Old 08-10-2012, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Theft

On 08/10/2012 13:17, Baz wrote:
Sacha wrote in
:

On 2012-10-07 13:52:59 +0100, David Hill
said:

On 07/10/2012 13:32, Baz wrote:
Rob wrote in
:

A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last
night. Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

There is a good chance that you are not alone with this theft.
Call the police on Tel.No.101

http://tinyurl.com/9jtp6tx

It works so many times and lets get the scroates locked up.

Baz

I'd also report it to the Police, at least it alerts them to the type
of thing being nicked in their area.

I agree. And as said elsewhere, others in the area may have suffered
theft, too and if so, the more reports, the more chance of the
perpetrators being caught and/or property recovered. Apart from
anything else, a true record of crime figures, even petty crime, is
important to those in the area, too, imo.

Too right, Sacha.
What might seem as petty crime to you and me is major for some older or
even vulnerable folks who might not come across any sort of crime before.
The thing to do is report ALL crimes and let the police do their job. DNA
scanning of evidence is a real criminal catcher. Footprints are so very
useful too.
The time is nearly up for criminals I think.

Be careful what you wish for.

Some local villagers suffered problems with being an apparent crime
hotspot and higher insurance premiums because of the stupidity of the
postcode logging of crimes on the police database and local crimes map.

The criminal offences were all driving away without paying at a petrol
service station on a nearby dual carriageway (ie. same post code).

I still think garden ornament theft is worth reporting. You might just
get your stuff back if someone spots it at a car boot sale/auction.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-10-2012, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/10/2012 14:17, Rob wrote:
On 07/10/2012 09:30, Rob wrote:
A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.
Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

Found it!! It was carried to the bottom of the garden and then hidden
in the undergrowth.
Very difficult to see. (No drag marks) Low level vandalism again. We

Not necessarily. They can come back later and pick up the heavy stuff -
usually with a sack barrow. Keep your eyes peeled just in case.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob" wrote in message
A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night. Is
there any
point in calling the Police ?

Yes. ~why not?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 09:30:12 +0100, Rob wrote:

A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.
Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

Yes.

Get a crime reference number.

Because so much crime goes unreported areas get less policing. Which
makes people feel there's less reason to ring the police.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 10-10-2012, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote in :

On 07/10/2012 09:30, Rob wrote:
A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last night.
Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

Yes, you must ring them. Every reported crime becomes a statistic in
the battle to recruit more police officers, rather than less. I run an
active Neighbourhood Watch Scheme and I ask all my members to report
crime to the Police, as well as to me so that I can warn others.

You may not get your ornament back. You may not even be impressed with
the police reaction every time, but your reported crime makes a lot of
difference to how police numbers and presence on the streets are
perceived.

Yes! Solid information.

Baz

Old 10-10-2012, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:03:23 GMT, Baz wrote:

Spider wrote in
:

On 07/10/2012 09:30, Rob wrote:
A rather elegant Bird Bath/Statue was stolen from the garden last
night. Is there any
point in calling the Police ?

Yes, you must ring them. Every reported crime becomes a statistic
in the battle to recruit more police officers, rather than less. I
run an active Neighbourhood Watch Scheme and I ask all my members to
report crime to the Police, as well as to me so that I can warn
others.

You may not get your ornament back. You may not even be impressed
with the police reaction every time, but your reported crime makes a
lot of difference to how police numbers and presence on the streets
are perceived.

Yes! Solid information.

Yes, but in the end it turned out not to have been stolen.

The police need information and if a few false calls are made they do not
mind. And If they are to solve crime they need reports from everyone, if
only to get more feet on the beat. Sort a few scroats who think it is
normal to rob their target of vulnerable honest people.

Baz
Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

The police actively encourage people to report crimes.

Do they? Well you would not know this unless you were on Mars because it
has been said so many times within this thread.

Baz
Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin Brown
writes
Might be worth ringing 101 as you will likely find they have done the
entire street or neighbourhood. Have you checked you garage/toolshed?

