Old 22-03-2014, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snow!

There was snow on the higher parts of Exmoor as we drove through this
morning and the temp there was 5C. It's a tropical 9C in South Devon!
Things are noticeably slower in blooming there. But we've just had a
brief hailstorm here.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-03-2014, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

There was snow on the higher parts of Exmoor as we drove through this
morning and the temp there was 5C. It's a tropical 9C in South Devon!
Things are noticeably slower in blooming there. But we've just had a
brief hailstorm here.

I was snowed on in Cambridge - ooh! - at least a millimicron of
precipitation.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-03-2014, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/03/2014 13:11, Sacha wrote:
There was snow on the higher parts of Exmoor as we drove through this
morning and the temp there was 5C. It's a tropical 9C in South Devon!
Things are noticeably slower in blooming there. But we've just had a
brief hailstorm here.

Brrrr. Shiver me timbers! We've not had any snow, but I still can't
get warm. Hope this chilly phase is going to pass soon. I'd just
started being slightly brave and hardening a few plants off (yes,
obviously far too early), and now we're promised frosts. Still, I've
managed to get a few hardier things in the ground, so it was worth while
braving the elements.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 22-03-2014, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
There was snow on the higher parts of Exmoor as we drove through this
morning and the temp there was 5C. It's a tropical 9C in South Devon!
Things are noticeably slower in blooming there. But we've just had a
brief hailstorm here.

Since when has Usenet become Twitter Sacha?

Your post is far off topic that you could almost be classed as a troll - or
perhaps because you have ranted at others making such off-topic post here in
the past, a hypocrite would the term used?

Now a more relevant question would have been:

"There was snow on the higher parts of Exmoor as we drove through this
morning and the temp there was 5C". Now as a theoretical question, could
some of the regulars posting here suggest the various types of veg and
fruit plants that would survive in these conditions long-term - bearing in
mind the vast weather changes we've recently had?

Let It be

Old 22-03-2014, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-22 14:09:55 +0000, Spider said:

On 22/03/2014 13:11, Sacha wrote:
There was snow on the higher parts of Exmoor as we drove through this
morning and the temp there was 5C. It's a tropical 9C in South Devon!
Things are noticeably slower in blooming there. But we've just had a
brief hailstorm here.

Brrrr. Shiver me timbers! We've not had any snow, but I still can't
get warm. Hope this chilly phase is going to pass soon. I'd just
started being slightly brave and hardening a few plants off (yes,
obviously far too early), and now we're promised frosts. Still, I've
managed to get a few hardier things in the ground, so it was worth
while braving the elements.

Nobody could call it much of a snow but it took us by surprise as we
drove along Exmoor towards the Exeter road. There was just a slight
covering, x-th mls as Nick says but a surprise and some blown into the
hedgerows on our road. The hotel we stayed in had a view over the
Bristol Channel and one could see the weather coming in from all
directions, including an enormous and glorious rainbow yesterday. We
had a wonderfully variable time in weather terms.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-03-2014, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:11:34 +0000, Sacha wrote:

There was snow on the higher parts of Exmoor as we drove through this
morning and the temp there was 5C.

Still getting frosts and when I went out at 0730 this morning there
was a good inch of snow on the car/roads. Informed this evening that
in snowed through the morning leading to about 2" by midday.

Snowdrops are coming to an end, daffs? Well last week I said "If it
stays this warm they'll be out in a week", they haven't shown any
change for the last few days as it's been too cold.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-03-2014, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-22 22:46:52 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:11:34 +0000, Sacha wrote:

There was snow on the higher parts of Exmoor as we drove through this
morning and the temp there was 5C.

Still getting frosts and when I went out at 0730 this morning there
was a good inch of snow on the car/roads. Informed this evening that
in snowed through the morning leading to about 2" by midday.

Snowdrops are coming to an end, daffs? Well last week I said "If it
stays this warm they'll be out in a week", they haven't shown any
change for the last few days as it's been too cold.

Snowdrops are all finished here and have been for a while, most daffs
are still going, though some are starting to go over. Daffs seem to
pick up again if they're bowed down with snow. The almond trees are in
blossom here, though what thse icy winds are doing to them, goodness
knows. The wind is due North this morning and feels it!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-03-2014, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-22 22:46:52 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:11:34 +0000, Sacha wrote:

There was snow on the higher parts of Exmoor as we drove through this
morning and the temp there was 5C.

