Old 28-04-2012, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Drought

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 00:45:05 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"tony" wrote in message
This must be the wettest drought since records began. I blame global
warming.
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarrfountain.co.uk

I do so wish that people would not panic about drought. We have a
maritime
climate in the UK and it will sort itself.
We won't ever have too much sun or too much rain (but it will not come
exactly as we want it)
After a supposed drought, it's been throwing it down here most days for
three weeks, sometime for 36 hours and we have had floods.
It will work itself out. It always does.

but perhaps not this year.
--

Martin

Yes, it will. It always does.

Old 28-04-2012, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

wrote:

"tony" wrote in message
This must be the wettest drought since records began. I blame global
warming.
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarrfountain.co.uk

I do so wish that people would not panic about drought. We have a
maritime
climate in the UK and it will sort itself.
We won't ever have too much sun or too much rain (but it will not come
exactly as we want it)
After a supposed drought, it's been throwing it down here most days for
three weeks, sometime for 36 hours and we have had floods.
It will work itself out. It always does.

but perhaps not this year.
--

Martin

Yes, it will. It always does.

Though possibly not at an appropriate time to save weather-dependent
businesses like agriculture, from failed crops, lost incomes and jobs.

Janet.

Old 28-04-2012, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2012-04-27 18:24:30 +0100, hugh ] said:
snip
I do wish people would understand the definition of a draught before
going on about it.

Oh dear, Hugh. Foot. Shot. Own!! But very funny for all of us, given
the circumstances! ;-))

Doesn't alter the fact that you are talking a load of ********.
--
hugh
Old 29-04-2012, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 28, 7:03*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
I agree it will work itself out though and come down to averages in
the long-term but often the weather is damned inconvenient to say the
least and goes on for far too long.

But where would we be without weather?

Not much to talk about?

What I cannot understand though is why the floods we are having are
not being used to fill up reservoirs and so eliminate the hosepipe ban
when we get the next lengthy dry spell, which will leave our gardens
parched of essential moisture. Why is the floodwater just being left
to go into the sea instead of being diverted into reservoirs? Aren't
reservoirs served by rivers anyway? It would,probably take only a
small fraction of the floodwater to fill up our reservoirs.

Doug.
Old 29-04-2012, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 29, 9:01*am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 00:36:02 -0700 (PDT), Doug
wrote:

On Apr 28, 7:03*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
I agree it will work itself out though and come down to averages in
the long-term but often the weather is damned inconvenient to say the
least and goes on for far too long.

But where would we be without weather?

Not much to talk about?

What I cannot understand though is why the floods we are having are
not being used to fill up reservoirs and so eliminate the hosepipe ban
when we get the next lengthy dry spell, which will leave our gardens
parched of essential moisture. Why is the floodwater just being left
to go into the sea instead of being diverted into reservoirs? Aren't
reservoirs served by rivers anyway? It would,probably take only a
small fraction of the floodwater to fill up our reservoirs.

because rain water is mixed with sewage.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

That's a bit of a generalisation,
Most rivers feeding reservoirs are above the main centers of
population so little chance of that form of polution, and here in
Wales even camping is prohibited in the catchment areas.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 20:40:52 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"tony" wrote in message
This must be the wettest drought since records began. I blame global
warming.
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarrfountain.co.uk

I do so wish that people would not panic about drought. We have a
maritime
climate in the UK and it will sort itself.
We won't ever have too much sun or too much rain (but it will not come
exactly as we want it)
After a supposed drought, it's been throwing it down here most days for
three weeks, sometime for 36 hours and we have had floods.
It will work itself out. It always does.

but perhaps not this year.

Yes, it will. It always does.

It didn't last year. That's the reason the water levels in reservoirs
are so low.
--

It will sort itself out, we now have more rain than we need. Stop panicking
about the Uk climate.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
"Martin" lid wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 20:40:52 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin"
lid wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 00:45:05 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"tony"
wrote in message
[...]

This was the Met office forecast for April/Mat/june, as produced by models on their newish super computer that takes around 1.2 megawatts of energy to run:

"Met Office 3-month Outlook
Period: April – June 2012 Issue date: 23.03.12

SUMMARY – PRECIPITATION:
The forecast for average UK rainfall slightly favours drier than average conditions for April-May-June as a whole, and also slightly favours April being the driest of the 3 months. With this forecast, the water resources situation in southern, eastern and central England is likely to deteriorate further during the April-May-June period. The probability that UK precipitation for April-May-June will fall into the driest of our five categories is 20-25% whilst the probability that it will fall into the wettest of our five categories is 10-15% (the 197-2000 climatological probability for each of these categories is 20%)."

