Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I don't believe it

At around 5.45am this morning I had a very rude awakening, I was sound
asleep but I must have felt something on my face, I brushed it off only
to have it sting me.
After a hunt of around 5 mins I found the bugger and killed it, it
turned out to be a Queen Wasp.it certainly woke me.
Not the way to have my Wasp desensitization put to the test. It's close
to 6 years since I was last stung and getting on for 20 years since I
had the course, this is only my 4th sting since the treatment.
Now 4 hours on my cheek is throbbing but no great reaction, so the
treatment is still working.
I must say I've never seen a wasp this late in the year let alone been
stung by one in December.
David @ a still frost free and dry side of Swansea bay
Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/12/2013 08:50, David Hill wrote:
At around 5.45am this morning I had a very rude awakening, I was sound
asleep but I must have felt something on my face, I brushed it off only
to have it sting me.
After a hunt of around 5 mins I found the bugger and killed it, it
turned out to be a Queen Wasp.it certainly woke me.
Not the way to have my Wasp desensitization put to the test. It's close
to 6 years since I was last stung and getting on for 20 years since I
had the course, this is only my 4th sting since the treatment.
Now 4 hours on my cheek is throbbing but no great reaction, so the
treatment is still working.
I must say I've never seen a wasp this late in the year let alone been
stung by one in December.
David @ a still frost free and dry side of Swansea bay

Funny you should mention that.

I was having lunch yesterday with some old work colleagues in a pub in
mid-Hampshire (between Alresford and Alton). We were disturbed by a
large wasp, which I thought might be a queen, flying around the inside
of the window we were sitting it. It flew around the pub a bit, then
back to the window, then we lost sight of it.

I also don't remember a wasp flying so late in the year.

Good to see your desensitisation worked!

--

Jeff
Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 08:50:54 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

I must say I've never seen a wasp this late in the year let alone been
stung by one in December.

There was a queen wasp in my bathroom yesterday. I sprayed it with a
little water so I could catch it and then put it out of the window.

Steve

Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

At around 5.45am this morning I had a very rude awakening, I was sound
asleep but I must have felt something on my face, I brushed it off only
to have it sting me.
After a hunt of around 5 mins I found the bugger and killed it, it
turned out to be a Queen Wasp.it certainly woke me.
Not the way to have my Wasp desensitization put to the test. It's close
to 6 years since I was last stung and getting on for 20 years since I
had the course, this is only my 4th sting since the treatment.
Now 4 hours on my cheek is throbbing but no great reaction, so the
treatment is still working.
I must say I've never seen a wasp this late in the year let alone been
stung by one in December.
David @ a still frost free and dry side of Swansea bay

I think someone had posted a warning for beekeepers on the beekeeping
forum this week that they still had wasps about.

Ouch though!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 01-12-2013, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-01 08:50:54 +0000, David Hill said:

At around 5.45am this morning I had a very rude awakening, I was sound
asleep but I must have felt something on my face, I brushed it off only
to have it sting me.
After a hunt of around 5 mins I found the bugger and killed it, it
turned out to be a Queen Wasp.it certainly woke me.
Not the way to have my Wasp desensitization put to the test. It's close
to 6 years since I was last stung and getting on for 20 years since I
had the course, this is only my 4th sting since the treatment.
Now 4 hours on my cheek is throbbing but no great reaction, so the
treatment is still working.
I must say I've never seen a wasp this late in the year let alone been
stung by one in December.
David @ a still frost free and dry side of Swansea bay

Ouch, how nasty! Glad the treatment's worked though. We had a wasp
flying around the bathroom the other day and one was trying to get in
the window of my study. Makes me wonder if they intended to head for
the attic!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-01 08:50:54 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

Why? What's in the attic?

Steve

Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-01 08:50:54 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

A warm (ish) dark nesting place?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I saw one buzzing around the garage on Friday. Did not
look big enough to be a queen. Tried to make sure it
was a wasp, not some form of bee, but it would not
stop flitting around. I left it in peace, and went in
for lunch!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

---

Old 01-12-2013, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/12/2013 16:01, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I saw one buzzing around the garage on Friday. Did not
look big enough to be a queen. Tried to make sure it
was a wasp, not some form of bee, but it would not
stop flitting around. I left it in peace, and went in
for lunch!

Glad to say no ill effects from the sting.
But what a crazy start to December, had some form of butterfly heading
South 50ft up and going quite fast. then a small cloud of gnats this
afternoon as well as 2 bumble bees looking for a late snack.
David @ a overcast side of Swansea Bay.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-01 08:50:54 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

If it is anything like ours, a mountain of storage boxes. I was
fitting some remote control lighting kit in ours last week and a large
wasp was very inquisitive for a while, which reminded me that when we
moved in we found one of their wonderfully constructed 'paper' nests
attached to a rafter.
--
rbel

Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I must say I've never seen a wasp this late in the year let alone been
stung by one in December.

There was a queen wasp in my bathroom yesterday. I sprayed it with a
little water so I could catch it and then put it out of the window.

I was sitting in front of the wood burning stove on Saturday when out of
the blue, a loud buzzing started and a huge wasp flew across the room.

I presume it had been 'hibernating' but was brought in the house with
the wood. As soon as it warmed up it was presumably full of the joys of
spring and got out of the wood basket just in time to avoid a more
serious warming.

I didn't want to share the house with it so 'encouraged' it out of the
door - don't know if that was too much of a shock before it found a new
spot.

I've been stung in the woodpile (well, actually on the hand) before now
- a popular winter place for mama wasp, it seems.

--
regards
andy

Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-12-01 08:50:54 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

Our attic runs across part of the house to the hall ceiling, or so I
gather and then it stops. I say, "I gather" because I've never been up
in the attic and have no intention of going. Spidery, dark, cold and
hard to stand up in!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 17:52:01 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

On 01/12/2013 16:01, Roger Tonkin wrote:
I saw one buzzing around the garage on Friday. Did not
look big enough to be a queen. Tried to make sure it
was a wasp, not some form of bee, but it would not
stop flitting around. I left it in peace, and went in
for lunch!

Glad to say no ill effects from the sting.
But what a crazy start to December, had some form of butterfly heading
South 50ft up and going quite fast. then a small cloud of gnats this
afternoon as well as 2 bumble bees looking for a late snack.
David @ a overcast side of Swansea Bay.

My turn! Tonight I was watching TV when I felt something touch my
head. I brushed it off and it fell onto my arm. It was a green shield
bug. I carefully palmed it and opened the door and threw it out.
I had to look it up on Google: I know lace wings emit a stink if
threatened or killed but didn't know shield bugs do too. It wasn't
really unpleasant but strange. The smell lingered, until I found
another/ the same bug on my arm. This time I really made sure I threw
it out! I'd been doing some serious cutting back in the garden filling
3 of our Council's huge paper sacks for compost. They cost £2.25 each.
If I could drive I could take it all to the Tip!

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
I must say I've never seen a wasp this late in the year let alone been stung by one in December.
My father has a holiday cottage in Somerset which is prone to getting wasps nests in the loft. About 3 years ago I went up into the loft to remove several years worth of old wasps' nests, this between Christmas and New Year, and there were still some wasps flying around up there. I had to be fairly careful how I did it.