Old 17-12-2012, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery plant ident.

A couple of weeks ago we were trying to identify a couple of plants,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...chinaplant.jpg
is a picture of the one I have.
I had this reply from the RHS today, and it looks as if they have
cracked it.

Dear Mr Hill,

Thank you for your enquiry to the Royal Horticultural Society's Members’
Advisory Service.

Our Botanist James Armitage says the photographs you sent for
identification all appear to be Reineckea carnea,

I hope this information is helpful.

This is a link to more info about the plants.
http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_d911.html

David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay.
Old 17-12-2012, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 13:56:43 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

A couple of weeks ago we were trying to identify a couple of plants,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...chinaplant.jpg
is a picture of the one I have.
I had this reply from the RHS today, and it looks as if they have
cracked it.

Dear Mr Hill,

Thank you for your enquiry to the Royal Horticultural Society's Members’
Advisory Service.

Our Botanist James Armitage says the photographs you sent for
identification all appear to be Reineckea carnea,

I hope this information is helpful.

This is a link to more info about the plants.
http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_d911.html

David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay.

It looks like I have one the varieties with small bunches of blue
flowers. It's only flowered once. I'll plant it out later in the
coming year.

Steve

Old 17-12-2012, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Hill
writes
A couple of weeks ago we were trying to identify a couple of plants,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...amedchinaplant.
jpg
is a picture of the one I have.
I had this reply from the RHS today, and it looks as if they have
cracked it.

Dear Mr Hill,

Thank you for your enquiry to the Royal Horticultural Society's
Members’ Advisory Service.

Our Botanist James Armitage says the photographs you sent for
identification all appear to be Reineckea carnea,

I hope this information is helpful.

This is a link to more info about the plants.
http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_d911.html

David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay.

It turns out that this is a species which is naturalised near to The
Lizard. It's related to plants like Aspidistra and Convallaria (and more
closely to obscurer genera - Campylandra, Rohdea and Tupistra).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 17-12-2012, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/12/2012 13:56, David Hill wrote:
A couple of weeks ago we were trying to identify a couple of plants,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...chinaplant.jpg
is a picture of the one I have.
I had this reply from the RHS today, and it looks as if they have
cracked it.

Dear Mr Hill,

Thank you for your enquiry to the Royal Horticultural Society's Members’
Advisory Service.

Our Botanist James Armitage says the photographs you sent for
identification all appear to be Reineckea carnea,

I hope this information is helpful.

This is a link to more info about the plants.
http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_d911.html

David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay.

See my original reply of 01/12/12 18:32:03:

"Agreed - we need some info as to the possible source country. It looks
as though it could be South African (eg Lachenalia), although they don't
tend to flower down to ground level. I also wondered about it being a
Reineckia, but the leaves don't seem right."

I'm still not convinced it's a Reineckea.

--

Jeff
Old 17-12-2012, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote...

[...]

Take a look at the photos on this link...
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.as...n_id=220011445

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-12-2012, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

identification all appear to be http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_d911.html ,

I hope this information is helpful.

This is a link to more info about the plants.
http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_d911.html

David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay.

See my original reply of 01/12/12 18:32:03:

"Agreed - we need some info as to the possible source country.

Dense forests, shady and moist slopes, hillsides along valleys;
100--3200 m. Anhui, Guangdong, Guangxi, Guizhou, Henan, Hubei, Hunan,
Jiangsu, Jiangxi, Shaanxi, Sichuan, Yunnan, Zhejiang [Japan].
Old 17-12-2012, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/12/2012 17:43, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Jeff Layman" wrote...

[...]

OK. It's just that I always thought that the veins were more prominent
(see the illustration on your link rather than the photos). Also, maybe
the original photo was of var rubra?

Funnily enough I first thought of Reineckea because I grew it 25 years
ago. Damn thing never flowered, though. Probably wasn't damp or shady
enough.

--

Jeff