Still getting frosts and when I went out at 0730 this morning there
was a good inch of snow on the car/roads. Informed this evening that
in snowed through the morning leading to about 2" by midday.

Snowdrops are coming to an end, daffs? Well last week I said "If it
stays this warm they'll be out in a week", they haven't shown any
change for the last few days as it's been too cold.

Snowdrops are all finished here and have been for a while, most daffs
are still going, though some are starting to go over. Daffs seem to
pick up again if they're bowed down with snow. The almond trees are in
blossom here, though what thse icy winds are doing to them, goodness
knows. The wind is due North this morning and feels it!

I can vouch for how good they looked, though for some reason I didn't
take a photo of them, but I was impressed with the Chaenomeles on the
side of the house.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps3627dbf1.jpg
Some really great flowers on their camellias
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps6071ac6f.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pse0f794b5.jpg
and some really good spring colour just starting
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps0ffd6f0d.jpg
As always great hospitality from Sacha and Ray despite their being busy.
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay with some showers
Old 23-03-2014, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-22 22:46:52 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

[...]

That's the one Bob Hobden id'd as being probably C Cherub

and some really good spring colour just starting
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps0ffd6f0d.jpg

That's the pretty white Prunus which has never flowered so well. Again,
it's been there a long, long time but might be P. nipponica. And beside
it is the just-opening wedding cake tree which is now much further on.
We planted that when we got married in June 2000 and it's shot up.

As always great hospitality from Sacha and Ray despite their being busy.
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay with some showers

Wonderful photos, as always, David. I think you should have a sideline
in botanical photography! That Chaenomeles (and how Ray and I argue
about pronouncing that!) is we *think* Knaphill Scarlet. But as it's
been there for more than 60 years, we're not certain. It's another that
seems to be getting better with age which makes me nervous in case it's
having a real 'push' before it dies off! We greatly enjoyed seeing you
both and as you remarked you must be the only person who comes to us
with a trolley load of plants!!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-03-2014, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

There was snow on the higher parts of Exmoor as we drove through this
morning and the temp there was 5C. It's a tropical 9C in South Devon!
Things are noticeably slower in blooming there. But we've just had a brief
hailstorm here.

It was a few years ago but I remember getting snowed in at Wheddon Cross up
on Exmoor, the dining room of the Guest House (Exmoor House)overlooked the
crossroads and the only people about were the shepherds with their dogs on
the back of their quad bikes.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-03-2014, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-23 12:07:07 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

There was snow on the higher parts of Exmoor as we drove through this
morning and the temp there was 5C. It's a tropical 9C in South Devon!
Things are noticeably slower in blooming there. But we've just had a
brief hailstorm here.

It was a few years ago but I remember getting snowed in at Wheddon
Cross up on Exmoor, the dining room of the Guest House (Exmoor
House)overlooked the crossroads and the only people about were the
shepherds with their dogs on the back of their quad bikes.

No shepherds but the day before we did see surfers in Lynmouth Bay!
Even in wet suits I think they must be mad!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-03-2014, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-23 12:07:07 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

There was snow on the higher parts of Exmoor as we drove through this
morning and the temp there was 5C. It's a tropical 9C in South Devon!
Things are noticeably slower in blooming there. But we've just had a
brief hailstorm here.

It was a few years ago but I remember getting snowed in at Wheddon
Cross up on Exmoor, the dining room of the Guest House (Exmoor
House)overlooked the crossroads and the only people about were the
shepherds with their dogs on the back of their quad bikes.

No shepherds but the day before we did see surfers in Lynmouth Bay!
Even in wet suits I think they must be mad!

It's an all year round sport.
Kite surfing is banned locally next week, in case a kite surfer attempts to
dive bomb a delegate at the Nuclear Security conference being held in The Hague

Sort of The Lady Loves Milk Tray but not so affectionate? ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-03-2014, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:27:53 +0100, Martin wrote:

We had rumbles of thunder during the night. It is cloudy and 9C ATM

Brief peak above 10C today but with lots of showers of snow pellets
or snow most of the day. Sometimes quite heavy enough to make
everywhere grey but not for long as it melted quite quickly.

Gentle NW wind, temp now -1C.

--
Cheers
Dave.