Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Rob is offline

Default Theft

A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.
Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob" wrote in message
A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.
Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

Non whatsoever. It's not a speeding car which will bring in revenue.

Mike

Old 07-10-2012, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/10/2012 09:30, Rob wrote:
A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.
Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

Might be worth ringing 101 as you will likely find they have done the
entire street or neighbourhood. Have you checked you garage/toolshed?

You will need a crime number if you intend to make an insurance claim.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 07-10-2012, 10:47 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.
Is there any
point in calling the Police ?
If your house insurance covers theft from the garden, you'll need a police crime number for the insurance company.

If you don't report it, then the police have no idea it's happened, and therefore don't have a true idea of crime in your area. there won't be any push for resources in your area because, of course, there isn't any crime.

There is a remote chance that they'll find the perpetrator, especially if they're already looking at him for something else. For example, my father came home to find all his valuables in a pillow case on the landing. He rang the police, they said "we think we've got him" - they had a guy on bail doing his daily report (in between collecting my dad's valuables and going back to collect them), and they noticed my father's gold watch on his wrist, so they hung on to him.

So - remote chance of getting it back. But even if the chance is slim, it's still worth getting it on the record.
__________________
Old 07-10-2012, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-10-07 09:30:12 +0100, Rob said:

A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.
Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

If you're hoping to make an insurance claim, you have to call the police
and get a case number.
--
Sacha

and watch the excess on the insurance policy, AND, you stand a pretty good
chance of the premium going up next year if you make a claim. OK change your
insurance company if they do that? "Have you made a claim in the last 5
years?"

Don't bother with the police, it's not a speeding car, just write it off to
experience. Don't get another one.

Mike

Old 07-10-2012, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, October 7, 2012 9:31:59 AM UTC+1, Rob wrote:
A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.

Is there any

point in calling the Police ?

You never know what they might come across when on another case

NT
Old 07-10-2012, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rob wrote in :

A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.
Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

There is a good chance that you are not alone with this theft.
Call the police on Tel.No.101

http://tinyurl.com/9jtp6tx

It works so many times and lets get the scroates locked up.

Baz
Old 07-10-2012, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 09:30:12 +0100, Rob wrote:

A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.
Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

Certainly. It's unlikely to have been the only theft in the area and
if it turns up with other stolen goods you will have a chance of
getting it back.
If you don't report it you have no chance at all.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/10/2012 13:32, Baz wrote:
Rob wrote in :

A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.
Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

There is a good chance that you are not alone with this theft.
Call the police on Tel.No.101

http://tinyurl.com/9jtp6tx

It works so many times and lets get the scroates locked up.

Baz

I'd also report it to the Police, at least it alerts them to the type of
thing being nicked in their area.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/10/2012 13:54, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

On 07/10/2012 13:32, Baz wrote:
Rob wrote in :

A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last
night. Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

There is a good chance that you are not alone with this theft.
Call the police on Tel.No.101

http://tinyurl.com/9jtp6tx

It works so many times and lets get the scroates locked up.

Baz

I'd also report it to the Police, at least it alerts them to the type
of thing being nicked in their area.

I thought I said that! :-)

Baz

Sorry Baz
I should have said "Like Baz I'd also report it to the Police, at least
it alerts them to the type of thing being nicked in their area."

Old 07-10-2012, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/10/2012 13:37, Fuschia wrote:
On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 09:30:12 +0100, Rob wrote:

A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.
Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

Certainly. It's unlikely to have been the only theft in the area and
if it turns up with other stolen goods you will have a chance of
getting it back.
If you don't report it you have no chance at all.

The police have lots of unclaimed items that they have recovered, so it
is worth reporting it on the off chance that it ha,s or will turn up in
the future. They periodically hold auctions to get rid of the items, if
there happens to be one near you attend it as I understand there are
some bargains to be had.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/10/2012 09:30, Rob wrote:
A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.
Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

Yes, you must ring them. Every reported crime becomes a statistic in
the battle to recruit more police officers, rather than less. I run an
active Neighbourhood Watch Scheme and I ask all my members to report
crime to the Police, as well as to me so that I can warn others.

You may not get your ornament back. You may not even be impressed with
the police reaction every time, but your reported crime makes a lot of
difference to how police numbers and presence on the streets are
perceived.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2012-10-07 13:52:59 +0100, David Hill
said:

On 07/10/2012 13:32, Baz wrote:
Rob wrote in
:

A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last
night. Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

There is a good chance that you are not alone with this theft.
Call the police on Tel.No.101

http://tinyurl.com/9jtp6tx

It works so many times and lets get the scroates locked up.

Baz

I'd also report it to the Police, at least it alerts them to the type
of thing being nicked in their area.

I agree. And as said elsewhere, others in the area may have suffered
theft, too and if so, the more reports, the more chance of the
perpetrators being caught and/or property recovered. Apart from
anything else, a true record of crime figures, even petty crime, is
important to those in the area, too, imo.

Too right, Sacha.
What might seem as petty crime to you and me is major for some older or
even vulnerable folks who might not come across any sort of crime before.
The thing to do is report ALL crimes and let the police do their job. DNA
scanning of evidence is a real criminal catcher. Footprints are so very
useful too.
The time is nearly up for criminals I think.

Baz

Allotment 'Theft' ? Jim Paterson United Kingdom 2 05-01-2007 09:17 AM
Orchid Photo Theft vortex Orchids 37 21-08-2006 01:00 PM
sago, $$ plant theft, electronic chips and other deterrents. Gardñ@Gardñ.info Gardening 0 23-08-2004 06:49 AM
[IBC] Obsession and theft Anton Nijhuis Bonsai 8 30-04-2003 02:56 PM
Garden ornament theft Essjay001 United Kingdom 5 24-04-2003 01:20 AM