Old 28-10-2012, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is keeping rabbits for the table OT here?

"Peter James" wrote in message
.. .
Martin wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 18:51:37 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
A friend used to raise rabbits for food. He said after eating the
first
they almost gave up because it was terrible and bland. Then they
realised
they had to leave it to mature for a while, and he is now a huge fan
of
it.

D shoots the ones we get. I usually cook them (fresh) in a cream and
mushroom sauce No complaints around here

Rabbit was one of the last things I ate before going vegetarian. My
dad
sat
and picked the lead shot out of it before making a stew. I honestly
can't
remember at all what it tasted like.

The lead shot or the rabbit? ;o) I am lucky in that D is good enough to
always shoot them through the head, so I have never had to deal with the
lead shot

How does he make shot only hit the head? Maybe he uses bullets?

Back in my younger days when I did a lot of rough shooting, I would sit
in a field hedge with the wind in my face and wait for the rabbits to
appear at dusk. I would then shoot them with a .22 semi-repeating rifle
fitted with a silencer and a telescopic sight. Always through the head,
that way you didn't spoil the meat.
My local butcher would pay me 2/6d for each fully grown rabbit. As the
bullet cost about 3d it was money for jam.
Sometimes I could get 25 or 30 rabbits in one evening.

Peter
--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797

Peter as a matter of interest, how long ago was this and what did the
butcher sell them for? Would like to compare it with today's prices/profit

Old 28-10-2012, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message

Back in my younger days when I did a lot of rough shooting, I would sit
in a field hedge with the wind in my face and wait for the rabbits to
appear at dusk. I would then shoot them with a .22 semi-repeating rifle
fitted with a silencer and a telescopic sight. Always through the head,
that way you didn't spoil the meat.
My local butcher would pay me 2/6d for each fully grown rabbit. As the
bullet cost about 3d it was money for jam.
Sometimes I could get 25 or 30 rabbits in one evening.

Himself used to shoot with .22LR too, I think his last gun was a BRNO bolt
action, but he gave up the FAC (Firearms Certificate) when he moved down to
Glasgow and away from where he had suitable shooting permissions, so now he
uses the air rifle and shotguns. When we move to somewhere he can shoot over
ground safe for cartridge rifles he says he will apply for a FAC again in
that police area, for .22 and perhaps a .243 if there are deer.

Do you still shoot?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 28-10-2012, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

I don't know but they talk about chickens. I would like to hear
about it anyway.

Well, I asked because I recently ate a very nice meal made by my friends
wife, of rabbit in gravy with mashed potatoes, cabbage and carrots.sic. I
loved it. I didn't know it was rabbit beforehand so it was a bit of a
surprise.
They have reared their own rabbits but I don't think they have done it with
their welfare as a number 1 priority. That pees me off.
I would like to breed some to use but only if I can look after them
properly, so I would like to hear some advice if anybody has some for me.
Old 28-10-2012, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/2012 12:14, Baz wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

I don't know but they talk about chickens. I would like to hear
about it anyway.

Well, I asked because I recently ate a very nice meal made by my friends
wife, of rabbit in gravy with mashed potatoes, cabbage and carrots.sic. I
loved it. I didn't know it was rabbit beforehand so it was a bit of a
surprise.
They have reared their own rabbits but I don't think they have done it with
their welfare as a number 1 priority. That pees me off.
I would like to breed some to use but only if I can look after them
properly, so I would like to hear some advice if anybody has some for me.

When I kept them they were in hutches in an old chicken shed which was
arouns 8ft x 6ft and 6ft high, they could then go out into the old
chicken run which was arouds 20ft square.
Looks as if the breed favoured now is the Newzeland White at £10 or so each.
Do remember thast you have to be able to kill the young when ready for
the table and to skin and clean them.
It helps to have a freezer so that when a batch are ready tou can kill
them all at the same time, remember each week that they are feeding the
more they are costing.
This link is worth reading
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6803894_ra...ts-profit.html
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay
Old 28-10-2012, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/2012 12:14, Baz wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

I don't know but they talk about chickens. I would like to hear
about it anyway.

Well, I asked because I recently ate a very nice meal made by my friends
wife, of rabbit in gravy with mashed potatoes, cabbage and carrots.sic. I
loved it. I didn't know it was rabbit beforehand so it was a bit of a
surprise.
They have reared their own rabbits but I don't think they have done it with
their welfare as a number 1 priority. That pees me off.
I would like to breed some to use but only if I can look after them
properly, so I would like to hear some advice if anybody has some for me.