Garbage in garbage out
Old 01-05-2012, 09:16 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
The probability that UK precipitation for April-May-June will fall into the driest of our five categories is 20-25% whilst the probability that it will fall into the wettest of our five categories is 10-15% (the 197-2000 climatological probability for each of these categories is 20%)."
In other words, the probability of April-May-June falling into the wettest of their 5 categories is approximately the same as throwing a die and getting a one.

The problem of the Met Office is that they are expected to produce a forecast even when the conclusion is "we can't tell at the moment what will happen as the weather is in a state of flux and could go any way".
__________________
Old 01-05-2012, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 8:36:02 AM UTC+1, Doug wrote:

What I cannot understand though is why the floods we are having are
not being used to fill up reservoirs and so eliminate the hosepipe ban
when we get the next lengthy dry spell, which will leave our gardens
parched of essential moisture. Why is the floodwater just being left
to go into the sea instead of being diverted into reservoirs? Aren't
reservoirs served by rivers anyway? It would,probably take only a
small fraction of the floodwater to fill up our reservoirs.

I suspect that most flooding is below the reservoirs. I also expect that
the volume of floodwater is small compared to the volume required to fully
replenish them.

--
Andy McC

Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 1 May 2012 06:14:40 -0700 (PDT), Andy McC
wrote:

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 8:36:02 AM UTC+1, Doug wrote:

What I cannot understand though is why the floods we are having are
not being used to fill up reservoirs and so eliminate the hosepipe ban
when we get the next lengthy dry spell, which will leave our gardens
parched of essential moisture. Why is the floodwater just being left
to go into the sea instead of being diverted into reservoirs? Aren't
reservoirs served by rivers anyway? It would,probably take only a
small fraction of the floodwater to fill up our reservoirs.

I suspect that most flooding is below the reservoirs. I also expect that
the volume of floodwater is small compared to the volume required to fully
replenish them.

When it's not Winter most rainwater that falls evaporates before it
gets into reservoirs even when there isn't much Sun.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 01-05-2012, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

When it's not Winter most rainwater that falls evaporates before it
gets into reservoirs even when there isn't much Sun.

That is an oversimplification, bordering on a falsehood. It is
true for the driest parts of the country, but assuredly not for
the country as a whole. In the wetter parts, evaporation never
exceeds precipitation, on average.

The average evaporation in the UK is about 11", almost all in
summer, and the average rainfall varies from 19" to 40+" in the
populated areas (and a LOT more in a few places).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
It will sort itself out, we now have more rain than we need. Stop
panicking
about the Uk climate.
It might not do what you want, exactly as you want it, or when you want
it
but we will be fine in the end.

Hardly, given that the survival of our farming industry is heavily
dependent on short-term climate. How many failed crops can an arable
farmer can survive? If his feedcrops failed, what does he feed his
livestock with next winter?

It would not be fine, if this small crowded island population had to
depend entirely upon imported food.... for people or meat livestock.

Janet

Interesting subject imports of foodstuffs. I do an illustrated talk to WI's
on "Food Rationing during WWII" I provide recipes of the time and invite the
members to 'make something' for the Evening. (Any iow urgler who wants a
speaker, let me know, but book me well in advance)

I wonder just how many readers are aware of just how much food stuff we
imported before the war and what put a stop to those imports? We didn't only
import for human consumption, but animal fodder as well.

I was about during WWII and can remember the rationing. Some of you haven't
a clue and live in cuckoo land and don't appreciate just what was done for
the benefit of you all to be able to have 'Free Speech'.

Mike

Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-05-01 03:58:41 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:
www.caterpillarrfountain.co.uk
Yes, it will. It always does.

It didn't last year. That's the reason the water levels in reservoirs
are so low.
--

It will sort itself out, we now have more rain than we need. Stop
panicking
about the Uk climate.
It might not do what you want, exactly as you want it, or when you want
it
but we will be fine in the end.

Not quite Christina. We don't have more rain than we need because
groundwater levels are still so low. It sounds absurd when I think of the
lakes I saw stretching for miles yesterday and the streams we saw
overflowing their banks this morning. I can only assume that the ground
is dried out to such a depth that the water is running off it rather than
penetrating it OR it's lying on top of it, unabsorbed, so far.
Officially, we're still in drought.
--

It will turn out OK. Really, it will.
Tina

dog-gone another drought, only this is a Spring time drought [email protected] Plant Science 5 06-06-2006 06:27 PM
(LONG) Drought likely for 3rd year in Klamath Basin Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 23-02-2003 12:54 AM
Drought and Roses B. Midler Roses 11 15-02-2003 08:15 AM
Drought & more len brauer Permaculture 7 28-01-2003 04:26 PM
Drought Fran Higham Permaculture 2 16-01-2003 11:20 PM