Old 31-01-2014, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis Fusca Var. Violacea

Charlie, or anyone who knows it, can we grow this here? It's terribly
pretty, imo. If so, do you have it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-02-2014, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote in message
Charlie, or anyone who knows it, can we grow this here? It's terribly
pretty, imo. If so, do you have it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

It needs/likes a continental climate best but will grow in our milder soggy
climate with attention to slug control, grow it with a bare soil area around
(i.e. no ground cover) During winter this Clematis will die back to ground
level, so in early spring (now!) start with liquid slug killer every 2-3
weeks on dry days (ha ha!!) until the shoots are well above ground, after
that it is just like any other Clematis. You may get lucky and find a place
that it comes back on its own but I have found that the slugs eat the
dormant buds below soil level during winter and without help it dies out
sooner or later.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-01 09:35:44 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

"sacha" wrote in message
Charlie, or anyone who knows it, can we grow this here? It's terribly
pretty, imo. If so, do you have it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

It needs/likes a continental climate best but will grow in our milder
soggy climate with attention to slug control, grow it with a bare soil
area around (i.e. no ground cover) During winter this Clematis will die
back to ground level, so in early spring (now!) start with liquid slug
killer every 2-3 weeks on dry days (ha ha!!) until the shoots are well
above ground, after that it is just like any other Clematis. You may
get lucky and find a place that it comes back on its own but I have
found that the slugs eat the dormant buds below soil level during
winter and without help it dies out sooner or later.

Not a great prospect then! I can't find a supplier either, and that may
well be the reason!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-01 09:35:44 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

"sacha" wrote in message
Charlie, or anyone who knows it, can we grow this here? It's terribly
pretty, imo. If so, do you have it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

It needs/likes a continental climate best but will grow in our milder
soggy climate with attention to slug control, grow it with a bare soil
area around (i.e. no ground cover) During winter this Clematis will die
back to ground level, so in early spring (now!) start with liquid slug
killer every 2-3 weeks on dry days (ha ha!!) until the shoots are well
above ground, after that it is just like any other Clematis. You may
get lucky and find a place that it comes back on its own but I have
found that the slugs eat the dormant buds below soil level during
winter and without help it dies out sooner or later.

Tsk! Pressed 'send' too quickly! Thank you, Charlie! Are you and Liz
coming up this way any time soon?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-02-2014, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/02/2014 09:35, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"sacha" wrote in message
Charlie, or anyone who knows it, can we grow this here? It's terribly
pretty, imo. If so, do you have it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

It needs/likes a continental climate best but will grow in our milder
soggy climate with attention to slug control, grow it with a bare soil
area around (i.e. no ground cover) During winter this Clematis will die
back to ground level, so in early spring (now!) start with liquid slug
killer every 2-3 weeks on dry days (ha ha!!) until the shoots are well
above ground, after that it is just like any other Clematis. You may get
lucky and find a place that it comes back on its own but I have found
that the slugs eat the dormant buds below soil level during winter and
without help it dies out sooner or later.

Charlie, have you thought about a light sprinkling of Metaldehyde around
the plants?
This wont break down quickly and is deadly to slugs and snails.
David @ a yet again rain blasted side of Swansea Bay

Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-01 09:35:44 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

"sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Jan Zoost in Boskoop has it in his catalogue
www.http://clematisinfo.nl/Home/4549
http://clematisinfo.nl/Product-Detai.../4712-364-2162

For retail purchases he lists
England

Thorncroft Clematis Nursery***
The Lings
Reymerston (not in the village but on the B1135)
Norfolk, NR9 4QG
website: http://www.thorncroftclematis.co.uk

Thanks, Martin. Thorncroft have C fusca but not the variety,
unfortunately. I'll email them to see if they're bringing it on, or
expecting it in.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote in message
[...]

One of the folk I have got to meet and make a friend of through plants is
Mike Brown, until recently he held the Herbaceous clematis collection, sat
in my kitchen he was trying to persuade me that I should grow what he
considers wonderful plants, I explained that all previous attempts to grow
them had failed, he then told me his regime of slug control, and I thought
there were perhaps less stressful ways of gardening! So you are correct, it
would work well, but will I get around to doing it? I will stick to the
viticella group which seem fairly bomb proof.

Incidentally most of this viorna group are easy to raise from seed but very
difficult from cuttings, although divisions are possible, so they are not
that easy to get hold of.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-01 09:35:44 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

"sacha" wrote in message
[...]

We will try this year but just as I thought we had got Liz's back fixed she
thinks the repair has failed, we await the verdict on Monday.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Charlie,
What I use is Metaldehyde 99% such as you can get from
https://webshop.fishersci.com/insigh... SetPosition=0
I mix a small amount in a runny mix of wallpaper paste which can then be
applied from an old washing up liquid bottle, the paste dilutes into the
soil leaving a very fine layer of the active chemical, a little goes a
long way.
It's a good way to put down a thin barrier round plants or an area.
David @ what is for a time an almost wind free side of Swansea Bay
Old 02-02-2014, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-02-01 09:35:44 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

"sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Oh dear, that's very bad news. I'll email you. My daughter had 2 back
ops in 12 months so I know how anxiety-making this is. I'm very, very
sorry to hear this.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com