Old 20-09-2012, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A rainy evening at the allotment.

Wednesday evening is tennants meeting. My first.
What a load of bullshit!
I was criticised for almost even being alive. A stranger who has forced a
well loved tennant to give up just one of his 3 neglected plots.
I wish I had never bothered, they don't even know me. Well, balls to them,
I don't need their help. They might need mine one day. Blackballed for
having the audacity to sign up for a bit of shitty grassland.

Baz
Old 20-09-2012, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/09/2012 13:55, Baz wrote:
Wednesday evening is tennants meeting. My first.
What a load of bullshit!
I was criticised for almost even being alive. A stranger who has forced a
well loved tennant to give up just one of his 3 neglected plots.

I though you were on a waiting list and got given a half plot?
I fail to see how that is your fault.

I wish I had never bothered, they don't even know me. Well, balls to them,
I don't need their help. They might need mine one day. Blackballed for
having the audacity to sign up for a bit of shitty grassland.

Baz

You do seem to set out to rub people up the wrong way.

Getting on with the more experienced allotment growers would have given
you access to a load of surplus free plants and guidance next season.
I hope you haven't burnt all your bridges.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 20-09-2012, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote in
:

On 20/09/2012 13:55, Baz wrote:
Wednesday evening is tennants meeting. My first.
What a load of bullshit!
I was criticised for almost even being alive. A stranger who has
forced a well loved tennant to give up just one of his 3 neglected
plots.

I though you were on a waiting list and got given a half plot?
I fail to see how that is your fault.

I wish I had never bothered, they don't even know me. Well, balls to
them, I don't need their help. They might need mine one day.
Blackballed for having the audacity to sign up for a bit of shitty
grassland.

Baz

You do seem to set out to rub people up the wrong way.

Getting on with the more experienced allotment growers would have
given you access to a load of surplus free plants and guidance next
season. I hope you haven't burnt all your bridges.

Yes, you are right in saying that I rub some people up the wrong way.
It's the norm here in Lincolnshire to speak your mind and I admit I can
seem to be a bit of a twerp. Just one of my failings I am afraid, but I
have a kind heart, I think, and so I have been told. My bark is much worse
than my bite. I will just have to try harder to rub people the right way.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!

The above meaning me.
Baz
Old 20-09-2012, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
Martin Brown wrote in
:

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 20-09-2012, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

Wednesday evening is tennants meeting. My first.
What a load of bullshit!
I was criticised for almost even being alive. A stranger who has forced a
well loved tennant to give up just one of his 3 neglected plots.
I wish I had never bothered, they don't even know me. Well, balls to them,
I don't need their help. They might need mine one day. Blackballed for
having the audacity to sign up for a bit of shitty grassland.

Yes it happens. Some people don't like any change even if it's for the
better and if you went in with both feet I can imagine the outcome. Put
stuff into a local show once, got 5 firsts and a second out of 8 and the
rumpus it caused, "but I always win that prize...." I never went back.
Friend has had the same with her Cornish Pasties but she is of thicker skin
and even got Best in Show in the baking section this year, bet that ruffled
a few feathers.

If you keep your plot tidy, and grow stuff well, and they can see you're a
good gardener they will come around eventually. If it's that clicky you may
even start a new opposition faction. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 20-09-2012, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Baz" wrote

[...]

Yers I will vote for Baz

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 20-09-2012, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote ...

"Ophelia" wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Baz" wrote

[...]

Vote for Bob's friend, if you like Cornish Pasties.

I was standing there looking at her ticket saying she had "best in show"
when a lady turned to her husband and said "They look good but I wonder what
they taste like" to which I was able to reply, "Amazing as usual, I've just
eaten one for lunch".
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 20-09-2012, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
Wednesday evening is tennants meeting. My first.
What a load of bullshit!
I was criticised for almost even being alive. A stranger who has forced a
well loved tennant to give up just one of his 3 neglected plots.
I wish I had never bothered, they don't even know me. Well, balls to them,
I don't need their help. They might need mine one day. Blackballed for
having the audacity to sign up for a bit of shitty grassland.