Oh - I read this the first time as that you were implying that he might
have put the statue in the shed and forgotten it
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
The sort of thing that happens in our household. :-)
--

Martin

Oh glad that it's not just me!
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
I didn't mention car keys, house keys, TV controllers and
spectacles.We searched the garden, the garage, and the house from top
to bottom, for a missing front door key and gave up. The key was left
in the lock on the outside of the front door.

Oh done that. I lose reading glasses all the time then suddenly find
about 6 pairs.
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 19:10:12 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Martin
writes
I didn't mention car keys, house keys, TV controllers and
spectacles.We searched the garden, the garage, and the house from top
to bottom, for a missing front door key and gave up. The key was left
in the lock on the outside of the front door.

Oh done that. I lose reading glasses all the time then suddenly find
about 6 pairs.

Worse still, I have found reading glasses, that don't belong to
anybody in our household.

Oh noooooooooo a burglar has been coming to read your books!!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 20:17:29 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

In article , Martin
writes
I didn't mention car keys, house keys, TV controllers and
spectacles.We searched the garden, the garage, and the house from top
to bottom, for a missing front door key and gave up. The key was left
in the lock on the outside of the front door.

Oh done that. I lose reading glasses all the time then suddenly find
about 6 pairs.

Worse still, I have found reading glasses, that don't belong to
anybody in our household.

Oh noooooooooo a burglar has been coming to read your books!!

Spooky!

They are more likely to have belonged to my late father or late f-i-l

They probably left them behind after visits and SWMBO tidied them
away.

Sounds more like

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 13-10-2012, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-10-12 20:03:51 +0100, Martin said:

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 19:10:12 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

We haven't had false teeth yet but the Tea Room, over the last 3 years,
has collected a rather good leather handbag, several pairs of sun glasses,
2 pairs of reading glasses, a couple of coats, a cashmere sweater, several
scarves, a baby's bottle, a baby's cup, a child's tricycle, a backpack
thing you carry a child in and a unicycle and coat (those 3 were picked up
later that day), a little pouch holding some lead soldiers, 3 walking
sticks, a pair of NHS elbow support crutches, umpteen single earrings
except the one I lost dammit, a child's buggy, also collected that day,
several wallets always returned finally to a panicking owner, 3 mobile
phones and one set of house & car keys. To my real chagrin nobody has left
behind a Mac laptop! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

In summer 2005 we found a ladies straw hat in the outside loo after a garden
open day, put it a bag in the utility room to await collection. found it
again in 2011 while remodeling the kitchen and utility, it went over to the
barn with the rest of the junk, this summer in June (2012) a Lady fetched up
and asked if we had found it!
That's what you call memory, me I can never find anything that's why I leave
everything out on view :~)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 13-10-2012, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
We haven't had false teeth yet but the Tea Room, over the last 3 years,
has collected a rather good leather handbag, several pairs of sun
glasses, 2 pairs of reading glasses, a couple of coats, a cashmere
sweater, several scarves, a baby's bottle, a baby's cup, a child's
tricycle, a backpack thing you carry a child in and a unicycle and coat
(those 3 were picked up later that day), a little pouch holding some
lead soldiers, 3 walking sticks, a pair of NHS elbow support crutches,
umpteen single earrings except the one I lost dammit, a child's buggy,
also collected that day, several wallets always returned finally to a
panicking owner, 3 mobile phones and one set of house & car keys. To my
real chagrin nobody has left behind a Mac laptop! ;-)

Wot, no cuddly toy?
Old 13-10-2012, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
He was sure that the guy
working in the cafe had taken it, but could prove nothing.

Someone tried to take my sisters purse in the Metro on train in Paris.
She realised and actually swung round and knocked him out Cheers from
French co-passengers
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Allotment 'Theft' ? Jim Paterson United Kingdom 2 05-01-2007 09:17 AM
Orchid Photo Theft vortex Orchids 37 21-08-2006 01:00 PM
sago, $$ plant theft, electronic chips and other deterrents. Gardñ@Gardñ.info Gardening 0 23-08-2004 06:49 AM
[IBC] Obsession and theft Anton Nijhuis Bonsai 8 30-04-2003 02:56 PM
Garden ornament theft Essjay001 United Kingdom 5 24-04-2003 01:20 AM