Old 25-01-2012, 05:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

In article
,
harry wrote:
I could make prison work.

Quite amazing the confidence some have in their abilities.

No-one would want to go in my prisons.

Very few indeed *want* to go to any prison. It is only a decent deterrent
if there is the certainty of getting caught.

--
*We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old 25-01-2012, 05:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
'Mike' wrote:
AAMOI, I have been in Albany and Parkhurst Prisons and spent two years in
Camp Hill

I've been in Wandsworth, Brixton, Wormwood scrubs, Belmarsh, Oxford, and
one or two others I can't remember.

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film*

Old 25-01-2012, 05:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message

My prisons would be cheap. They would work and pay for their keep.
They would remain there working until they had paid (in cash)
full compensation for their crimes to their victims.
They would not be a nice place to be in either.

I say old chap! That sounds like a plan!

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 25-01-2012, 05:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
harry wrote:
My prisons would be cheap. They would work and pay for their keep.

Doing what, exactly? To earn their keep would mean a job worth some 50
grand a year, if I've got the figures right.

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Old 25-01-2012, 05:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Clive George wrote:
On 25/01/2012 17:19, harry wrote:

My prisons would be cheap. They would work and pay for their keep.
They would remain there working until they had paid (in cash)
full compensation for their crimes to their victims.
They would not be a nice place to be in either.

Where would you get the money from? We've already got an oversupply of
labour - how would yours be any better? Would you undercut normal
working people to get your work?

Like all his sort, he's not thought it through.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Old 25-01-2012, 06:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 5:00 pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:

For programmed shut-downs, mobile generators are usually provided . Kidney
machines are highlighted on operational control diagrams.

Bill

Why do you babble about something yo know nothing about?

I've snipped a lot of confusing unrelated stuff, and amplify the accuracy of
my above statement.

You'd better sort out who said what before you answer.

Bill

Old 25-01-2012, 06:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Again I ask. Do you have experience of behind bars and the prison regime?

"Cynic" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:22:14 +0000, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=AEi=A9ardo?=
wrote:

So would you express exactly the same attitude if the photograph
showed two incinerated children who died because they trespassed on a
railway line?

Straw man strikes again. Grow up for heaven's sake.

If you cannot see the connection, it's you who needs to grow up.

--
Cynic

Mike your halo has slipped again Please do not top post - bad nettiquet.

Bill

Old 25-01-2012, 06:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 25, 5:44*pm, Clive George wrote:
On 25/01/2012 17:19, harry wrote:

My prisons would be cheap. *They would work and pay for their keep.
They would remain there working until they had paid *(in cash)
full compensation for their crimes to their victims.
They would not be a nice place to be in either.

Where would you get the money from? We've already got an oversupply of
labour - how would yours be any better? Would you undercut normal
working people to get your work?

They would sort waste for recycling. That sort of thing.
They wouldn't get much but so long as it covered their keep who cares?
I expect there's people here could think of other similar work.
Old 25-01-2012, 06:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
Cynic :
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:04:28 +0000, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Do you feel the same way about a criminal who drives his car at 45 MPH
in a 40 MPH limit? It could result in death.

If 45 mph is too fast for the conditions, death could result. But the 40
mph speed limit is not relevant.

This thread is about whether it is a "good thing" if criminals are
killed as a result of their criminal action, therefore whether or not
the driver's act was or was not criminal is indeed relevant to this
thread - and that in turn depends on the speed limit in force.

To me the relevant criminal action here - what caused the death - is
dangerous driving. That would be the same even if the speed limit was 70
mph. Exceeding a speed limit is not in itself dangerous. Exceeding a
safe speed *is* in itself dangerous.

The problem with these 'modern' speed limits is that people think they are
the "safe speed". When I learned to drive there were only 2 speed limits:
30 mph in 'built-up areas' and 20mph in Royal Parks. The driver was
responsible for deciding on the safe speed for the conditions. "Nanny
State" has stepped in and, possibly, made the situation worse since drivers
now only look at the local limit and not at the road conditions.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Old 25-01-2012, 06:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 25, 6:00*pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Jan 24, 5:00 pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:

For programmed shut-downs, mobile generators are usually provided . Kidney
machines are highlighted on operational control diagrams.

Bill

Why do you *babble about something yo know nothing about?

I've snipped a lot of confusing unrelated stuff, and amplify the accuracy of
my above statement.

You'd better sort out who said what before you answer.

Bill

I ran these things for thirty odd years.

Old 25-01-2012, 06:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

So the answer is 'no'

OK

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"'Mike'" wrote:

"Cynic" wrote in message

Because I have a strong feeling that the sort of treatment you would
mete out to the inmates would result in making them angry, bitter,
resentful and far more anti-social than when they went in.

Your strong feeling is wrong.

Have you ever 'actually' talked to a prisoner about a 'harder and more
deterrent' sentence?
Have you 'actually been inside' a prison?

If one were to do that, what sort of response would be forthcoming,
typically, in your experience?

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed,

Old 25-01-2012, 06:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Yes

Make them a deterrent

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 25/01/2012 17:31, 'Mike' wrote:

Your strong feeling is wrong.

Have you ever 'actually' talked to a prisoner about a 'harder and more
deterrent' sentence?
Have you 'actually been inside' a prison?

Do you think your prison sentences were too easy?

What would you have changed about them to encourage you to not re-offend?

Old 25-01-2012, 06:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 25/01/2012 18:15, harry wrote:
On Jan 25, 5:44 pm, Clive wrote:
On 25/01/2012 17:19, harry wrote:

My prisons would be cheap. They would work and pay for their keep.
They would remain there working until they had paid (in cash)
full compensation for their crimes to their victims.
They would not be a nice place to be in either.

Where would you get the money from? We've already got an oversupply of
labour - how would yours be any better? Would you undercut normal
working people to get your work?

They would sort waste for recycling. That sort of thing.
They wouldn't get much but so long as it covered their keep who cares?
I expect there's people here could think of other similar work.

That's answered none of my questions.

How are you going to do this work without putting other people out of
work yet still being paid?