Old 18-02-2013, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT TV sound

"The Original Jake" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:58:26 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

David @ the drought stricken end of Swansea Bay where we have now been
without rain for almost 2 days.

Three at this end. The standing water on top of the ground is now
looking positively parched!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Gorgeous in the Swansea Valley.

Bill

Old 18-02-2013, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-14 18:45:33 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
I was both heartened and disheartened this morning when Ray read a piece
out of the DT to me. Apparently, it is officially acknowledged (not just
us moaning to each other!) that while they look great and the vision's
wonderful, flat-screen tvs produce really terrible sound. A lot of
people have resorted to buying a soundbar to improve the clarity. I'm
relieved it's not just us, to be honest. Watching Call The Midwife the
other night, we lost several seconds of dialogue because of the blasted
music and the blurred dialogue. So it's not just the deaf and ageing!
Eh?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Uh! you've think you've got problems? I have a cataract on one eye and
I'm paying for Sky+HD !!

Bill

Oh dear! Can the cataract be dealt with? Friends of ours have had them
done and were astonished at the success. I hope something can be done
about yours, too. We have the minimal Sky account. But when someone makes
a tv that cuts out music soundtrack during speech, I hope someone will
tell us!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I have been assessed, and am now on a waiting list for the op.

Bill

Here in Wales we have much longer waiting lists than you do in England,
it's the way our health service works (Slow), but even so it's much
better than in the old days when the consultants would wait for the
Cataract to "Ripen".
They only operated on mature cataracts and you could be waiting 6 years
or more for your turn, then it was 5 to 7 days in hospital.
There was a time, not so long ago when you could go on line and see the
waiting times for individual consultants at every hospital in Wales, now
with the improved web sites and improved services you can no longer do that.
David at the Drought ridden end of Swansea Bay, 4 days without rain, and
the water holes are drying up, though still some footprints out the
field are half full of water.
Old 19-02-2013, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Dave Hill wrote:

Here in Wales we have much longer waiting lists than you do in England,
it's the way our health service works (Slow), but even so it's much
better than in the old days when the consultants would wait for the
Cataract to "Ripen".

I went to see my doctor in late August, was referred and got an appointment with the opthalmic clinic a week later and had the first op 10 days after that. I was a bit annoyed that I had to wait so long to have the second eye done. Seems as though I was being somewhat impatient :-|
Old 19-02-2013, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-18 18:28:41 +0000, said:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

I read the Daily Mail every day, salt cellar in hand. And I know quite
a few others here do, too. I also read the Daily Telegraph, the Mid
Devon Advertiser, the Totnes Times, Country Life and The Lady
(unexpectedly excellent magazine now, for those who haven't seen it in
years) The Oldie and if totally desperate Aircraft. It's a big
Shavian-style mistake to judge people on the papers they read. I'm
sure you and others, have been open to manipulation in your time. Most
of us have, even if we didn't recognise it as such when it was
happening.

I was judging the paper, and a regrettable number of its readers,
not all of its readers!

The Lady used to be far better than it was given credit for, and
some really quite good writers used to publish occasional articles
in it. Country Life is a bit tedious, but quite often has one or
two interesting articles.

What amuses me is the number of people who inveigh against the DM but
who must, surely, read it to be so confident in their opinions? ;-)

It's available in the waiting room where I go for my blood pressure
trial appointments. Usual experience is several gross and obvious
falsehoods, invented to support its bigotry, but nothing either
interesting or informative. Then I either give up or get called in.

Now, if they still had Flook :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hmmm, don't remember Flook, I'll have to look that one up. The Lady
really is good now and again, it has some good writers contributing
interesting articles. Rachel Johnson's stint as Editor (she's now
Editor in Chief) gave it the shot in the arm it needed. And from a
female's pov, it's refreshing to be able to read a mag that doesn't
constantly tell us how to look younger, thinner, sexier etc., or
anything else designed to undermine our self-esteem! Let's just say I
know a couple of men who enjoy reading it now, too. I really don't
know why we take Country Life, if I'm to be honest. We enjoy the
articles, though most of the content is advertising. Now that Carla
Carlisle no long writes for them, the best bit for me is the Tottering
By Gently cartoons. And may I gently suggest that reading the DM just
before having a blood pressure test might be something you'd like to
reconsider. ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-02-2013, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-18 18:28:41 +0000, said:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

[...]

Hmmm, don't remember Flook, I'll have to look that one up. Sacha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flook_%28comic_strip%29

Remember it well and I remember it's arrival ;-)

Mike

Old 19-02-2013, 10:10 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Poole View Post
Dave Hill wrote:

Here in Wales we have much longer waiting lists than you do in England,
it's the way our health service works (Slow), but even so it's much
better than in the old days when the consultants would wait for the
Cataract to "Ripen".

I went to see my doctor in late August, was referred and got an appointment with the opthalmic clinic a week later and had the first op 10 days after that. I was a bit annoyed that I had to wait so long to have the second eye done. Seems as though I was being somewhat impatient :-|
I think you were lucky! There's been a lot in the press about cataract operations being regarded as elective surgery and therefore being postponed or stopped altogether; also reports that you can only get one once the second eye is affected and then only on one eye. I only know one person with cataracts, and she's been waiting over a year. It's prevented her from driving after dark, which has made her life difficult - even in a city, reliance on public transport limits mobility.
__________________
Old 19-02-2013, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-14 21:18:17 +0000, Christina Websell said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Dunno. I still have a fat one and it's perfect ;-)

Tina

We'd still have ours if it hadn't developed a broad green streak down one
side which made stage left actors look as if they came from Mars. It was
getting on for 20 years old, so it had done pretty well.

