Old 24-04-2012, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting garlic now?

Is it worth it? Will they grow and clove up?
My aunt has an Indian gardener and he prefers to plant hers in November. My
local Indian shopkeeper says the same, that garlic does not like hot
weather.
The packet of three I just got said "can be planted in autumn or spring"
I did plant some once in my garden, in spring. They did grow but only into
bulbs, like a large spring onion and didn't split into cloves.

Tina

Old 24-04-2012, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote:

The packet of three I just got said "can be planted in autumn or spring"
I did plant some once in my garden, in spring. They did grow but only into
bulbs, like a large spring onion and didn't split into cloves.

It depends on the variety; softneck types are indeed planted in the spring
in California. I'm guessing most folks here have no closer to a California
climate than I do; all my garlic is fall planted. Mostly hardneck, but a
few softneck types for variety.

Old 24-04-2012, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:44:25 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Is it worth it? Will they grow and clove up?
My aunt has an Indian gardener and he prefers to plant hers in November. My
local Indian shopkeeper says the same, that garlic does not like hot
weather.
The packet of three I just got said "can be planted in autumn or spring"
I did plant some once in my garden, in spring. They did grow but only into
bulbs, like a large spring onion and didn't split into cloves.

Tina

In my (limited) experience, it's a bit late. My autumn planted stock
is now starting to romp away after the recent rain. I put in some
Marco just before Easter. The stufff in planter troughs looks OK but
the stuff direct into the soil looks distinctly weak. Probably
because I haven't had the opportunity to do the 'power weeding' in the
patch and the garlic is being crowded out. Even so, I expect to have
more than I can sociably consume.

Regards
JonH
Old 24-04-2012, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote
Is it worth it? Will they grow and clove up?
My aunt has an Indian gardener and he prefers to plant hers in November.
My local Indian shopkeeper says the same, that garlic does not like hot
weather.
The packet of three I just got said "can be planted in autumn or spring"
I did plant some once in my garden, in spring. They did grow but only into
bulbs, like a large spring onion and didn't split into cloves.

Seeing as you have bought some why not plant it and see, you will get
something.
Personally I plant in late September or October so that by now they have
good thick stems and at any sign of sun and warmth will romp away, when I
have planted in spring the results have been poor with small cloves on small
heads but I've never got just one large clove.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 25-04-2012, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:15:14 PM UTC+1, Gary Woods wrote:

Hello Gary,

I spent 3-1/2 years in the Capital region of NYS, and was impressed with the quality, quantity and variety of garlic grown around there. I particularly enjoyed this event...
http://mvgarlicfest.com/
I even bought the T-shirt!

Apologies to UK.rec.gardening for the geographical off-topicness.

--
Andy McC

Old 25-04-2012, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Is it worth it? Will they grow and clove up?
My aunt has an Indian gardener and he prefers to plant hers in
November. My local Indian shopkeeper says the same, that garlic does
not like hot weather.
The packet of three I just got said "can be planted in autumn or
spring" I did plant some once in my garden, in spring. They did grow
but only into bulbs, like a large spring onion and didn't split into
cloves.

Tina

My OH/partner/enemys family are not native UK. They use garlic every day
and that suits me fine.
She always plants a 3m row, 3" apart(forgive the metric &imperial) in
autumn with lots of compost and growmore from shop bought garlic bulbs if
she has none of her own.

In spring she finds space in the garden and plants them where she can.
After the early broad beans have been harvested she will plant there too,
end of June usually.

Obviously this is a lot of garlic and because they are grown from shop
bought I always get rid of a row here and there if they in my way.

What I am skirting around is that any time is ok. The only one time when
the garlic was just like an onion was 2 years ago when I tried them from
seed, and they just went to seed in the end. Still used them.

My advice would be to rake in a good lot of blood fish and bone, firm up
the soil by walking on it, water the site and next day dib(yes dib) them
in.

Then wait until the foliage has died away, probably March 2013 now. I don't
know.

Baz

Old 25-04-2012, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

I'm going to give it a go.
Was hoping to get it in today, but too much rain. Couldn't even get down to
the village anyway, the road under the bridge was flooded and impassable
without a Land Rover or equally high vehicle. My little Citroen said no.

Old 28-04-2012, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Is it worth it? Will they grow and clove up?
My aunt has an Indian gardener and he prefers to plant hers in November.
My
local Indian shopkeeper says the same, that garlic does not like hot
weather.
The packet of three I just got said "can be planted in autumn or spring"
I did plant some once in my garden, in spring. They did grow but only
into
bulbs, like a large spring onion and didn't split into cloves.

Tina

SWMBO sent me out to the garage a couple of weeks ago for some garlic,
stored from last year. One bublb was fine, in another all the cloves had
sprouted about 2 inches of green shoot. I took these and just planted
them next to the October/November planting and they seem to be groeing
on fine, despite the cold wet weather.

I've read several article that state you should not plant shop (as in
Supermarket/Greengrocer) bought garlic, as there is no guarantee where
it comes from and whether it will survive, so I was intrigued by Baz's
post!

the garlic I bought was good to go, not from supermarket. But is horribly
rainy here and I'm going to wait to plant it.
It's impossible atm. So much rain, there are floods. I can't get down to
my allotment.
It will not flood down there, it's just how to get there.
Tina

Old 28-04-2012, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

SWMBO sent me out to the garage a couple of weeks ago for some garlic,
stored from last year. One bublb was fine, in another all the cloves
had sprouted about 2 inches of green shoot. I took these and just
planted them next to the October/November planting and they seem to be
groeing on fine, despite the cold wet weather.

I've read several article that state you should not plant shop (as in
Supermarket/Greengrocer) bought garlic, as there is no guarantee where
it comes from and whether it will survive, so I was intrigued by Baz's
post!

Yes I have read the same, perhaps we have been lucky. They always do well
no matter where they come from. Now I have said that I bet this years are
going to be a failure!
T&M, Marshalls, Suttons etc. are far away too expensive for us.

Good luck with the sprouted ones you planted, they should be fine.
Baz

Old 29-04-2012, 01:26 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Tonkin[_2_] View Post
I've read several article that state you should not plant shop (as in
Supermarket/Greengrocer) bought garlic, as there is no guarantee where
it comes from and whether it will survive, so I was intrigued by Baz's
post!
If you want guaranteed results, go for a named variety bred for our conditions. Shop bought anything is pot luck, but that doesn't mean to say you shouldn't, provided you're happy to accept the occasional disappointment.

A lot of the accumulated wisdom in gardening has come from people growing to maximise yield. If your aim is to grow "some" or "enough" rather than "as much as is possible" you can push the boundaries quite a bit.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Planting garlic with roses cross United Kingdom 2 09-05-2004 12:09 PM
Spring Planting Garlic Tweed United Kingdom 10 02-03-2004 11:44 PM
garlic planting tom hooper Edible Gardening 3 23-10-2003 11:22 PM
Garlic planting Judy Rigby United Kingdom 8 31-03-2003 11:44 PM