Old 13-12-2012, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT wireless question

I have a problem with wireless devices in the house due to extremely thick
stone walls, knowing this I laid a cable through to the kitchen when doing
work on that recently to give us broadband access in there and that works
fine if we use an Ethernet cable to connect.

Question; is there anything I can plug into that Ethernet switch box which
would give me a wireless signal at that end?

I can't use the gizmos that plug in at either end and use the house wiring
as the kitchen has a differrent circuit and indeed fuse box to the rest of
the house.

I know there would be dedicated groups out there but I have learnt to trust
some of the posters here (and I may not understand the answer on a more
techy site!)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 13-12-2012, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
I have a problem with wireless devices in the house due to extremely thick
stone walls, knowing this I laid a cable through to the kitchen when doing
work on that recently to give us broadband access in there and that works
fine if we use an Ethernet cable to connect.

Question; is there anything I can plug into that Ethernet switch box which
would give me a wireless signal at that end?

I can't use the gizmos that plug in at either end and use the house wiring
as the kitchen has a differrent circuit and indeed fuse box to the rest of
the house.

I know there would be dedicated groups out there but I have learnt to trust
some of the posters here (and I may not understand the answer on a more
techy site!)

Yeah. You need people who are bilingual in Geekish and English.

Yes, easily, but it's not just a plug-in, and will need power
(a little) and somewhere to be hung or stood. You need a wireless
router (also called modem, access point and more). It wouldn't
take me long to do, though I am not a networking person, but I
would advise getting someone to work out what to do and set it up.

It's likely to be a bit beyond most local suppliers, so the easiest
way would be to try and contact the networking people at some
local organisation (e.g. university, some of the largest schools)
and pay them for a little outside work.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-12-2012, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
[...]

Might be a different fuse box, but if they are on the same phase then it
should work.

If you don't have 3 phase supply into the house for your use, then I don't
think you will have a problem

Mike

Old 13-12-2012, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
'Mike' wrote:
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

I have a problem with wireless devices in the house due to extremely thick
stone walls, knowing this I laid a cable through to the kitchen when doing
work on that recently to give us broadband access in there and that works
fine if we use an Ethernet cable to connect.

I can't use the gizmos that plug in at either end and use the house wiring
as the kitchen has a differrent circuit and indeed fuse box to the rest of
the house.

Might be a different fuse box, but if they are on the same phase then it
should work.

If you don't have 3 phase supply into the house for your use, then I don't
think you will have a problem

"Should" is a bit strong - "might" is better. It will depend on
the electrical properties of the house supply and wiring. While
it would certainly work with appropriate devices, those gizmos
are engineered for the typical house. This sounds like atypical
supply arrangements.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-12-2012, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

:-)

Certainly will!!

One of the Village Halls I give talks in, has two 13 amp sockets side by
side with a notice above. "Danger 415 Volts"

Two Phases side by side!!

Mike

Old 13-12-2012, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/13/2012 10:36 AM, wrote:
In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

Exactly right. I have solved the exact same problem using this device

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000...ms_ohs_product

I am also not a networking person but the directions were adequate for
me (YMMV). We now have wireless access throughout the house.

It's likely to be a bit beyond most local suppliers, so the easiest
way would be to try and contact the networking people at some
local organisation (e.g. university, some of the largest schools)
and pay them for a little outside work.

It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes for someone who knows what
they're about.

HTH

Old 13-12-2012, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:

It's likely to be a bit beyond most local suppliers, so the easiest
way would be to try and contact the networking people at some
local organisation (e.g. university, some of the largest schools)
and pay them for a little outside work.

It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes for someone who knows what
they're about.

That will depend on how the house connection has been set up by
the broadband provider and/or primary modem, which is why I was
being a bit cautious. In particular, if you want to use TWO
devices using the same wireless point, things are likely to get
'interesting'. While I could almost certainly do that eventually,
it might cause me quite a lot of trouble.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-12-2012, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

I have a problem with wireless devices in the house due to extremely
thick stone walls, knowing this I laid a cable through to the kitchen
when doing work on that recently to give us broadband access in there
and that works fine if we use an Ethernet cable to connect.

