Old 18-11-2012, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lovely weather.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:29:40 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

8am today, when I took out the dog there was ice on the cars and
pavements.

You need one of these Cornish weather forecast machines
http://tinyurl.com/coqql3t

lol, I love it) Btw I neglected to mention that although it was very cold
and icy, the air was clear and sun was shining over the Campsie Fells behind
my house) Very pretty

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-11-2012, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in
:

Same here in Suffolk, except we had a damp night. Unfortunately, I'm
*still* suffering with a nasty chest and can't, actually daren't,
take advantage and visit the lottie :-{

Oh, you poor thing I sympathise because I have chronic asthma and
my chest is always prone to that kind of thing.

I hope you have meds from your doc? Keep well wrapped up and warm!

Yes, keep warm. See what the doc can do. Usually a nasty cough clears by
time its self. I know I had one a few years ago and it niggled me for a
week or two before I saw my doctor and he told me to stay off work(I used
to work outdoors in the most apalling weather) and keep warm, eat and drink
as much vitamin C as I could. That worked for me. A few days later and
after a good nights sleep I felt very much better.

Baz
Old 18-11-2012, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-11-18 09:25:02 +0000, David Hill
said:

Dunno but it was flippin' freezing when I took the dog out ...

The wind here went from a northerly direction to south westerly.

Here in South Wales the sun is out , not a breath of wind and its 38f

We had a white lawn and glistening garden tables this morning but it's a
bright and sunny, cloudless day.

So much for that, forecast had dry till showers at around 9pm, nothing
showing on the Rain Radar, but after about 30 mins of lifting dahlias
the showers started till I came in for lunch. Clear now and again
nothing showing or forecast, so it's back out and try again.
PS The frost was in the field above us but not in the field with the
dahlias.
David @ the now sunny end of Swansea Bay
Old 18-11-2012, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-11-18 09:25:02 +0000, David Hill
said:

Dunno but it was flippin' freezing when I took the dog out ...

The wind here went from a northerly direction to south westerly.

Here in South Wales the sun is out , not a breath of wind and its 38f

We had a white lawn and glistening garden tables this morning but it's a
bright and sunny, cloudless day.

So much for that, forecast had dry till showers at around 9pm, nothing
showing on the Rain Radar, but after about 30 mins of lifting dahlias
the showers started till I came in for lunch. Clear now and again
nothing showing or forecast, so it's back out and try again.
PS The frost was in the field above us but not in the field with the
dahlias.
David @ the now sunny end of Swansea Bay

Last night the temperature in my area was supposed not to drop below 3
degs yet there was a hard frost on cars this morning. Does this mean the
temperature fell further than the Met Office thought, or is there some
other explanation?
Old 18-11-2012, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 19:36:50 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

Last night the temperature in my area was supposed not to drop below 3
degs yet there was a hard frost on cars this morning. Does this mean
the temperature fell further than the Met Office thought, or is there
some other explanation?

There is a difference between an air frost (air temperature) and a ground
frost (the temperature of surfaces).

Weather forecasts quote air temperature.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 19-11-2012, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

On 2012-11-18 09:25:02 +0000, David Hill
said:

Dunno but it was flippin' freezing when I took the dog out ...

The wind here went from a northerly direction to south westerly.

Here in South Wales the sun is out , not a breath of wind and its 38f

We had a white lawn and glistening garden tables this morning but it's a
bright and sunny, cloudless day.

Same here in Suffolk, except we had a damp night. Unfortunately, I'm
*still* suffering with a nasty chest and can't, actually daren't, take
advantage and visit the lottie :-{

Oh, you poor thing I sympathise because I have chronic asthma and my
chest is always prone to that kind of thing.

I hope you have meds from your doc? Keep well wrapped up and warm!

Thank you Ophelia and Baz for your kind concern. So far I've had three lots
of antibiotics and two weeks off work. It's a lot better than it was but
I'm still very breathless and wheezy when I try to do anything more
strenuous then walking on the flat. No doubt time will see it gone but it's
not pleasant and very limiting.

--
Kathy

Old 20-11-2012, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote in message

On 2012-11-18 09:25:02 +0000, David Hill
said:

[...]

Has your doc given any thought to asthma? You are describing just what I am
like when I need my inhaler which usually helps a lot. Just a thought ...

