Old 26-02-2012, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aconite woes

I have an area with bulbs etc. in, and everything is doing adequately
or better, except the aconites. There are usually plenty of seedlings
but the number of mature (hence flowering) corms is gradually dropping.
This isn't actually under trees, but doesn't get all that much sun
until May, and they aren't mown until they die down.

What do they like that anemones, snowdrops, crocus, daffodils,
bluebells and Puschkinia don't mind not having?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-02-2012, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I have an area with bulbs etc. in, and everything is doing adequately
or better, except the aconites. There are usually plenty of seedlings
but the number of mature (hence flowering) corms is gradually dropping.
This isn't actually under trees, but doesn't get all that much sun
until May, and they aren't mown until they die down.

What do they like that anemones, snowdrops, crocus, daffodils,
bluebells and Puschkinia don't mind not having?

I don't know, but I would hazard a guess that they might prefer a damper
in summer heavier soil than you can offer them in Cambridge.
I suspect drying out in summer is what they really don't like.

That's very plausible. While they do well on the Backs, my soil
is rather sandier than it is there (as well as considerably higher
above the water table).

On the bright side, the anemones went bananas within a year or two :-)
Yes, an actual carpet of them from something like 25 corms.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-02-2012, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...

I have an area with bulbs etc. in, and everything is doing adequately
or better, except the aconites. There are usually plenty of seedlings
but the number of mature (hence flowering) corms is gradually dropping.
This isn't actually under trees, but doesn't get all that much sun
until May, and they aren't mown until they die down.

What do they like that anemones, snowdrops, crocus, daffodils,
bluebells and Puschkinia don't mind not having?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have a feeling they are very sensitive to soil PH, and I have heard tell
that something eats them in winter (I thought they were poisonous?) but
either way I have never got one to survive here

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 27-02-2012, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

I have an area with bulbs etc. in, and everything is doing adequately
or better, except the aconites. There are usually plenty of seedlings
but the number of mature (hence flowering) corms is gradually dropping.
This isn't actually under trees, but doesn't get all that much sun
until May, and they aren't mown until they die down.

What do they like that anemones, snowdrops, crocus, daffodils,
bluebells and Puschkinia don't mind not having?

I have a feeling they are very sensitive to soil PH, and I have heard tell
that something eats them in winter (I thought they were poisonous?) but
either way I have never got one to survive here

It's probably not soil pH, as mine won't differ from the Backs,
but being eaten is possible. What is poisonous to mammals is
very often not so to other animals - e.g. slugs can eat Amanita
phalloides.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-02-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/02/2012 15:44, wrote:
I have an area with bulbs etc. in, and everything is doing adequately
or better, except the aconites. There are usually plenty of seedlings
but the number of mature (hence flowering) corms is gradually dropping.
This isn't actually under trees, but doesn't get all that much sun
until May, and they aren't mown until they die down.

What do they like that anemones, snowdrops, crocus, daffodils,
bluebells and Puschkinia don't mind not having?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Winter Aconites can sometimes be mysteriously shy to 'take' in some
gardens, in the same manner as Lily of the Valley. However, the very
fact that you have grown them and have progeny from them, suggests to be
that they are happy in your soil.

A few years back, I ordered some WA from a mail order supplier. Soon
after, I had to ring them to complain about a strange densely black
fungus on them. I was told this was some sort of 'soot' mould peculiar
to WA. I was advised to water them with a mild detergent solution and
all would be well. I picked off some of the worst bits, then treated
them with Fairy Liquid (yes, this was the specific brand named). Since
then all has been well and I have both mature flowering plants and lots
of seedlings.

I am wondering, therefore, if you remember seeing anything unusual on
your plants?

One option is to water them with a solution of FL just to be on the safe
side. Another option is to give them a weak tomato feed to help them
build up to flowering size.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 27-02-2012, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

A few years back, I ordered some WA from a mail order supplier. Soon
after, I had to ring them to complain about a strange densely black
fungus on them. I was told this was some sort of 'soot' mould peculiar
to WA. I was advised to water them with a mild detergent solution and
all would be well. I picked off some of the worst bits, then treated
them with Fairy Liquid (yes, this was the specific brand named). Since
then all has been well and I have both mature flowering plants and lots
of seedlings.

I am wondering, therefore, if you remember seeing anything unusual on
your plants?

No, they are absolutely clean. Well, almost.

One option is to water them with a solution of FL just to be on the safe
side. Another option is to give them a weak tomato feed to help them
build up to flowering size.

That's an idea, but I am afraid that the drying out theory makes a
lot of sense. My soil is 60% sand, and it can get very dry in
late spring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-02-2012, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-27 22:37:50 +0000, Martin Brown
said:

On 27/02/2012 18:31, Spider wrote:

Winter Aconites can sometimes be mysteriously shy to 'take' in some
gardens, in the same manner as Lily of the Valley.

Really. I view Lily of the Valley as a borderline weed.
I do grow the variagated cultivar deliberately.

Please go and stick your head in a bucket! ;-)) I cannot grow the darned
thing wherever I've gardened and I love them!

How strange. I really didn't think they were that tricky to grow!
If they like the conditions the clumps just get bigger almost forever.
(and out compete most weeds - dandelions excepted)

I never do anything special to it. No fertiliser just pull out the odd
weed seedling from time to time and otherwise leave it undisturbed.
Maybe it thrives on neglect?

I would hazard a guess that dappled shade and permanently damp but not
wet clay soil is approximately what they want. Some get afternoon sun.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 28-02-2012, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 27/02/2012 23:37, Sacha wrote:

Winter Aconites can sometimes be mysteriously shy to 'take' in some
gardens, in the same manner as Lily of the Valley.

Really. I view Lily of the Valley as a borderline weed.
I do grow the variagated cultivar deliberately.

Please go and stick your head in a bucket! ;-)) I cannot grow the darned
thing wherever I've gardened and I love them!

How strange. I really didn't think they were that tricky to grow!
If they like the conditions the clumps just get bigger almost forever.
(and out compete most weeds - dandelions excepted)

But only IF they like the conditions! There are lots of 'easy'
plants I can't grow, because they can't take Cambridge rainfall
on a sandy soil, and others for reasons I haven't identified.

Incidentally, your Lily of the Valley evidently prefer my garden
to yours - I can't keep them from spreading even in an enclosed
bed and they can even take on a solid block of Vinca major that
eliminates namby-pamby weeds like dandelions :-)

I have got Cyclamen coum to establish a carpet, and it even
out-competes most weeds - again, the conditions are the key.
They are so extreme that few other plants can even survive :-)
Lily of the Valley doesn't need extreme conditions, but it seems
to dislike some conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 28-02-2012, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-02-28 09:58:20 +0000, Martin Brown

On 2012-02-27 22:37:50 +0000, Martin Brown
said:

[...]

I've tried them in four different gardens with no success. I've actually
got to the point of wondering if there's something in my skin that acts as
a lotv killer!!
--
Sacha

Lilly of the Valley? A weed to anybody else?

Kindest possible regards

Mike