Baz

Keep your head down for a year and just do your plot.. Eventually they will
like you. If, of course, you are "nice"

Old 20-09-2012, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 Baz wrote:

Yes, you are right in saying that I rub some people up the wrong way.
It's the norm here in Lincolnshire to speak your mind and I admit I can
seem to be a bit of a twerp. Just one of my failings I am afraid, but I
have a kind heart, I think, and so I have been told. My bark is much worse
than my bite. I will just have to try harder to rub people the right way.

No, you're not Baz. You're the character in Fawlty Towers, played
brilliantly by Ken Campbell, who rubbed everyone, including Baz, up the
wrong way by stating the truth. ;-)

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 21-09-2012, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Martin" wrote ...

"Ophelia" wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Baz" wrote

[...]

Lovely)))

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 21-09-2012, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Yes it happens. Some people don't like any change even if it's for the
better and if you went in with both feet I can imagine the outcome.
Put stuff into a local show once, got 5 firsts and a second out of 8
and the rumpus it caused, "but I always win that prize...." I never
went back. Friend has had the same with her Cornish Pasties but she is
of thicker skin and even got Best in Show in the baking section this
year, bet that ruffled a few feathers.

If you keep your plot tidy, and grow stuff well, and they can see
you're a good gardener they will come around eventually. If it's that
clicky you may even start a new opposition faction. :-)

There were 8 of us who were "given" half alotments and 3 turned up at the
meeting. Funny how the 3 new tennants were made to feel unwelcome. We had
the law laid down to us by tennants who break all the rules, not directly
but through the secretary. Don't do this don't do that. Do as I say, not do
as I do is the message we all got. Clicky only scratches the surface.
Well, they will hate me more in time. The first thing is, as it is the
council which owns and runs it, they should examine tennancies and find out
who have inherited a plot without notifying the council in order to have
multiple plots. No one person is allowed more than one plot. I know of at
least one person doing this. A strict rule and is very easy to verify.

All I wanted was a bit of land to grow the stuff that I grow.
Baz
Old 21-09-2012, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

[...]

Nasty such a shame that people have to be like that

Old 21-09-2012, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote .

"Bob Hobden" wrote in

[...]

It's often the older tenants that break the rules.
Went down our site yesterday late afternoon to do some watering and as I
drove along I could smell smoke, turning to drive under the M25 the tunnel
was thick with acrid smoke and when I got to the site there was a disgusting
fire being tended by one of the older gardeners which he left
burning/smouldering when he went home. Strict rule is no fires and our
council "dump" is not a quarter of a mile away so why would anyone need to
burn stuff! The Council lady will see the fire when she does her monthly
inspection so he's in for a stern letter.

Do you know who is the Allotment Representative for your site, the person
that liases with the Council and goes to the annual meetings? That is the
person that should sort out problems on the site and ensure there is no
serious cheating. Probably one of the old guard too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-09-2012, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Judith, Massif Central France. wrote:
Bob I'm sure it is nice to get on with fellow plot users but for those
who have already judged Baz and don't even know him, it doesn't say
much for them.

But if Baz went in intending to kick up a rumpous, which it does sound
like he may have been, I'm not entirely surprised they've got a bit ..
defensive, shall we say?

I once told a member of staff, who didn't like me,
that I was paid to do a job, not to be liked.

No offence intended, but I find that quite sad. One of the few things
that makes work enjoyable is the fact that I am, on the whole, fairly
well liked. If I wasn't, I don't think I'd be able to go in day after
day.

Also, old plotholders vs new plotholders breaking the rules ... the
bloke who took on our old plot when we moved sideways (from a half to a
full) erected and concreted in a giant fruit cage which was way over the
size allowed, but the reaction of the council rep was "well, it's there
now, we can't get him to remove it". :-/

Old 21-09-2012, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob I have tried wearing my diving googles, I hate peeling onions and
don't get me started on shallots!!

Grown ou your shallotment?