We bought a wide 'flattie' from Morrisons 2 years ago, the picture quality
is great, but the sound is crap.
We use headphones on a long extension lead - fortunately we view at
different times.

Whilst in OT mode Sacha, this is interesting - (from elsewhere):-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20975646
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40174

Old 19-02-2013, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-14 21:18:17 +0000, Christina Websell said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Dunno. I still have a fat one and it's perfect ;-)

Tina

We'd still have ours if it hadn't developed a broad green streak down
one side which made stage left actors look as if they came from Mars.
It was getting on for 20 years old, so it had done pretty well.

We bought a wide 'flattie' from Morrisons 2 years ago, the picture
quality is great, but the sound is crap.
We use headphones on a long extension lead - fortunately we view at
different times.

Whilst in OT mode Sacha, this is interesting - (from elsewhere):-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20975646
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40174

Thanks, Bertie! I've signed it, too. Poor soul that made the spelling
error but it won't affect the outcome, I hope!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-02-2013, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-18 18:28:41 +0000, said:

snip

Now, if they still had Flook :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hmmm, don't remember Flook, I'll have to look that one up.

Wiki
"Storylines were written by the singer and writer George Melly, the
comedian Barry Took, the musician Humphrey Lyttelton and the film
critic Barry Norman. In 1953 some were written by Compton
Mackenzie.[2] Several book-length episodes and compilations were
separately published, and the Daily Mail also marketed a Flook toy.
The ironic and bohemian ethos of the strip was curiously at variance
with the stuffy conservatism of the Daily Mail,[1] which finally shut
the strip down, after 10,000 episodes, because the editor, David
English, could not stomach its repeated jabs at the then Prime
Minister, Margaret Thatcher,[3] (though she is said to have enjoyed
it) and the strip's covert criticism of the Mail 's championing of the
cause of Zola Budd.[2] After this Flook ran for a while at the
opposite end of the British press's political spectrum, since the
Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror (diametrically opposed to the Mail's
right wing stance) snapped it up and ran the strip on their cartoon
pages for a few years.
Flook was also adopted as a mascot by 831 Squadron, Fleet Air Arm, and
the character was painted on the squadron aircraft."

There's a full length example here
http://animationresources.org/?p=822

[...]

All those women flaunting their bodies might be just the thing to look
at before a stress ECG. Oh my dicky ticker!

The DM has the best news photos and usuallly is the first with
breaking news. News stories have a lot in common with those in the
Daily Telegraph. Sometimes thé only difference is the font size.

Don't you read GW and The Garden too, Sacha?

I think I was probably a bit young for newspapers in 1953. I read The
Garden but not GW. That'll surprise you! ;-) Ray reads the trade mags
and sometimes I glance at them but I can't say I study them that
carefully! Just about my ex-husband's greatest moment was briefly
playing with the Humphrey Lyttleton band when both played at a charity
ball in Jersey. He was on Cloud 9, even if a little restricted by his
evening wear!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-02-2013, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-19 11:01:53 +0000, Bertie Doe said:

Whilst in OT mode Sacha, this is interesting - (from elsewhere):-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20975646
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40174

Thanks, Bertie! I've signed it, too. Poor soul that made the spelling
error but it won't affect the outcome, I hope!

Lots of support from fans of Kris Kristofferson, Ali MacGraw in
Convoy.

Let me guess, you must be the village idiot?

Old 19-02-2013, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-19 11:01:53 +0000, Bertie Doe said:

Whilst in OT mode Sacha, this is interesting - (from elsewhere):-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20975646
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40174

Thanks, Bertie! I've signed it, too. Poor soul that made the spelling
error but it won't affect the outcome, I hope!

:-) ....... thanks Sasha.

Old 19-02-2013, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

Whilst in OT mode Sacha, this is interesting - (from elsewhere):-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20975646
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40174

Thanks for reposting the link Bertie
--
Pete C
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/weather/

Old 19-02-2013, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

Whilst in OT mode Sacha, this is interesting - (from elsewhere):-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20975646
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40174

Thanks for reposting the link Bertie

I don't know how many sigs are needed. According to Google, only about 6
newsgroups are mentioning it - which is a shame.

Old 19-02-2013, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-18 18:28:41 +0000, said:

snip

[...]

but not in 1983?

Probably didn't make it across that small stretch of water! Or I was
too busy for such frivols.

I read The
Garden but not GW. That'll surprise you! ;-)

I guessed when you asked about the French Gardens. Call it male
intuition.

Ray reads the trade mags
and sometimes I glance at them but I can't say I study them that
carefully! Just about my ex-husband's greatest moment was briefly
playing with the Humphrey Lyttleton band when both played at a charity
ball in Jersey. He was on Cloud 9, even if a little restricted by his
evening wear!

Did Ray play the trombone or the drums?

EX husband who was not Ray! My ex played classical guitar but also
'popular' music for fun and was very good. He died some time ago.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-02-2013, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-19 20:25:27 +0000, Bertie Doe said:

"Pete C" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

Whilst in OT mode Sacha, this is interesting - (from elsewhere):-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20975646
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40174

Thanks for reposting the link Bertie

I don't know how many sigs are needed. According to Google, only about
6 newsgroups are mentioning it - which is a shame.

Worth Tweeting it and asking for RTs, too.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com