Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Drought

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

When it's not Winter most rainwater that falls evaporates before it
gets into reservoirs even when there isn't much Sun.

That is an oversimplification, bordering on a falsehood. It is
true for the driest parts of the country, but assuredly not for
the country as a whole. In the wetter parts, evaporation never
exceeds precipitation, on average.

The average evaporation in the UK is about 11", almost all in
summer, and the average rainfall varies from 19" to 40+" in the
populated areas (and a LOT more in a few places).

Most of the rainfall finishes up in the sea rather than reservoirs.

Fine. That is an entirely separate point and, if it were not,
would contradict what you said at first.

If you are comparing the water that reaches reservoirs (necessarily
only from their catchment area) with the evaporation over the whole
country, your statement is close to trolling. In the catchment area
of reservoirs, very little rainfall reaches the sea before it is
used in some way.

If you had said groundwater rather than reservoirs, it would have
been closer to the truth but, even there, I believe that claim is
more polemic than fact except in the drier parts of the country.
If you can provide actual figures, I should be interested - I did
not find any when I looked.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 3 May 2012 11:52:12 +0100 (BST), wrote:

If you can provide actual figures, I should be interested - I did
not find any when I looked.

I can't provide figures. I'm just quoting some drought expert I saw on
the TV. He was talking about reservoir catchments and I assume
evaporation over the same area.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software.
http://www.npsl1.com

Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-05-02 23:15:16 +0100, "Christina Websell"

On 2012-05-01 03:58:41 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:
www.caterpillarrfountain.co.uk
Yes, it will. It always does.

It didn't last year. That's the reason the water levels in reservoirs
are so low.
--

It will sort itself out, we now have more rain than we need. Stop
panicking

Not quite Christina. We don't have more rain than we need because
groundwater levels are still so low. It sounds absurd when I think of
the
lakes I saw stretching for miles yesterday and the streams we saw
overflowing their banks this morning. I can only assume that the ground
is dried out to such a depth that the water is running off it rather
than
penetrating it OR it's lying on top of it, unabsorbed, so far.
Officially, we're still in drought.
--

It will turn out OK. Really, it will.
Tina

It might or it might not. Resources are not being 'harvested', many
reservoirs (smaller ones) have been sold off and water companies are not
repairing leaks as they should. But right at this moment people are
worried and understandably so. While you or I or Joe Bloggs may be
concerned for one or two rows of beans and some sprouts, we learned
yesterday of one national garden centre chain which has cancelled their
order for 20 artic lorry loads of compost. Imagine how many tons that
runs into and the financial loss it implies. That is a huge knock on
effect on the suppliers and the hauliers and reflects the current state of
things. In trade publications it has been written that takings for some
places are way down over the last couple of week ends. All these things
are peoples' jobs, not their hobbies. So concern about water levels is a
real worry, not just a few people who can't water their veg plot. One
water company director was quoted as saying that to get water levels back
to normal in his area, it needs to rain every day from now until November.
I'm sure others will have much more scientific reasoning than I but it
does make me wonder why we're not at least talking seriously about a
national water grid.
--

One water director was quoted as saying! Could it be because the water
companies are now privatised?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 May 2012 00:14:18 +0100, "Christina Websell"

On 2012-05-02 23:15:16 +0100, "Christina Websell"

On 2012-05-01 03:58:41 +0100, "Christina Websell"

Britain has a changing climate.
--

Martin

Not changed much over the last 70 years as far as I am concerned. I can
remember good and bad right the way through.

Mike

Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

It will all come right in the end.

Like it did in the ice age?

Janet.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

It will all come right in the end.

Like it did in the ice age?

Or after the K-T event?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 3 May 2012 17:12:42 +0100, "Pete"
wrote:

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
. ..

On Thu, 3 May 2012 11:52:12 +0100 (BST), wrote:

I can't provide figures. I'm just quoting some drought expert I saw on
the TV. He was talking about reservoir catchments and I assume
evaporation over the same area.

Steve

Nick is correct in questioning your initial post and the evaporation
statement therein.
Rainfall loss due to evaporation is just small fraction as compared with
the amount lost
by outfall to the sea.

I was comparing the figures for reservoirs not the sea. Evaporation
over reservoir catchments areas is a significant loss.

Read this for details:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drought...United_Kingdom

One line from the above:-
"UK droughts have similar consequences to other droughts elsewhere in
the world. The first of these is river and reservoir levels begin to
drop as rainfall fails to counteract evaporation."

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 04-05-2012, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I can't provide figures. I'm just quoting some drought expert I saw on
the TV. He was talking about reservoir catchments and I assume
evaporation over the same area.

Nick is correct in questioning your initial post and the evaporation
statement therein.
Rainfall loss due to evaporation is just small fraction as compared with
the amount lost
by outfall to the sea.

I was comparing the figures for reservoirs not the sea. Evaporation
over reservoir catchments areas is a significant loss.

Your original statement, which is the one I contradicted, was:

When it's not Winter most rainwater that falls evaporates before it
gets into reservoirs even when there isn't much Sun.

I should be fascinated to know how rainwater can evaporate from
reservoirs before it gets into them.

And, for the record, my figures came from a paper in a referreed
journal, either by the Meterological Office or using data provided
by them. When I wrote the Climate FAQ, every authoritative claim
was backed up by such research.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I can't provide figures. I'm just quoting some drought expert I saw on
the TV. He was talking about reservoir catchments and I assume
evaporation over the same area.

Nick is correct in questioning your initial post and the evaporation
statement therein.
Rainfall loss due to evaporation is just small fraction as compared with
the amount lost
by outfall to the sea.

I was comparing the figures for reservoirs not the sea. Evaporation
over reservoir catchments areas is a significant loss.

Your original statement, which is the one I contradicted, was:

When it's not Winter most rainwater that falls evaporates before it
gets into reservoirs even when there isn't much Sun.

I should be fascinated to know how rainwater can evaporate from
reservoirs before it gets into them.

OK. Perhaps we differ in grammatical interpretation but I did say
"before it gets into reservoirs". I never said "from reservoirs".

Steve

--
Neural Network Software.
http://www.npsl1.com

Old 04-05-2012, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

OK. Perhaps we differ in grammatical interpretation but I did say
"before it gets into reservoirs". I never said "from reservoirs".

My mistake. Sorry. Anyway, what I said is true - only in the driest
parts does evaporation exceed precipitation in spring and autumn,
and it never exceeds precipitation in the wettest parts.

The television reflects the government of this country - by London,
from London and for London - and they still believe that anyone
outside the commuter belt goes around in shapeless trousers and
cloth caps, saying Ee, bah gom or similar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:57 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post

After the recent rain Yorkshire reservoirs are between 95% full and
overflowing.
Drove past Chelker this afternoon and noticed half-submerged trees along the edge.

Though the R Aire is still low at Gargrave

dog-gone another drought, only this is a Spring time drought [email protected] Plant Science 5 06-06-2006 06:27 PM
(LONG) Drought likely for 3rd year in Klamath Basin Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 23-02-2003 12:54 AM
Drought and Roses B. Midler Roses 11 15-02-2003 08:15 AM
Drought & more len brauer Permaculture 7 28-01-2003 04:26 PM
Drought Fran Higham Permaculture 2 16-01-2003 11:20 PM