Old 27-10-2012, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Is keeping rabbits for the table OT here?

Ophelia wrote:
The lead shot or the rabbit? ;o) I am lucky in that D is good enough to
always shoot them through the head, so I have never had to deal with the
lead shot

Well, either really. I do remember having to spit a few bits out. And
they went clunk.

I can see why you would be put off, but if your Dad was a good shot, I bet
it was bone.

Oh lordy, it wasn't my dad doing the shooting! I think it was from a farmer.
ANd it was definitely definitely lead shot that I spat out.
Old 27-10-2012, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David in
Normandy writes
My French neighbour rears rabbits for his table. He gave us a skinned
one once, can't say we were keen; the meat tasted quite strong.

Oh rabbit casserole is fabulous!! Can't get rabbit now like they used to
sell. In the 80's you could get cubes of Chinese rabbit frozen in packs,
my puppies loved it and
though it wasn't quite as strong as proper shot rabbit it was still
lovely in a stew.

Only thing that comes close is turkey leg meat casserole.

Old 27-10-2012, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bert" ] wrote in message

We gave up when Myxie came (1st time around). We do now use rabbit for the
dogs when we can get it, but it is surprising how difficult that is
--
bert

Mixie is a terrible disease. We still see outbreaks in various places, but
some of the rabbits do recover now. Still, if D finds one badly affected he
will put it down. The disease doesn't transfer to humans and in theory you
can eat a rabbit that has it but most people would have to be pretty
desperate to do that if they saw the rabbit before it was skinned and
cleaned. When I get them it is as meat in a bag; D does all the prep out in
the field and leaves the skin and guts for the foxes and crows, but he won't
bring me one that has any sort of infection.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-10-2012, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
People talk about chooks, so I don't see why not. If they're in your
garden, they affect your gardening!

Why do they dig little holes in flower beds? A friend has a large garden
and has suddenly had an influx of rabbits across the lawns. The Flower
beds seem to have little scrapings all over them, not deep enough to
find most bulbs.
Are they looking for bulbs or something else?
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 27-10-2012, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
The lead shot or the rabbit? ;o) I am lucky in that D is good enough
always shoot them through the head, so I have never had to deal with
the
lead shot

Well, either really. I do remember having to spit a few bits out. And
they went clunk.

I can see why you would be put off, but if your Dad was a good shot, I
bet
it was bone.

Oh lordy, it wasn't my dad doing the shooting! I think it was from a
farmer.
ANd it was definitely definitely lead shot that I spat out.

Ok

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Old 27-10-2012, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/2012 19:04, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 18:51:37 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
A friend used to raise rabbits for food. He said after eating the first
they almost gave up because it was terrible and bland. Then they
realised
they had to leave it to mature for a while, and he is now a huge fan of
it.

D shoots the ones we get. I usually cook them (fresh) in a cream and
mushroom sauce No complaints around here

Rabbit was one of the last things I ate before going vegetarian. My dad
sat
and picked the lead shot out of it before making a stew. I honestly can't
remember at all what it tasted like.

The lead shot or the rabbit? ;o) I am lucky in that D is good enough to
always shoot them through the head, so I have never had to deal with the
lead shot

How does he make shot only hit the head? Maybe he uses bullets?

If you were doing as Baz asked about and keep Rabbits for meat
production then you don't get shot in them
Old 27-10-2012, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
[...]

True and I am very interested to hear how he is doing so.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-10-2012, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/27/2012 1:51 PM, Ophelia wrote:
wrote
Ophelia wrote:
A friend used to raise rabbits for food. He said after eating the first
they almost gave up because it was terrible and bland. Then they realised
they had to leave it to mature for a while, and he is now a huge fan of it.

D shoots the ones we get. I usually cook them (fresh) in a cream and
mushroom sauce No complaints around here

Rabbit was one of the last things I ate before going vegetarian. My dad sat
and picked the lead shot out of it before making a stew. I honestly can't
remember at all what it tasted like.

The lead shot or the rabbit? ;o) I am lucky in that D is good enough to
always shoot them through the head, so I have never had to deal with the
lead shot

That's the way my Granpa taught my uncles to shoot. If they weren't
certain of a clear shot to the head, they weren't to pull the trigger.
Old 27-10-2012, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:
[...]

Indeed and one day I hope to be good enough.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 27-10-2012, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 19:38:35 +0100, bert ] wrote:

We gave up when Myxie came (1st time around). We do now use rabbit for
the dogs when we can get it, but it is surprising how difficult that is

I read somewhere a couple of days ago that myxie had been discovered
somewhere but cannot remember where. People were being advised to
vaccinate pet rabbits. I didn't know that there was a vaccine.

A school friend (many years ago) had two pet rabbits. Family fell on
hard times. One evening he got home from school to a rabbit stew.
After eating it he discovered his pets had run away.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 27-10-2012, 10:46 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_2_] View Post
Oh rabbit casserole is fabulous!! Can't get rabbit now like they used to
sell. In the 80's you could get cubes of Chinese rabbit frozen in packs,
my puppies loved it and
though it wasn't quite as strong as proper shot rabbit it was still
lovely in a stew.
A previous partner used to be paid "in kind" with either duck or rabbit. I really don't like the smell as you skin the rabbit - I'll prepare it for other people but not eat it myself if I've had to skin and prepare it.

I remember the Chinese rabbit.

If people are keen to try, you can get rabbit from this place:
Organic Meat | Buy Organic Meat, Organic Produce | Graig Farm Organics
__________________
Old 27-10-2012, 10:50 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Jake View Post
On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 19:38:35 +0100, bert ] wrote:

We gave up when Myxie came (1st time around). We do now use rabbit for
the dogs when we can get it, but it is surprising how difficult that is

I read somewhere a couple of days ago that myxie had been discovered
somewhere but cannot remember where. People were being advised to
vaccinate pet rabbits. I didn't know that there was a vaccine.
I thought it hadn't actually gone away?
__________________
Old 28-10-2012, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
On 27/10/2012 16:09, Baz wrote:
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

Baz

My French neighbour rears rabbits for his table. He gave us a skinned one
once, can't say we were keen; the meat tasted quite strong.

It's one of the two foods that produces projectile vomiting as far as I'm
concerned [the other is eels]. Never had it in my mouth long enough to be
able to comment on the taste, but the very smell of rabbit stew makes me
heave.

--
Kathy

Old 28-10-2012, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
A friend used to raise rabbits for food. He said after eating the first
they almost gave up because it was terrible and bland. Then they
realised
they had to leave it to mature for a while, and he is now a huge fan of
it.

D shoots the ones we get. I usually cook them (fresh) in a cream and
mushroom sauce No complaints around here

Rabbit was one of the last things I ate before going vegetarian. My dad
sat
and picked the lead shot out of it before making a stew. I honestly can't
remember at all what it tasted like.

The lead shot or the rabbit? ;o) I am lucky in that D is good enough to
always shoot them through the head, so I have never had to deal with the
lead shot

How does he make shot only hit the head? Maybe he uses bullets?

Back in my younger days when I did a lot of rough shooting, I would sit
in a field hedge with the wind in my face and wait for the rabbits to
appear at dusk. I would then shoot them with a .22 semi-repeating rifle
fitted with a silencer and a telescopic sight. Always through the head,
that way you didn't spoil the meat.
My local butcher would pay me 2/6d for each fully grown rabbit. As the
bullet cost about 3d it was money for jam.
Sometimes I could get 25 or 30 rabbits in one evening.

Peter
--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797