Old 07-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Tim

Default Animal dropping identification - hedgehog?

I'm afraid I don't have a photo but can anyone confirm the likely identity
of the layer of these droppings.

They're jet black, about 4" long and around as thick as my little-finger
(1.5cm), straight and tapering to a point at one end.
Not obvious remains of seeds or insects in them that I could make out. They
only seem to appear overnight.

I'm assuming it's a hedgehog, am I right?

(Apologies for the mixed units)

Tim.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Kay Easton

In article oprrxj7yavwxhha1@localhost, Tim timnothy.cohsalpleangmer@a
pk.at writes
I'm afraid I don't have a photo but can anyone confirm the likely identity
of the layer of these droppings.

They're jet black, about 4" long and around as thick as my little-finger
(1.5cm), straight and tapering to a point at one end.
Not obvious remains of seeds or insects in them that I could make out. They
only seem to appear overnight.

I'm assuming it's a hedgehog, am I right?

A bit long, but otherwise sounds about right.

Your little finger is much thicker than mine!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 07-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Druss

"Tim" wrote in message
newsprrxj7yavwxhha1@localhost...
I'm afraid I don't have a photo but can anyone confirm the likely identity
of the layer of these droppings.

They're jet black, about 4" long and around as thick as my little-finger
(1.5cm), straight and tapering to a point at one end.
Not obvious remains of seeds or insects in them that I could make out.

They
only seem to appear overnight.

I'm assuming it's a hedgehog, am I right?

(Apologies for the mixed units)

Tim.

Yea probably hedgehog, they are black due to the number of beetles they eat,
which in turn of course would have eaten slugs, slugs eggs, young snails and
I have to find the remains of a slug in hedgehog poo, or actually see a
hedgehog eating slugs !!!
Duncan

Old 07-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Tim

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:07:56 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article oprrxj7yavwxhha1@localhost, Tim timnothy.cohsalpleangmer@a
pk.at writes
I'm afraid I don't have a photo but can anyone confirm the likely
identity of the layer of these droppings.

They're jet black, about 4" long and around as thick as my little-finger
(1.5cm), straight and tapering to a point at one end.
Not obvious remains of seeds or insects in them that I could make out.
They only seem to appear overnight.

I'm assuming it's a hedgehog, am I right?

A bit long, but otherwise sounds about right.

Your little finger is much thicker than mine!

Ok, it might be a little thinner.

Kay thanks, Maybe it's a big hedgehog. Perhaps I'd better strengthen the
fence.... ;-)

Tim.

Old 07-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Tim

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:35:31 +0100, Druss wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
newsprrxj7yavwxhha1@localhost...
I'm afraid I don't have a photo but can anyone confirm the likely
identity
of the layer of these droppings.

They're jet black, about 4" long and around as thick as my little-finger
(1.5cm), straight and tapering to a point at one end.
Not obvious remains of seeds or insects in them that I could make out.

They
only seem to appear overnight.

I'm assuming it's a hedgehog, am I right?

(Apologies for the mixed units)

Tim.

Yea probably hedgehog, they are black due to the number of beetles they
eat,
which in turn of course would have eaten slugs, slugs eggs, young snails

I certainly hope so.

Do you know if hedgehogs eat young toads - about 1" long? I have a couple
of baby toads in the garden and I expect they might be in danger of being
snapped-up too ?

and
I have to find the remains of a slug in hedgehog poo, or actually see a
hedgehog eating slugs !!!
Duncan

I suppose it's something to do on a cold, damp night if you're REALLY
bored. :-)

Tim.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Druss

newsprrxm10cuwxhha1@localhost...

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know, I think they tend to go for slightly smaller, slower moving
things, though if they really are going to eat slugs then I guess toads
wouldn't be out of the question, couldn't really taste much worse could they
? I know they like cat food, so maybe if you stick some of that out every
night, they might be inclined to leave your toads alone, might be a bit of a
draw for the local cat population as well though.

and
I have to find the remains of a slug in hedgehog poo, or actually see a
hedgehog eating slugs !!!
Duncan

I suppose it's something to do on a cold, damp night if you're REALLY
bored. :-)

hmm, cold, damp nights and boredom, nah! I think i'll stick to my warm
fires, big socks and telly for that problem.
Duncan

Tim.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Tim

Do you know if hedgehogs eat young toads - about 1" long? I have a
couple
of baby toads in the garden and I expect they might be in danger of
being
snapped-up too ?

I don't know, I think they tend to go for slightly smaller, slower moving
things, though if they really are going to eat slugs then I guess toads
wouldn't be out of the question, couldn't really taste much worse could
they
? I know they like cat food, so maybe if you stick some of that out every
night, they might be inclined to leave your toads alone, might be a bit
of a
draw for the local cat population as well though.

