Old 06-08-2012, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant-world-seeds ?

After having no success with this question in the corresponding German
newsgroup I'd rather ask here for information. Does anyone have
experience with the seed store http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/ ? In
particular I would like to find out whether the company is reliable,
whether the seeds are properly declared and whether they are viable and
germinate reliably.
Thanks in advance
Gotthelf
--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de
Old 06-08-2012, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 11:45:53 +0200, G Wolmershäuser
wrote:

After having no success with this question in the corresponding German
newsgroup I'd rather ask here for information. Does anyone have
experience with the seed store http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/ ? In
particular I would like to find out whether the company is reliable,
whether the seeds are properly declared and whether they are viable and
germinate reliably.

Plant World is ten minutes drive from here and I have bought plants
from them on several occasions in the past without any problems, but I
have not purchased seeds.

The business has been in existence for many years.
--
rbel

Old 06-08-2012, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

rbel wrote
Plant World is ten minutes drive from here and I have bought plants
from them on several occasions in the past without any problems, but I
have not purchased seeds.

The business has been in existence for many years.

Oh my, there are some really lovely things on their perennials list -
and I'm only three-quarters way through 'A' as yet! I wish they were ten
minutes drive from my house.

--
Sue

Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 06.08.2012 21:36, schrieb Chris Hogg:

AIUI they collect their own seeds by hand from plants in their own
'world garden'. It does mean that a lot of the seeds are 'open
pollinated, so Plant-World can't be certain that all the plants that
grow from those seeds will be identical to its parent.

Yes, that's my main concern. I'm particularly interested in Himalayan
plants, e.g. Meconopsis. Many of them do easily hybridize. Similar
problem with bluebells. I have not yet found a source for true
Hyacinthoides non-scripta. All of them were more or less hybridized with
H. hispanica.
Thank you very much for your impetus and many thanks to all the others
for their answers.
Gotthelf

--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de
Old 09-08-2012, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/08/2012 10:39, G Wolmershäuser wrote:
Am 06.08.2012 21:36, schrieb Chris Hogg:

AIUI they collect their own seeds by hand from plants in their own
'world garden'. It does mean that a lot of the seeds are 'open
pollinated, so Plant-World can't be certain that all the plants that
grow from those seeds will be identical to its parent.

Yes, that's my main concern. I'm particularly interested in Himalayan
plants, e.g. Meconopsis. Many of them do easily hybridize. Similar
problem with bluebells. I have not yet found a source for true
Hyacinthoides non-scripta. All of them were more or less hybridized with
H. hispanica.

http://www.avonbulbs.co.uk/s/hyacint...8/Product.aspx
I would be very surprised to find that these are not true.

Some alternatives at:
http://www.thegardeningwebsite.co.uk...land-c426.html

eg http://www.kevockgarden.co.uk/

I would guess that H. hispanica is far more uncommon in Scotland than in
England, so a Scottish supplier is more likely to have the true,
unhybridised, English bluebell.

--

Jeff

Old 11-08-2012, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 09.08.2012 21:46, schrieb Jeff Layman:

http://www.avonbulbs.co.uk/s/hyacint...8/Product.aspx
I would be very surprised to find that these are not true.

Perhaps you are right. However, I have learned that many of the plant-
(bulb- seed-) shops do lie with their photographs. Quite often the
colour or the size is wrong or the whole picture is taken from
somewhere. In the case of H. non-scripta there are some other parameters
besides flower stems nodding to one side. A few years ago I got
hybridized bluebells advertised as "true" bluebells even from a British
company (don't remember which one). So I'm somewhat suspicious.

Some alternatives at:
http://www.thegardeningwebsite.co.uk...land-c426.html

eg http://www.kevockgarden.co.uk/

I would guess that H. hispanica is far more uncommon in Scotland than in
England, so a Scottish supplier is more likely to have the true,
unhybridised, English bluebell.

OK, that sounds reasonable.

Gotthelf

--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de
Old 12-08-2012, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jeff Layman
writes
AIUI they collect their own seeds by hand from plants in their own
'world garden'. It does mean that a lot of the seeds are 'open
pollinated, so Plant-World can't be certain that all the plants that
grow from those seeds will be identical to its parent.