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 20-11-2012, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Kathy" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote in message

On 2012-11-18 09:25:02 +0000, David Hill

said:

[...]

Interesting. Two friends have recently asked if I have asthma, one when I
was doing nothing more strenuous then sitting in a pub drinking coke! The
other has asthma so, like you, should know what she is talking about. Also,
Mum developed asthma in her 50's, but she was a smoker. If it hasn't
cleared up by Christmas, I'll go badger the Doc about it.

--
Kathy

Old 20-11-2012, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Kathy" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote in message

On 2012-11-18 09:25:02 +0000, David Hill

said:

[...]

Kathy ... asthma is a serious illness from which people die!!!

You might like to think about it sooner ...??? Please listen to your
friends!
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 21-11-2012, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:51:27 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

Two friends have recently asked if I have asthma, one when I
was doing nothing more strenuous then sitting in a pub drinking coke!
The other has asthma so, like you, should know what she is talking
about. Also, Mum developed asthma in her 50's, but she was a smoker.
If it hasn't cleared up by Christmas, I'll go badger the Doc about it.

Kathy ... asthma is a serious illness from which people die!!!

You might like to think about it sooner ...??? Please listen to your
friends!

+1

Three courses of (different?) antibiotics and it's not been knocked on
the head what is your GP playing at? I'd have expected a sample of sputum
to have been taken after the first lot failed so they could find out what
was giving you jip and prescribe an antibiotic that it isn't resistant
to. Three lots is bad parctice as far as antibiotics are concerned, it's
just asking for the bacteria to evolve resistance.

One is also assuming that the entire course of antibiotics has been taken
every time and not stopped when you start to feel a bit better. The full
course should enusre there are no surviving bacteria that might be
devloping resistance.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 21-11-2012, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Kathy wrote:
Interesting. Two friends have recently asked if I have asthma, one when I
was doing nothing more strenuous then sitting in a pub drinking coke! The
other has asthma so, like you, should know what she is talking about. Also,
Mum developed asthma in her 50's, but she was a smoker. If it hasn't
cleared up by Christmas, I'll go badger the Doc about it.

I am in no way saying don't see a doctor - go get checked out as soon as
you can. But in the meantime, you may like to consider some gentle kind
of yoga - I do a weekly Hatha Yoga class, which I didn't expect to do
much for me, but I've found amongst other things that it seems to have
improved my general breathing. (And you can get lots of different classes
aimed at different levels, or Hatha is more aimed at all but advanced
level with variations on moves)

Old 21-11-2012, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:51:27 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

Two friends have recently asked if I have asthma, one when I
was doing nothing more strenuous then sitting in a pub drinking coke!
The other has asthma so, like you, should know what she is talking
about. Also, Mum developed asthma in her 50's, but she was a smoker.
If it hasn't cleared up by Christmas, I'll go badger the Doc about it.

Kathy ... asthma is a serious illness from which people die!!!

You might like to think about it sooner ...??? Please listen to your
friends!

+1

Three courses of (different?) antibiotics and it's not been knocked on
the head what is your GP playing at?

Yes three different lots. To be fair, there was a month between the first
lot and the next two. Unfortunatly our practice is so busy that I saw three
different doctors :-{

I'd have expected a sample of sputum
to have been taken after the first lot failed so they could find out what
was giving you jip and prescribe an antibiotic that it isn't resistant
to. Three lots is bad parctice as far as antibiotics are concerned, it's
just asking for the bacteria to evolve resistance.

One is also assuming that the entire course of antibiotics has been taken
every time and not stopped when you start to feel a bit better. The full
course should enusre there are no surviving bacteria that might be
devloping resistance.

Yes, all three courses finished, even the last lot which looked, and tasted,
like something your average horse would have thought twice about swallowing.

--
Kathy

Old 22-11-2012, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It absolutely tipped it down at dinnertime here with howling winds. All
the leaves have been blown off trees indeed at the time it seemed like
as snowstorm there were so many leaves blowing!! Really scary for some
of the pedestrians !! Seemed to come out of the blue (or should one say
grey)

Huge lakes of water tonight as fields drain off onto the country roads.
Lots of branches and twigs down and a very large bough had come down on
a steep side road nearby. All men drivers driving round it but I got out
of car and pulled it onto the pavement (the bough, not the car!) got
angrily tooted at by two taxi drivers!

Felt superior that i had done my social bit
--
Janet Tweedy