Old 20-05-2012, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Mushroom identity

Not a great picture (Nick's camera-phone), but any chance anyone can guess the
mushroom identity?
http://comps.org/vicky/mushroom.jpg

It was growing in a tray of flower-seedlings, where I had shoved the packet in
the edge of the soil and it had got damp.

(It's about 1/5" tall, with a slightly shaggy top, nothing of note under the
soil - that's the soil it came from on top of the packet)
Old 20-05-2012, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message

Not a great picture (Nick's camera-phone), but any chance anyone can guess
the
mushroom identity?
http://comps.org/vicky/mushroom.jpg

It was growing in a tray of flower-seedlings, where I had shoved the
packet in
the edge of the soil and it had got damp.

(It's about 1/5" tall, with a slightly shaggy top, nothing of note under
the
soil - that's the soil it came from on top of the packet)

I only see someone holding a plastic bag. I'm not a mushroom expert but I
think we need more than this to identify it for you.
Tina

Old 20-05-2012, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

wrote in message

Not a great picture (Nick's camera-phone), but any chance anyone can guess
the
mushroom identity?
http://comps.org/vicky/mushroom.jpg

It was growing in a tray of flower-seedlings, where I had shoved the
packet in
the edge of the soil and it had got damp.

(It's about 1/5" tall, with a slightly shaggy top, nothing of note under
the
soil - that's the soil it came from on top of the packet)

I only see someone holding a plastic bag. I'm not a mushroom expert but I
think we need more than this to identify it for you.

? There are two mushrooms in the pic showing shape and colour and the
hand gives the scale.

Janet

Old 21-05-2012, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message

Not a great picture (Nick's camera-phone), but any chance anyone can guess
the
mushroom identity?
http://comps.org/vicky/mushroom.jpg

It was growing in a tray of flower-seedlings, where I had shoved the
packet in
the edge of the soil and it had got damp.

(It's about 1/5" tall, with a slightly shaggy top, nothing of note under
the
soil - that's the soil it came from on top of the packet)

Maybe this one?
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/galle...erresult. asp

KeithC

Old 21-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Cunningham[_3_] View Post

Not a great picture (Nick's camera-phone), but any chance anyone can guess
the
mushroom identity?
http://comps.org/vicky/mushroom.jpg

It was growing in a tray of flower-seedlings, where I had shoved the
packet in
the edge of the soil and it had got damp.

(It's about 1/5" tall, with a slightly shaggy top, nothing of note under
the
soil - that's the soil it came from on top of the packet)

Maybe this one?
Rogers Mushrooms - Marasmius undatus Mushroom

KeithC

Looks more like a 'Shaggy Inkcap' to me.

Rogers Mushrooms - Coprinus comatus Mushroom

Old 21-05-2012, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Keith Cunningham wrote:
http://comps.org/vicky/mushroom.jpg

It was growing in a tray of flower-seedlings, where I had shoved the
packet in
the edge of the soil and it had got damp.

(It's about 1/5" tall, with a slightly shaggy top, nothing of note under
the
soil - that's the soil it came from on top of the packet)

Maybe this one?
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/galle...erresult. asp

First thought was yes - the third of the photos on that page looks just
like it. But I think the gills are darker in mine than that one.

But thank you. I'm only looking for curiosity sake, so if I don't get
an exact match it's not a problem.

Old 21-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
Looks more like a 'Shaggy Inkcap' to me.

Rogers Mushrooms - Coprinus comatus Mushroom
If you'd seen one in the wild, you'd know it looks nothing like that, nor marasmiums either.

It's a not a photo I could possibly identify a fungus from, but I think Leucocoprinus birnbaumii is the most likely.

