Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
M Babcock

Default Newbie: Just received an allotment garden

Hi folks, I've enjoyed reading your posts for awhile, while I've been on
the waiting list for an allotment here in Devon. I've only just been
able to get one, and to my dismay, not a thing has been done to it since
the end of last summer. I've got a lot of work ahead of me. (apologies
in advance for the long post btw, but I want to make sure I get off on
the right foot)

My current aim is to get the existing beds in shape so I can plant some
vegetables asap. I haven't started any seeds, because I had no idea when
or if I'd get an allotment this year. I don't have any experience
gardening in the UK but judging by what the books and seed packets have
to say, it will be ok if I sow outdoors by the end of May. I'm planting
pretty standard stuff this year: carrots, beets, peas, beans,
courgettes, sweetcorn, lettuce, radishes, spring onions and some herbs.
Also some tomatoes and strawberries, but I'll get plants for those. Am I
being too ambitious, given that it's already early May?

My other question is with regards to bed preparation. The beds are
raised (although the boards have been taken down and need re-affixing)
and full of weeds, plus one of them is full of Jerusalem artichokes
which I don't want to keep (even though I hear they're expensive, and
wonderful, and stuff). My current plan goes something like this, based
on different things I've read and my (admittedly sketchy) understanding
of British growing conditions.

1. Remove weeds (and Jerusalem artichokes)
2. Remove raised soil onto tarpaulin
3. Install newspaper 4-5 inches below top soil level, leaving spaces for
root crop rows (apparently this will help stop any perennial weeds
coming back)
4. Replace soil
5. Fertilise and cover with black plastic
6. Leave for 2 weeks, remove any stubborn weeds, then sow seeds

Does this sound reasonable, or even sensible? Is it overkill? Is it not
enough? I'm used to gardening in a very hot dry (but short) growing
season, where even the weeds have trouble taking hold. I'm looking to
start work this week, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Misty