Old 25-05-2014, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clover in lawns

Having watched with amazement as to how robust clover is on my horrid
clay soil, particularly in dry times, I cleared the moss (powered
verticutter) and merrily scattered lots of clover seeds about (various
whites and a red).

Clover may not be to everyone's taste, but I rather like it in a non
ornamental family lawn on difficult ground. It mows nicely and maintains
a pleasant green cover.

They are starting to emerge nicely.

I read somewhere that to maintain it, I need to let it flower and seed
once in a while as the original plant is not that long lived.

I wondered if there was any truth in that and if so, how often I should
let it seed?

On an aside, regarding the nitrogen fixing abilities - does that benefit
the soil if the plant is allowed to live? All the things about planting
clover in agriculture usually assume it gets ploughed in in the next season.

Cheers

Tim
Old 25-05-2014, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Watts wrote:

On an aside, regarding the nitrogen fixing abilities - does that benefit
the soil if the plant is allowed to live?

IIRC, yes; some of the nitrogen fixing nodules break down to the benefit of
the neighbors. This is one reason clover used to be used in lawn mixes. I
recall reading that clover became flora non grata when companies came up
with weed killers that didn't hurt grass but did kill the clover.
"Kills dandelions, other noxious weeds, and that nasty old clover."

Old 25-05-2014, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/05/14 22:32, Gary Woods wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

On an aside, regarding the nitrogen fixing abilities - does that benefit
the soil if the plant is allowed to live?

IIRC, yes; some of the nitrogen fixing nodules break down to the benefit of
the neighbors. This is one reason clover used to be used in lawn mixes.

Cool - thanks.

recall reading that clover became flora non grata when companies came up
with weed killers that didn't hurt grass but did kill the clover.
"Kills dandelions, other noxious weeds, and that nasty old clover."

I don;t use that type of weedkiller these days - I like the random
daisies and other interesting things that pop up

Old 26-05-2014, 03:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim Watts wrote:

I don;t use that type of weedkiller these days - I like the random
daisies and other interesting things that pop up

I agree- but then, I'm of the "as long as it's sort of green" school of
lawn. All sorts of nice stuff, including a patch of wild thyme I remember
when I mow.

Old 26-05-2014, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/05/14 08:24, Chris Hogg wrote:

I encourage clover in my lawn, to the extent of scattering seed and
taking 'cores' from clover-rich patches and re-planting in the
deficient areas, using a bulb planter. I find that clover stays green
during long dry spells, when the grass around it goes brown. Nor does
it require feeding. I also like it when it flowers, and the bees love
it. But you do have to use the right sort. Many clovers these days are
produced for agricultural use, for cattle to graze and to improve the
quality of silage, hay, green manure etc. The are too vigorous and
grow too high. You need to use Trifolium repens. It spreads by
creeping runners as well as seed, and stays low.

Interesting - thanks Chris.

I got mine from he

http://www.meadowmania.co.uk/green-manures.htm

They don't give the formal names - but if it doesn't turn out well, I
can knock it back with a selective weedkiller and try again next year.

Old 26-05-2014, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-26 02:30:34 +0000, Gary Woods said:

Tim Watts wrote:

I don;t use that type of weedkiller these days - I like the random
daisies and other interesting things that pop up

I agree- but then, I'm of the "as long as it's sort of green" school of
lawn. All sorts of nice stuff, including a patch of wild thyme I remember
when I mow.

I agree. We get violets in some parts and it's a lovely surprise. The
only thing is to remember to make chilldren (and others) wear shoes if
the clover is flowering. Bees just love it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-05-2014, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/05/2014 23:56, Tim Watts wrote:
I don;t use that type of weedkiller these days - I like the random
daisies and other interesting things that pop up

I'm carefully mowing around the cowslips. I must move them into a patch
the violets, buttercups and daisies are happy to be mowed.

Andy
Old 28-05-2014, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/05/2014 03:30, Gary Woods wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

I don;t use that type of weedkiller these days - I like the random
daisies and other interesting things that pop up

I agree- but then, I'm of the "as long as it's sort of green" school of
lawn. All sorts of nice stuff, including a patch of wild thyme I remember
when I mow.

I've got a couple of large patches of bugle too - which you need to
avoid with the mower for the period it is in flower. Even after flower,
the leaves look great in amongst the grass.

One of the patches seems to have developed into a big heart shape. Ahh,
isn't that cute...

--
regards andy