There are one or two species particularly noted for growing in plant pots etc. Leucocoprinus birnbaumii Plants & Fungi: Leucocoprinus birnbaumii (plantpot dapperling) - Species profile from Kew is the best known. They aren't always so obviously yellow as that one, eg Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, aka Lepiota lutea, the yellow houseplant or house plant soil mushroom, Tom Volk's Fungus of the Month for February 2002,
Old 21-05-2012, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith Cunningham" wrote in message
o.uk...

wrote in message

Not a great picture (Nick's camera-phone), but any chance anyone can
guess the
mushroom identity?
http://comps.org/vicky/mushroom.jpg

It was growing in a tray of flower-seedlings, where I had shoved the
packet in
the edge of the soil and it had got damp.

(It's about 1/5" tall, with a slightly shaggy top, nothing of note under
the
soil - that's the soil it came from on top of the packet)

Maybe this one?
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/galle...erresult. asp

KeithC

His book is a revelation. I don't think I had appreciated how many forms
of mushroom/fungi there were. The photography is wonderful. Even with
the book in my hand I wouldn't dare to positively identify something in the
wild. Even so, the book is well worth having.

Old 21-05-2012, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message

Not a great picture (Nick's camera-phone), but any chance anyone can guess
the
mushroom identity?
http://comps.org/vicky/mushroom.jpg

It was growing in a tray of flower-seedlings, where I had shoved the
packet in
the edge of the soil and it had got damp.

(It's about 1/5" tall, with a slightly shaggy top, nothing of note under
the
soil - that's the soil it came from on top of the packet)

The sample is rather small but it looks to me like Coprinus comatus (Shaggy
Ink Cap) not fully grown.
Very tasty fried in a little butter.
R.

Old 21-05-2012, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ragnar" wrote in message

The sample is rather small but it looks to me like Coprinus comatus
(Shaggy Ink Cap) not fully grown.
Very tasty fried in a little butter.
R.

I just realised what I said - of course do not eat it until you have
definitely confirmed the ID.
:-(
R.

Old 21-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

I see that there is a C comatus shown growing in a plant pot on the R Phillips page, so perhaps this is where the idea this might be C Comatus is coming from, but it really doesn't look like it to me.

But before advising people to eat C comatus, you need to say a bit more. Because of chemical changes occuring after it is picked, you have to cook it within 4 hours of picking. Also must not be eaten after gills hvae started to blacken. Also it contains chemicals that react with alcohol, so you mustn't drink alcohol within a period of eating it, though some people get away with it.
Old 21-05-2012, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

echinosum wrote:
Looks more like a 'Shaggy Inkcap' to me.

'Rogers Mushrooms - Coprinus comatus Mushroom'
(http://tinyurl.com/7pqetxh)

Some of those photos look similar, with the more open parasol shape top,
but I don't think it is. No veil on the stem, and the not so open photos
just didn't look right.

It's a not a photo I could possibly identify a fungus from, but I think
Leucocoprinus birnbaumii is the most likely.

Not from the photos he
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/galle...erresult. asp
Definitely white-to-brown, not yellow.

(http://tinyurl.com/6v4wx58) is the best known. They aren't always so
obviously yellow as that one, eg 'Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, aka Lepiota
lutea, the yellow houseplant or house plant soil mushroom, Tom Volk's
Fungus of the Month for February 2002,' (http://tinyurl.com/7vs8a)

None of those photos looks the right colour or shape.
Old 21-05-2012, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ragnar wrote:
The sample is rather small but it looks to me like Coprinus comatus (Shaggy
Ink Cap) not fully grown.
Very tasty fried in a little butter.

Absolutely definitely not going to be giving it a try. :-P
We have edible mushrooms growing outside hte house - one of my neighbours
has eaten them and says they're nice, and she's not died, but I'm still
really quite paranoid about them. (They're big field mushrooms, I think,
with big white tops and pink gills)

Mushroom mushroom... Tim Watts[_3_] United Kingdom 19 09-11-2014 10:02 PM
plant identity redstar United Kingdom 8 09-07-2003 04:28 PM
Wildflower identity Scott Ranger Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:27 PM
pear identity crisis Liz & Andy United Kingdom 1 15-04-2003 04:33 PM
identity required - is it a weed.... Pam Moore United Kingdom 3 29-10-2002 08:02 AM