different colours
http://www.discountantifoul.com/prem...ULfAodkhQmmQNo doubt others with a bit of boating experience will pop up withsuggestions sooner or ..... later ;-)Mike--...................................Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive....................................

Old 28-10-2011, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 15:45:04 +0100, AriesVal
wrote:

At this time of the year our decking wood becomes treacherously
slippery. In fact last year I slipped and fell damaging my right knee
which has never recovered. I'm wondering, is there anything I can put
on the wood to make it safer to walk on?

I can think of three options (assuming the problem isn't a build-up of
algae which you can pressure-wash off):

1) Cuprinol make a non-slip decking treatment but probably the wrong
time of year to apply it;
2) Spread some silver sand across the decking and as you walk on it
that will just roughen the surface a bit;
3) Next summer when you treat the decking and while the treatment is
still tacky, spread silver sand over it - a cheaper version of option
1.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where it's about
the same moisture-wise as the more wet end.

The cat's web site is at www.pillie.me.uk.

Old 28-10-2011, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote in message
At this time of the year our decking wood becomes treacherously slippery.
In fact last year I slipped and fell damaging my right knee which has
never recovered. I'm wondering, is there anything I can put on the wood
to make it safer to walk on?
--
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you,
not because they are nice but because you are. Anon
http://ariesval.wordpress.com/

You've got me going now and 'Swinging the Lamp' :-))

How about this? And with different colours

Right cock-up with the last posting :-(

http://www.discountantifoul.com/prem...FQULfAodkhQmmQ

Mike

Old 28-10-2011, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/2011 16:29, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
At this time of the year our decking wood becomes treacherously slippery.
In fact last year I slipped and fell damaging my right knee which has
never recovered. I'm wondering, is there anything I can put on the wood
to make it safer to walk on?
--
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you,
not because they are nice but because you are. Anon
http://ariesval.wordpress.com/

You've got me going now and 'Swinging the Lamp' :-))

How about this? And with different colours

Right cock-up with the last posting :-(

http://www.discountantifoul.com/prem...FQULfAodkhQmmQ

Mike

Thanks for those links Mike, sounds just the job

Old 28-10-2011, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

At this time of the year our decking wood becomes treacherously
slippery. In fact last year I slipped and fell damaging my right knee
which has never recovered. I'm wondering, is there anything I can put
on the wood to make it safer to walk on?

I can think of three options (assuming the problem isn't a build-up of
algae which you can pressure-wash off):

1) Cuprinol make a non-slip decking treatment but probably the wrong
time of year to apply it;
2) Spread some silver sand across the decking and as you walk on it
that will just roughen the surface a bit;
3) Next summer when you treat the decking and while the treatment is
still tacky, spread silver sand over it - a cheaper version of option
1.

Cheers, Jake

Thanks Jake, another good suggestion. Does sound like I need to
pressure wash it anyway as this particular part of the decking is on a
walkway to the back of our garage so needs something doing to it now.

Old 28-10-2011, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

*wrote:

[...]

not because they are nice but because you are. *Anonhttp://ariesval.wordpress.com/- Hide quoted text -

If it's a permanant walk way then you could do what local councils do
on wooden decked bridges and nail down 3/4" wire netting.
David
Old 28-10-2011, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/2011 18:46, Dave Hill wrote:
On Oct 28, 5:46 pm, wrote:
this particular part of the decking is on a
walkway to the back of our garage so needs something doing to it now.

If it's a permanant walk way then you could do what local councils do
on wooden decked bridges and nail down 3/4" wire netting.
David

Oh! but surely wire netting can be slippery too ?

Old 28-10-2011, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 28, 5:46 pm, wrote:
this particular part of the decking is on a
walkway to the back of our garage so needs something doing to it now.

If it's a permanant walk way then you could do what local councils do
on wooden decked bridges and nail down 3/4" wire netting.
David

Oh! but surely wire netting can be slippery too ?

--
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you,
not because they are nice but because you are. Anon
http://ariesval.wordpress.com/

and looks 'orrible :-((

Someone will now come up and say they have it and it looks wonderful :-((

Mike

Old 28-10-2011, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-10-28 17:46:58 +0100, AriesVal

wrote:

[...]

Do you have to keep the decking, Val? Could it be taken up and gravel or
even dense bark chippings be put down instead - iow something that will
allow rain to drain well? It may save you time, trouble and accident in
the longterm.

I think so Sacha. It's not actually part or connected to the raised
decking area. It was designed and put in by a previous owner and laid
higher than the ground underneath which is weed mat covered. Difficult
to explain clearly.

Old 28-10-2011, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote ...

Dave Hill wrote:
AriesVal wrote:
this particular part of the decking is on a
walkway to the back of our garage so needs something doing to it now.

If it's a permanant walk way then you could do what local councils do
on wooden decked bridges and nail down 3/4" wire netting.
David

Oh! but surely wire netting can be slippery too ?

Not in my experience, anti-rabbit type wire netting stapled on is used
extensively in Parks and Large Gardens and even boardwalks.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 29-10-2011, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-10-28 22:32:04 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"AriesVal" wrote ...

Dave Hill wrote:
AriesVal wrote:
this particular part of the decking is on a
walkway to the back of our garage so needs something doing to it now.

If it's a permanant walk way then you could do what local councils do
on wooden decked bridges and nail down 3/4" wire netting.
David

Oh! but surely wire netting can be slippery too ?

Not in my experience, anti-rabbit type wire netting stapled on is used
extensively in Parks and Large Gardens and even boardwalks.

We have it nailed over the wheelchair ramp that goes into the back door
leading to the tea room. Nobody has slipped on it, ever.

Sacha, does this wire netting have a special name or is it just plain
and simple chicken wire type netting ?

Old 29-10-2011, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/2011 23:44, Sacha wrote:
Do you have to keep the decking, Val? Could it be taken up and gravel or
even dense bark chippings be put down instead - iow something that will
allow rain to drain well? It may save you time, trouble and accident in
the longterm.

I think so Sacha. It's not actually part or connected to the raised
decking area. It was designed and put in by a previous owner and laid
higher than the ground underneath which is weed mat covered. Difficult
to explain clearly.

Sorry not to follow you clearly but does "I think so" mean you have to
keep it or that you could get rid of it? If there's weed suppressing
membrane there, that could still be covered with e.g. bark chippings as
rain draiins through it. But if it's a height difference problem that
may not be so easy for you to overcome.

I wasn't clear, sorry. It means we have to keep it. I can't see bark
chippings would be any good as it would spread from the area. But
thanks for the suggestion. Wire seems a better suggestion but I need to
know exactly what type of wire.

--
Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you,
not because they are nice but because you are. Anon
http://ariesval.wordpress.com/

Slippery floors and spa algaecide Susan Erickson Orchids 9 02-07-2006 10:26 PM
Decking RD United Kingdom 4 20-09-2003 03:32 PM
Decking and turfing - help! have they done it right? xtinexoop United Kingdom 2 08-05-2003 10:44 AM
Membrane, decking timber etc Dave United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 01:44 PM
FA: Decking A Practical Step by Step Guide ripper United Kingdom 0 28-01-2003 08:31 PM