Question; is there anything I can plug into that Ethernet switch box
which would give me a wireless signal at that end?

I can't use the gizmos that plug in at either end and use the house
wiring as the kitchen has a differrent circuit and indeed fuse box to
the rest of the house.

I know there would be dedicated groups out there but I have learnt to
trust some of the posters here (and I may not understand the answer on
a more techy site!)

Do you have a wireless router installed? If not I think you need one. A
godsend. Tricky to set up with passwords so nobody in your street can
access your connection. A local computer shop will reccommend a local tech
to do it for you. Probably cost £30-40.

Baz
Old 13-12-2012, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Charlie. I remember your thick walls!

Just to be clear, I understand from what you are saying that you have a
router in your office and have run a cable from one of its wired ports
into the kitchen.

If that's correct then all you need to do is get a second wireless router,
sited in the office and feed it with the extension cable. You will need a
power supply but I'm sure you can arrange that in the kitchen. You can run
it on the same channel as the main one or use a different channel - there
are props and cons for each.

It's possible to avoid the power supply altogether by using a POE (power
over ethernet) router but this might not be compatible with the existing
one.

RG

Old 13-12-2012, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 12/13/2012 10:36 AM, wrote:
In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

I have had a look at the picture but can't see the back of that router, can
I use my existing Ethernet line to supple the signal? my existing main
router has a different plug on the end of the "line in" connection. and its
only the outputs which are Ethernet connections

What I was sort of hoping was I could replace the Ethernet switch with its 5
ports with a wireless router which also has some ports.

Mike, I take your point that the two fuse boxes do come off the same mains
fuse but I had already run the Ethernet cable before I came across the plug
in solution and without testing not sure how well it would cope. I know
Ethernet works, but its not as slick a solution as wireless

Old 13-12-2012, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Correction!

'
If that's correct then all you need to do is get a second wireless router,
sited in the KITCHEN and feed it with the extension cable.
'
'
Old 13-12-2012, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/13/2012 12:29 PM, Charlie Pridham wrote:
I have had a look at the picture but can't see the back of that router,
can I use my existing Ethernet line to supple the signal? my existing
main router has a different plug on the end of the "line in" connection.
and its only the outputs which are Ethernet connections

Yes, I plug a regular RJ45 (ethernet plug) into it. So it's just a jack
cable from your wall outlet.

What I was sort of hoping was I could replace the Ethernet switch with
its 5 ports with a wireless router which also has some ports.

I'm pretty sure there are another 4 ports (i.e. built in switch) but I'm
not local to look at it at the mo.

I don't know if this is the best one for you, I think there are a lot of
them along these lines.
Old 13-12-2012, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

RG wrote in newsp.wo858ylfgkcl5l@home1:

Correction!

'
If that's correct then all you need to do is get a second wireless
router, sited in the KITCHEN and feed it with the extension cable.
'
'

That will work. Not exactly wireless.

Baz
Old 13-12-2012, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:21:26 -0000, wrote:

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:

It's likely to be a bit beyond most local suppliers, so the easiest
way would be to try and contact the networking people at some
local organisation (e.g. university, some of the largest schools)
and pay them for a little outside work.

It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes for someone who knows what
they're about.

That will depend on how the house connection has been set up by
the broadband provider and/or primary modem, which is why I was
being a bit cautious. In particular, if you want to use TWO
devices using the same wireless point, things are likely to get
'interesting'. While I could almost certainly do that eventually,
it might cause me quite a lot of trouble.

Depends what you mean by 'two devices'

If you mean two PCs, phones etc using the same wireless point (router
channel), then no problem at all. They will share the available bandwidth.
In this house we have two PC's, two phones and an pad all sharing a WAP.

Pre-paid wireless Nosmo King North Carolina 2 15-02-2006 10:10 PM
Wireless Thermometer wendy7 Orchids 22 17-12-2004 10:27 AM
Wireless Thermometer wendy7 Orchids 0 16-12-2004 12:50 AM
Wireless water tank level sensor Waterboy Australia 0 21-11-2003 03:03 AM
OT ATT wireless credit KenCo Ponds 0 10-09-2003 02:51 AM