Old 09-07-2014, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Our Hedgehog

This week we have had a hedgehog in our garden, not seen one for 15 or so
years, unfortunately we have seen it because it's been about in daylight
which they should never be. Fed it wet cat food for three days but it was
still about late this morning. Spoke to our "local" rescue centre and they
said get him there ASAP as a Hedgehog would never be about in daylight
unless they had a serious problem.
They suspect internal parasites, will check his poo and treat, we then have
to go and pick him up and put him back in our garden.

Until today I was not aware that any hedgehog about during the day should
immediately be taken to a rescue centre without question.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-07-2014, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-09 22:19:26 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

This week we have had a hedgehog in our garden, not seen one for 15 or
so years, unfortunately we have seen it because it's been about in
daylight which they should never be. Fed it wet cat food for three days
but it was still about late this morning. Spoke to our "local" rescue
centre and they said get him there ASAP as a Hedgehog would never be
about in daylight unless they had a serious problem.
They suspect internal parasites, will check his poo and treat, we then
have to go and pick him up and put him back in our garden.

Until today I was not aware that any hedgehog about during the day
should immediately be taken to a rescue centre without question.

There's a Facebook page for a hedgehog rescue centre and they emphasise
that extremely strongly and say take them in without delay. The stories
they have to tell about the ills and accidents that befall hedgehogs
make my hair stand on end but they do wonderful work in curing them
wherever possible.http://www.hedgehog-rescue.org.uk
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-07-2014, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2014 23:19, Bob Hobden wrote:
This week we have had a hedgehog in our garden, not seen one for 15 or
so years, unfortunately we have seen it because it's been about in
daylight which they should never be. Fed it wet cat food for three days
but it was still about late this morning. Spoke to our "local" rescue
centre and they said get him there ASAP as a Hedgehog would never be
about in daylight unless they had a serious problem.
They suspect internal parasites, will check his poo and treat, we then
have to go and pick him up and put him back in our garden.

Until today I was not aware that any hedgehog about during the day
should immediately be taken to a rescue centre without question.

No, nor did I, and I have seen them on occasion. I will remember your
experience and endeavour to catch the critter next time. I have handled
them, as has RG, so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks, Bob.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 10-07-2014, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/07/2014 14:29, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 14:16:48 +0100, Spider wrote:

[...]

Am I right in thinking that it's a myth that hedgehogs are riddled
with fleas, or is it true?

I've never seen fleas, but I don't doubt they're a problem. Certainly
one hedgehog I saw had four huge ticks around its eye. Alas, it would
not allow itself to be caught. I suspect it may have lost the sight of
at least one eye eventually :~((.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 10-07-2014, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote

Spider wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Something else I learnt by talking to the lovely ladies at the rescue centre
(large shed in a back garden) was that although they do have fleas they are
specific to Hedgehogs and will not live on humans or other animals and won't
survive in carpets or cars etc. Thank goodness.

Other things I learnt are....
if you want to pick one up it's best to let it roll up first and then pick
it up using strong gloves because if it rolls up after you have it in your
hands you may find your glove fingers trapped, they have a strong grip.
Place in a cardboard box with air holes or pet carrier, with a towel on the
floor and lots of screwed up newspaper for it to burrow into.
They often are also suffering from hyperthermia because of their problem
(yes even in the summer) so they recommend filling a plastic bottle with hot
water, wrapping it in a few layers of paper and also placing that in the
carrier like a hot water bottle.

The rescue centre I went to was.....
http://www.happyhedgehog.org.uk/
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/07/2014 17:22, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote

Spider wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Thank you BOb, info passed on

--
Pete C
adventure before dementia
Old 10-07-2014, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 17:22:01 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote

Spider wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

I think you mean hypothermia Bob.
Hyperthermia means they would need cooling
Old 10-07-2014, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-07-10 13:29:32 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

[...]

They may have fleas but they don't transmit themselves to humans or
other animals, according to the hedgehog experts.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-07-2014, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fuschia" wrote
I think you mean hypothermia Bob.
Hyperthermia means they would need cooling

Oops, yes.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2014 23:19, Bob Hobden wrote:
This week we have had a hedgehog in our garden, not seen one for 15 or
so years, unfortunately we have seen it because it's been about in
daylight which they should never be. Fed it wet cat food for three days
but it was still about late this morning. Spoke to our "local" rescue
centre and they said get him there ASAP as a Hedgehog would never be
about in daylight unless they had a serious problem.
They suspect internal parasites, will check his poo and treat, we then
have to go and pick him up and put him back in our garden.

Until today I was not aware that any hedgehog about during the day
should immediately be taken to a rescue centre without question.

Good to know.

--
Bill P.
Shildon

Old 11-07-2014, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Spider wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

The fleas may not survive long on dog/human hosts but they do most efinitely bite
them.

Janet