Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Recommendations for seed potatoes?

"Martin" wrote
wrote:

Janet

wrote:
I grow Estima most years; it's so reliable and very tasty.

We've grown Estima in the past but I can't remember anything about them,
so I'm guessing they didn't make a huge impression.

They made a good impression on us. Try again.

Could be the difference in soil that causes the difference. For example, we
can't grow King Edwards because they don't like heavy soil and we only got
golf balls when we tried.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Spider wrote:
We did Charlottes for the first time this year, and didn't get time to
dig them up before the weather turned, so we dug them when the weather
went warm again in December. They were /huge/ (for Charlottes). And
very very tasty. I may have to try growing them as maincrop instead of
salad potatoes again.

Oooh! Now that *is* interesting, Vicky. I'll have to buy some for a
taste test (in the knowledge that home grown should be better), and
nudge them up my list. How did they cook for you as large potatoes;
what cooking methods did you try?

Hmm, now you're asking. I suspect I probably aimed at making boiled potato
but ended up making mash, as that is what always* happens. I may have
micro-baked one or two for Daniel, and I /may/ have tried roasting some,
but my roast potatoes are always rubbish, regardless of what potatoes I
use.

They tasted nice, though.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/01/2013 21:49, wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Sounds, er, interesting! Glad they tasted nice, anyway!! :~))

Sometimes I make something that is neither fully boiled nor fully
roasted. I start them off in the microwave for 5 mins or so, then drain
them and toss them in with the roast juices and finish them off with the
roast. They don't crisp up, but do brown and also absorb some of the
yummy roast flavours. Usually very nice. If you try it, wait until the
roast has stopped oozing blood, otherwise they'll not be so nice :-/

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/01/2013 09:13, Martin wrote:
We did Charlottes for the first time this year, and didn't get time to
dig them up before the weather turned, so we dug them when the weather
went warm again in December. They were/huge/ (for Charlottes). And
very very tasty. I may have to try growing them as maincrop instead of
salad potatoes again.

-- Martin

That's what i did Martin and I rather liked them !
janet T
Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky is a vegetarian.

oh dear ................
Janet T

Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Spider wrote:
Sometimes I make something that is neither fully boiled nor fully
roasted. I start them off in the microwave for 5 mins or so, then drain
them and toss them in with the roast juices and finish them off with the
roast. They don't crisp up, but do brown and also absorb some of the
yummy roast flavours. Usually very nice. If you try it, wait until the
roast has stopped oozing blood, otherwise they'll not be so nice :-/

Quorn roast rarely bleeds. :-P

Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Vicky is a vegetarian.

oh dear ................

!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 11:11:30 +0100, Martin wrote:

On 4 Jan 2013 23:32:34 GMT, wrote:

roast. They don't crisp up, but do brown and also absorb some of the
yummy roast flavours. Usually very nice. If you try it, wait until the
roast has stopped oozing blood, otherwise they'll not be so nice :-/

Quorn roast rarely bleeds. :-P

Who wants bleeding quorn? :-P

My FIL is vegetarian and eats that . Until I met him I had never
really checked to see what it was. Considering that many veggies do
actually belong to the stereotypes that aren't always at ease with the
developed world with it's roads ,pollution from power plants,chucking
bits of oil rig into the ocean etc etc then I give full marks to the
Industrial capitalists of ICI and Rank Hovis, who managed to sell a
foodstuff produced like a chemical and carefully nurtured the idea
that it was really produced from mushrooms.

G.Harman
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/2013 10:08, Martin wrote:
I didn't write any of the above except -- Martin

That was clever then

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/01/2013 23:33, wrote:
Janet Tweedy wrote:
Vicky is a vegetarian.

oh dear ................

!

In haste I have to say some of my best friends lean towards steering
clear of eating food that once had a face .............
but without bacon sandwiches the world is a poorer thing

--
Janet T.
Amersham

Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/01/2013 23:32, wrote:
Quorn roast rarely bleeds.

neither does omlette

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/2013 10:11, Martin wrote:
Who wants bleeding quorn?:-P

)))))))))

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/2013 11:05, wrote:
carefully nurtured the idea
that it was really produced from mushrooms.

G.Harman

Doesn't mescalin come from them as well? and you can get some quite
poisonous mushrooms ............

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/01/2013 22:49, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 22:41:20 +0000, wrote:

On 04/01/2013 21:49, wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Ah! That changes things slightly. It probably wouldn't work so well
with a nut roast or similar.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

Seed variety recommendations Kathy Edible Gardening 3 17-01-2006 10:45 PM
Seed potatoes Ron United Kingdom 13 25-02-2003 05:42 AM
Fancy seed potatoes (Cambridge) Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 1 30-01-2003 12:27 PM
Seed potato recommendations please! Chris United Kingdom 20 28-01-2003 07:41 PM
Seed sellers- Southwestern Ontario - recommendations? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 24-01-2003 10:14 AM