Old 19-06-2012, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My poisonous mushroom

Just picked it. The cap is flat 4.25 inches across, was white now going
brown. The gills are brown and the stem has a frill near the cap (although
unfortunately I broke the stem when I picked it. It was an inch and 3/4 high
stem)
I can peel the cap.

Open to your ideas. I only get one of these every year. I ate one because
it looked like a good 'un.
I sure wished I hadn't.

Tina

Old 19-06-2012, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

Just picked it. The cap is flat 4.25 inches across, was white now going
brown. The gills are brown and the stem has a frill near the cap (although
unfortunately I broke the stem when I picked it. It was an inch and 3/4 high
stem)
I can peel the cap.

Open to your ideas. I only get one of these every year. I ate one because
it looked like a good 'un.
I sure wished I hadn't.

Photographs would help a lot, to identify whether the frill is
really a ring, but the thing that would help most of all is to
know the spore colour. Also, what SORT of brown, and how dark?
It makes a difference whether teddy bear, russet, traditional
shoe brown, chocolate or purplish - that's the gills. Also,
some indication of the cap and stem colour and texture would help.

I may be able to guess, but the ones I am thinking of are not
all that common (I have never seen them), and would rather not
jump in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-06-2012, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

Just picked it. The cap is flat 4.25 inches across, was white now going
brown. The gills are brown and the stem has a frill near the cap
(although
unfortunately I broke the stem when I picked it. It was an inch and 3/4
high
stem)
I can peel the cap.

Open to your ideas. I only get one of these every year. I ate one
because
it looked like a good 'un.
I sure wished I hadn't.

Photographs would help a lot, to identify whether the frill is
really a ring, but the thing that would help most of all is to
know the spore colour. Also, what SORT of brown, and how dark?
It makes a difference whether teddy bear, russet, traditional
shoe brown, chocolate or purplish - that's the gills.

Chocolate.

Also,
some indication of the cap and stem colour and texture would help.

Cap was white, now going brownish, stem is white. Texture is what you would
expect from a mushroom you can eat.
No spores evident. It has a frill or ring on the stem near the cap. My
camera is out of order atm.
I only get the one, never more.

I may be able to guess, but the ones I am thinking of are not
all that common (I have never seen them), and would rather not
jump in.

Guess away. It made me ill, and sometimes we get uncommon things.

Old 19-06-2012, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

It makes a difference whether teddy bear, russet, traditional
shoe brown, chocolate or purplish - that's the gills.

Chocolate.

Also,
some indication of the cap and stem colour and texture would help.

Cap was white, now going brownish, stem is white. Texture is what you would
expect from a mushroom you can eat.
No spores evident. It has a frill or ring on the stem near the cap. My
camera is out of order atm.
I only get the one, never more.

I may be able to guess, but the ones I am thinking of are not
all that common (I have never seen them), and would rather not
jump in.

Guess away. It made me ill, and sometimes we get uncommon things.

Before I do, please do that spore colour test! All you need to
do is to leave parts of the cap, gill side down, on blackish and
white papers overnight. Spore colour is one of THE critical
diagnostic features!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-06-2012, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Done. Have put the cap gill side down on some white paper now. Have no
blackish paper ;-)
Tina

Old 20-06-2012, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:09:02 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:42:39 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Even ordinary mushrooms make me ill. When I was a breast-feeding baby,
I was even ill after my mother had eaten some.

I always thought Chris Hogg was male but today's post proves me wrong!
LOL

Pam in Bristol
Old 20-06-2012, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/06/2012 21:42, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message ...
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

But did you have a glass of wine or some other alcohol at the same time?
A few fungi have Antabuse-like effects, as they interfere with the
metabolism of alcohol. By themselves they are fine, but combination with
alcohol will make you feel very ill.

--

Jeff

Old 20-06-2012, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:15:57 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

Even ordinary mushrooms make me ill. When I was a breast-feeding baby,
I was even ill after my mother had eaten some.

I always thought Chris Hogg was male but today's post proves me wrong!
LOL

Quote "was a breast-feeding baby" not "was breast feeding a baby"!
Any baby that sucked on my dugs would have got very hungry!

As they would from any breast-feeding baby :-)

[ I think that you meant "breast-fed baby" ]

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-06-2012, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Even ordinary mushrooms make me ill. When I was a breast-feeding baby,
I was even ill after my mother had eaten some.

I always thought Chris Hogg was male but today's post proves me wrong!
LOL

Pam in Bristol

Quote "was a breast-feeding baby" not "was breast feeding a baby"!
Any baby that sucked on my dugs would have got very hungry!

ROTFL !

Pam in Bristol
Old 20-06-2012, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

No, I meant breast-feeding, although breast-fed would also be
acceptable. 'Feeding' can mean either consuming food or giving food.
'When I was a baby feeding from the breast' quite acceptably can be
shortened to 'when I was a breast-feeding baby' just as 'when I was a
baby eating rusks' can become 'when I was a rusk-eating baby'.

That is true, but 'breast-feeding' is never used in that way.
English is not a regular language :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 20-06-2012, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:09:02 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:42:39 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

wrote in message
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Well it was what I read originally, but then I read it again ...

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 20-06-2012, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote in message
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

No spores were shed on to my white paper overnight. I expected the spores
to look like dust - is that correct? If so, zilch. It did make the paper
wet by my putting it gills down so the paper was stained brown. Maybe it
had shed all the spores before I picked it, it was certainly getting elderly
before I noticed it and had been chomped a bit by slugs who must be immune.
Maybe I will never know what it is, I only get one a year and it really,
absolutely, looks safe.
If I need a microscope to find the spores of this beastie, well, I don't
have one ;-)
I would love to know what Nick thinks it might be.
It cannot be a Heleboma as they only appear in September plus.

Old 20-06-2012, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 19/06/2012 21:42, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

No, I hadn't had any alcohol when I ate it - although I might as well have
done as my judgement was obviously impaired!

Old 20-06-2012, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

No spores were shed on to my white paper overnight. I expected the spores
to look like dust - is that correct? If so, zilch. It did make the paper
wet by my putting it gills down so the paper was stained brown. Maybe it
had shed all the spores before I picked it, it was certainly getting elderly
before I noticed it and had been chomped a bit by slugs who must be immune.
Maybe I will never know what it is, I only get one a year and it really,
absolutely, looks safe.
If I need a microscope to find the spores of this beastie, well, I don't
have one ;-)
I would love to know what Nick thinks it might be.
It cannot be a Heleboma as they only appear in September plus.

Spores are often not visible as such, but only as a stain, but
that all sounds very bizarre. I was thinking of Stropharia,
but it doesn't sound quite right.

The reason that those of us who know something about edible
fungi have been saying DO eat the edible ones that don't look
like supermarket mushrooms, and DON'T eat the ones that do, is
precisely because of the number of nasties that look like
field mushrooms but aren't.

There are simple rules to avoid the really lethal ones, but no
simple rules to be quite certain of avoiding a few that might
give you a bit of gut-rot. As you discovered.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.