There are quite a few local cats. Maybe I can rig up a cat-proof tunnel or
similar, but they're pretty ingenious animals. Any extra wildlife in my
garden is welcome. Ta.

Tim.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:54:17 +0200, Tim
wrote:

There are quite a few local cats. Maybe I can rig up a cat-proof tunnel or
similar, but they're pretty ingenious animals. Any extra wildlife in my
garden is welcome. Ta.

Apparently all you need do is place a saucer over the bowl of cat
food. It appears that this will flummox the average cat, but will not
deter the hedgehog.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 07-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Tim

wrote:

There are quite a few local cats. Maybe I can rig up a cat-proof tunnel
or similar, but they're pretty ingenious animals. Any extra wildlife in
my garden is welcome. Ta.

Apparently all you need do is place a saucer over the bowl of cat
food. It appears that this will flummox the average cat, but will not
deter the hedgehog.

Ha, I like it ! I'll give it a try with a little bit, I don't want to stop
it eating it's natural food (unless it's toads :-) ).
Tim.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Tom Warner

newsprrxvodruwxhha1@localhost...

wrote:

There are quite a few local cats. Maybe I can rig up a cat-proof tunnel
or similar, but they're pretty ingenious animals. Any extra wildlife in
my garden is welcome. Ta.

Apparently all you need do is place a saucer over the bowl of cat
food. It appears that this will flummox the average cat, but will not
deter the hedgehog.

Ha, I like it ! I'll give it a try with a little bit, I don't want to stop
it eating it's natural food (unless it's toads :-) ).
Tim.

You could try dog food, my cats at least wouldn't touch the stuff, but
hedgehogs are not so fussy.
You may also find yourself a regular stop on the rounds of the local fox!
Tom

Old 07-07-2003, 08:27 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Tom
Warner writes

wrote:

There are quite a few local cats. Maybe I can rig up a cat-proof tunnel
or similar, but they're pretty ingenious animals. Any extra wildlife in
my garden is welcome. Ta.

Apparently all you need do is place a saucer over the bowl of cat
food. It appears that this will flummox the average cat, but will not
deter the hedgehog.

Ha, I like it ! I'll give it a try with a little bit, I don't want to stop
it eating it's natural food (unless it's toads :-) ).
Tim.

You could try dog food, my cats at least wouldn't touch the stuff, but
hedgehogs are not so fussy.

ISTR dog food is not good for hedgehogs. Not high enough meat content.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 07-07-2003, 08:27 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Druss
writes

Do you know if hedgehogs eat young toads - about 1" long? I have a couple
of baby toads in the garden and I expect they might be in danger of being
snapped-up too ?

I don't know, I think they tend to go for slightly smaller, slower moving
things, though if they really are going to eat slugs then I guess toads
wouldn't be out of the question, couldn't really taste much worse could they
?

Quite possibly they could. I believe they excrete a foul tasting liquid
purely to deter predators.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 07-07-2003, 08:28 PM
sw

Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Tom
Warner writes

wrote:

There are quite a few local cats. Maybe I can rig up a cat-proof tunnel
or similar, but they're pretty ingenious animals. Any extra wildlife in
my garden is welcome. Ta.

Apparently all you need do is place a saucer over the bowl of cat
food. It appears that this will flummox the average cat, but will not
deter the hedgehog.

Ha, I like it ! I'll give it a try with a little bit, I don't want to stop
it eating it's natural food (unless it's toads :-) ).
Tim.

You could try dog food, my cats at least wouldn't touch the stuff, but
hedgehogs are not so fussy.

ISTR dog food is not good for hedgehogs. Not high enough meat content.

There is a tinned hedgehog food available, but I can't remember where I
saw it. Dog food plus biscuit, well soaked, is fine. Cat food plus dog
biscuit is also fine; even small quantities of bread&milk is fine. As
Pat Morris used to say, the thing to remember is that all of these are
junk food by hedgehog standards. Don't put out vast quantities, just
enough to encourage the hhogs to visit as they trundle about eating what
they should.

regards
sarah

--
Waist deep, neck deep
We'll be drowning before too long
Old 07-07-2003, 08:28 PM
AndWhyNot

wrote:

There are quite a few local cats. Maybe I can rig up a cat-proof tunnel or
similar, but they're pretty ingenious animals. Any extra wildlife in my
garden is welcome. Ta.

Apparently all you need do is place a saucer over the bowl of cat
food. It appears that this will flummox the average cat, but will not
deter the hedgehog.

Regards

Hmm, this would not work with Phil Collins (our cat) he would kick the
saucer off of the bowl, and probably kick the hedgehog too, maybe even
eat it if he could get hold of it ............... he is a BIG hungry
cat !!