Old 27-10-2012, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is keeping rabbits for the table OT here?

I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

Baz
Old 27-10-2012, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

Baz

Keeping Chickens is OK, so go ahead

Mike

Old 27-10-2012, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

I don't know but they talk about chickens. I would like to hear about it
anyway.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-10-2012, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/2012 16:09, Baz wrote:
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

Baz

My French neighbour rears rabbits for his table. He gave us a skinned
one once, can't say we were keen; the meat tasted quite strong.
Old 27-10-2012, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/2012 15:09, Baz wrote:
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

Baz

Don't need to 'keep' them. If I had a gun I could pick one off in the
garden any time - worse than slugs here.

Trevor
East Yorkshire

Old 27-10-2012, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/2012 16:15, David in Normandy wrote:
On 27/10/2012 16:09, Baz wrote:
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

Baz

My French neighbour rears rabbits for his table. He gave us a skinned
one once, can't say we were keen; the meat tasted quite strong.

40 years ago when I started driving (and staying out late at night
seeing irls), I knocked one down most nights on the way home. I chucked
it in the boot and my dad skinned it and my mother cooked it. Evereyon
around here (East Yorkshire) ate them in those days. (early 70's.

Old 27-10-2012, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/2012 15:09, Baz wrote:
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

Baz

I used to keep White Beverans many years ago, bread them for meat, the
Buck and the does were pets, the ofspring "meat".
Old 27-10-2012, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
. com...
On 27/10/2012 15:09, Baz wrote:
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

Baz

Don't need to 'keep' them. If I had a gun I could pick one off in the
garden any time - worse than slugs here.

Trevor
East Yorkshire

What's the situation these days with mixymytoesup? Has been bad here on the
Isle of Wight, enough to put you off rabbit.

Mike

Old 27-10-2012, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David in Normandy wrote:
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

My French neighbour rears rabbits for his table. He gave us a skinned
one once, can't say we were keen; the meat tasted quite strong.

A friend used to raise rabbits for food. He said after eating the first
they almost gave up because it was terrible and bland. Then they realised
they had to leave it to mature for a while, and he is now a huge fan of it.

Old 27-10-2012, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
David in Normandy wrote:
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

My French neighbour rears rabbits for his table. He gave us a skinned
one once, can't say we were keen; the meat tasted quite strong.

A friend used to raise rabbits for food. He said after eating the first
they almost gave up because it was terrible and bland. Then they realised
they had to leave it to mature for a while, and he is now a huge fan of
it.

D shoots the ones we get. I usually cook them (fresh) in a cream and
mushroom sauce No complaints around here

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-10-2012, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ophelia wrote:
A friend used to raise rabbits for food. He said after eating the first
they almost gave up because it was terrible and bland. Then they realised
they had to leave it to mature for a while, and he is now a huge fan of
it.

D shoots the ones we get. I usually cook them (fresh) in a cream and
mushroom sauce No complaints around here

Rabbit was one of the last things I ate before going vegetarian. My dad sat
and picked the lead shot out of it before making a stew. I honestly can't
remember at all what it tasted like.
Old 27-10-2012, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
A friend used to raise rabbits for food. He said after eating the first
they almost gave up because it was terrible and bland. Then they
realised
they had to leave it to mature for a while, and he is now a huge fan of
it.

D shoots the ones we get. I usually cook them (fresh) in a cream and
mushroom sauce No complaints around here

Rabbit was one of the last things I ate before going vegetarian. My dad
sat
and picked the lead shot out of it before making a stew. I honestly can't
remember at all what it tasted like.

The lead shot or the rabbit? ;o) I am lucky in that D is good enough to
always shoot them through the head, so I have never had to deal with the
lead shot

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-10-2012, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ophelia wrote:
Rabbit was one of the last things I ate before going vegetarian. My dad
sat
and picked the lead shot out of it before making a stew. I honestly can't
remember at all what it tasted like.

The lead shot or the rabbit? ;o) I am lucky in that D is good enough to
always shoot them through the head, so I have never had to deal with the
lead shot

Well, either really. I do remember having to spit a few bits out. And
they went clunk.
Old 27-10-2012, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
Rabbit was one of the last things I ate before going vegetarian. My dad
sat
and picked the lead shot out of it before making a stew. I honestly
can't
remember at all what it tasted like.

The lead shot or the rabbit? ;o) I am lucky in that D is good enough to
always shoot them through the head, so I have never had to deal with the
lead shot

Well, either really. I do remember having to spit a few bits out. And
they went clunk.

I can see why you would be put off, but if your Dad was a good shot, I bet
it was bone.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-10-2012, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 18:51:37 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
[...]

How does he make shot only hit the head? Maybe he uses bullets?

Well, a pellet rather than a bullet, he usually uses the air rifle for
rabbits. He does use my .410
sometimes, but he considers the .410 a short range gun - under 25 yards -
and at that range the spread of shot is fairly limited anyway, so not much
hits back behind the neck. He most often uses the 12 bore for pigeon,
feathered or clay :-)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/