They are enough of a pest round here that if you eat rabbit some tend to
arrive in return for other edible swaps. Just watch out for the lead
shot. I have chicken wire round the garden against field boundaries but
they still find a way in from time to time. One rabbit can do a
surprising amount of damage to a veg patch in a fairly short time.

Mr McGregor was right!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 28-10-2012, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

I don't know but they talk about chickens. I would like to hear
about it anyway.

Well, I asked because I recently ate a very nice meal made by my friends
wife, of rabbit in gravy with mashed potatoes, cabbage and carrots.sic. I
loved it. I didn't know it was rabbit beforehand so it was a bit of a
surprise.
They have reared their own rabbits but I don't think they have done it
with
their welfare as a number 1 priority. That pees me off.
I would like to breed some to use but only if I can look after them
properly, so I would like to hear some advice if anybody has some for me.

I can't properly give advice because we only eat wild one, but I would hope
that home bred rabbits would have plenty of space to run around and have
some life.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 28-10-2012, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Not any more I'm afraid. At 75 years of age, I'm not too sure I would
be safe with a .22 rifle. And I'm pretty sure the police would agree.

Peter

Old 28-10-2012, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
[...]

I'm talking of the late 1960's, 70's and 80's. I was a Sales Rep
selling Farm Machinery to the Agricultural Industry, so getting
somewhere to shoot was s fairly easy.
..22 cartridges were very cheap. I can't put a price on them, but I do
remember thinking at the time how cheap they were.

Peter

Old 28-10-2012, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message

Do you still shoot?

Not any more I'm afraid. At 75 years of age, I'm not too sure I would
be safe with a .22 rifle. And I'm pretty sure the police would agree.

No matter, you have great memories Do keep sharing

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Old 28-10-2012, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

wrote in message
David in Normandy wrote:
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.
My French neighbour rears rabbits for his table. He gave us a skinned
one once, can't say we were keen; the meat tasted quite strong.

A friend used to raise rabbits for food. He said after eating the first
they almost gave up because it was terrible and bland. Then they
realised
they had to leave it to mature for a while, and he is now a huge fan of
it.

D shoots the ones we get. I usually cook them (fresh) in a cream and
mushroom sauce No complaints around here

Mum used to make rabbit stew and mostly at harvest time when people went out
rabbiting. If Mum or Dad found a kidney in their portion, they gave it to
me as I thought them a great delicacy, even as a toddler.
Graham

Old 28-10-2012, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 00:41:42 +0100, "Kathy" wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
e.fr...
On 27/10/2012 16:09, Baz wrote:
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

Baz

My French neighbour rears rabbits for his table. He gave us a skinned
one
once, can't say we were keen; the meat tasted quite strong.

It's one of the two foods that produces projectile vomiting as far as I'm
concerned [the other is eels]. Never had it in my mouth long enough to be
able to comment on the taste, but the very smell of rabbit stew makes me
heave.

Try eating smoked eels instead of boiled eels.

Nope. it's *any* eels that do it.

--
Kathy

Old 29-10-2012, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message

Mum used to make rabbit stew and mostly at harvest time when people went
out rabbiting. If Mum or Dad found a kidney in their portion, they gave
it to me as I thought them a great delicacy, even as a toddler.
Graham

Good taste even then eh? )

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 29-10-2012, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 00:41:42 +0100, "Kathy" wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
ge.fr...
On 27/10/2012 16:09, Baz wrote:
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

Baz

My French neighbour rears rabbits for his table. He gave us a skinned
one
once, can't say we were keen; the meat tasted quite strong.

It's one of the two foods that produces projectile vomiting as far as I'm
concerned [the other is eels]. Never had it in my mouth long enough to be
able to comment on the taste, but the very smell of rabbit stew makes me
heave.

Try eating smoked eels instead of boiled eels.

Nope. it's *any* eels that do it.

Is 'eel' the same as 'conger eel'?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 29-10-2012, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote in
news
On 28/10/2012 12:14, Baz wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
[...]

What lead shot? I won't be shooting them in their pen. I don't even have a
shotgun! I will be rearing them in my garden from 2 pregnant females at
first to see how I go. I need to know how to look aftem first.
Who is Mr McGregor?

Baz

Old 29-10-2012, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
news

The rabbit stud which impregnated your two females or was that Harvey?

I am no wiser. Harvey? Who is Harvey? And they are not my females yet.

The studs which impregnated them are FAB1&2(F**k all bunnies:Troy is
number1 and Virgil is 2). The lady rabbits love them. Harvey? is that a
sherry, or a Bristol cream. Parker would know. Ask Lady Penelope about
Parker.

Baz