If you've been recently you'll notice there's not much left in their
world gardens!! After last winter and many areas of soon to be replanted
(apparently) bits plus plastic pandas and Bill and Ben and notices
asking you to 'find the banana for the monkey' there's not many of the
seeds in their catalogue noticeably growing anywhere. We went on the way
back from you Sacha and granted it was chucking it down and a gloomy day
but apart from the restaurant with charming staff and good food and the
ability to buy seeds from their catalogue at the counter but the actual
gardens were nothing like what we expected.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 13-08-2012, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 13.08.2012 01:55, schrieb Sacha:

Istr some correspondence we had about this...! But as far as we're
aware, there's nothing wrong with their seeds. However, if the OP is
seeking interesting seeds, he could also look at Derry Watkin's Special
Plants. She grows all the seed herself and again, we've found it to be
reliable and have had good reports, too. She's a true plantswoman
http://specialplants.net/

Hello Sacha,
thank you very much for that link. Actually, I'm especially interested
in Himalayan plants which seem to be rare on their list. However, it
looks like they have seeds of some other fine plants that might be of
interest for me.
Gotthelf

--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de
Old 13-08-2012, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2012 15:39, G Wolmershäuser wrote:
[...]

I believe that, in Scotland, the English Bluebell is commonly called
Harebell (aka Campanula rotundifolia), so you will need to use the latin
tag to be sure you get the right plant. Hyacinthoides non-scripta has
already been mentioned, but it is still occasionally seen as Scilla
non-scripta or Endymion non-scripta.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 13-08-2012, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 13.08.2012 11:41, schrieb Sacha:

In that case, did you find this site: http://www.himalayangardens.com/

Thank you Sacha. Of course, I already know this site. However, I did not
yet order from them. Shipping plants from UK to Germany is normally a
very expensive adventure. So I prefer to grow plants from seeds. In many
cases the emerging plants develop better than plants bought from abroad
simply because they are already acquainted to my growing conditions.
However, I will give this company a try. Prices seem to be very reasonable.
Gotthelf

--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de

Old 13-08-2012, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 13.08.2012 13:28, schrieb Spider:

I believe that, in Scotland, the English Bluebell is commonly called
Harebell (aka Campanula rotundifolia), so you will need to use the latin
tag to be sure you get the right plant. Hyacinthoides non-scripta has
already been mentioned, but it is still occasionally seen as Scilla
non-scripta or Endymion non-scripta.

Seems to be the same all over the world: common plant names are more
confusing than enlightening. :-)
Gotthelf

--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de
Old 13-08-2012, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/08/2012 17:15, G Wolmershäuser wrote:
Am 13.08.2012 13:28, schrieb Spider:

I believe that, in Scotland, the English Bluebell is commonly called
Harebell (aka Campanula rotundifolia), so you will need to use the latin
tag to be sure you get the right plant. Hyacinthoides non-scripta has
already been mentioned, but it is still occasionally seen as Scilla
non-scripta or Endymion non-scripta.

Seems to be the same all over the world: common plant names are more
confusing than enlightening. :-)
Gotthelf

Yup! I entirely agree.
Hope you manage to get hold of true English Bluebells.

Old 13-08-2012, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" I believe that, in Scotland, the English Bluebell is commonly called
Harebell (aka Campanula rotundifolia), so you will need to use the latin
tag to be sure you get the right plant. Hyacinthoides non-scripta has
already been mentioned, but it is still occasionally seen as Scilla
non-scripta or Endymion non-scripta.

--
Spider

Wrong way round Spider. The 'english' bluebell is called the wild hyacinth.
The 'scotish' bluebell is campanula rotundifolia

Phil

Ray Brown/Plant World Ornata United Kingdom 2 08-03-2008 05:13 PM
Seeds, Seeds, Seeds Kimberly Edible Gardening 8 03-01-2007 05:37 PM
World Plant Exchange ptjoe Gardening 4 02-06-2005 08:01 AM
Have MOSO seeds To trade with other bamboo seeds or rhyzomes [email protected] Bamboo 1 30-06-2004 02:35 PM