Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Agave stolen

"Spider" wrote in message
On 05/12/2014 11:07, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 04/12/2014 19:58, David wrote:
On 04/12/2014 18:22, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 02/12/2014 13:28, Saxman wrote:
On 01/12/2014 18:18, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Janet" wrote

bobhobden says...

Went downstairs this morning at about 07.30 and noticed the front
gate was
open, looked out and there it was gone.

One of our two large Agave americana Marginata, the biggest one
that
was
given to me by a friend over 40+ years ago as a tiny offshoot.
They
have
both been in our front garden for years. Has to have been a
"professional"
job as it probably needed two to carry it in it's tall square
clay
pot, I
use a wheeled truck to move it, and they would need some sort of
protective
gear, certainly needed a van or pickup to move it away.

Unfortunately I haven't got 40 years to grow another that big!
B'stards

You might ask the local paper to run an article on the theft,
with a
pic of the plant if you have one. Makes it harder to sell, or
display.

The photographer for the local rag called to take photos today and
I've
already had a good discussion with a reporter so it looks like it
will
be in the local papers some time soon.
Reporter seems more than interested that the Police said they could
only
follow up the case if I found good CCTV that could ID the offenders
and/or the vehicle. Said he is hearing too many cases like that
these
days.

All these stolen bikes and plants. It's probably bike shops and
nurseries. Think about it. They have the means to shift such
things
and look less suspicious in the operation. I certainly wouldn't
suspect
anything if I saw your Agave being loaded into the back of a nursery
van.

Good heavens! I would certainly be suspicious *and* alert the
neighbour
to what was going on. In our road, we talk to our neighbours and if
knew a neighbour like Bob with a treasured plant of 40yrs tending,
there's
no way I would ignore its being loaded into a van.
But then I am an award-winning neighbourhood watch coordinator with a
very
suspicious streak. I often challenge dodgy behaviour.

I would never doubt you, but please be careful!

Ah! The nosy old biddy down the road.

That's me. The neighbourhood witch with the twitching curtain :~)).

I would love to have you as my neighbour.

Aww. Come and move in then. There's a house up for sale.

Tempting ... )

It is good to know others are
looking out for each other.

Indeed. We really do that thoroughly. I can contact any neighbour any
time. The more able of us shop for and call on the elderly, so they're
less isolated. After all, it's not hard to make that call and offer to
pick something up while you're shopping. Sometimes RG will take an
elderly neighbour shopping in his car so he gets a trip out, rather than
stare at 4 walls.

We also share waste and recycling bins if someone has an extra load of
garden waste, or are having a clear out. If you're using a friend's bin,
use your eyes to make sure there are no leaflets hanging from their letter
box. It's easy to repay the favour.

That is a real community!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 05-12-2014, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

to what was going on. In our road, we talk to our neighbours and if I
knew a neighbour like Bob with a treasured plant of 40yrs tending,
there's
no way I would ignore its being loaded into a van.
But then I am an award-winning neighbourhood watch coordinator with a
very
suspicious streak. I often challenge dodgy behaviour.

I would never doubt you, but please be careful!

Bless you for that, Ophelia! I am always extremely careful, I promise
you. Most incidents are innocent and many challenged from some small
distance. In truth, quite a few are youths that just need moving on,
but we have helped the police catch a few thieves and burglars. We
have about a dozen CCTV cameras to back up anything we see, which
makes a huge difference.

I do think it's important to stand up and be counted, but I truly
avoid taking unnecessary risks. Honest.

Aye, well just be careful!

Thanks. I really will. I've been doing it for 29+yrs and I'm all right
so far. There's a cowardly streak running right through me, like a stick
of rock:~).

I am very pleased to hear it)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 05-12-2014, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/12/2014 18:48, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message

I would never doubt you, but please be careful!

Ah! The nosy old biddy down the road.

Someone who is willing to steal stuff from under the owner's nose,
might
not take too kindly to being challenged and may just hit out.

In a genuinely tricky situation, I call on the police and extra
witnesses. We run a good watch scheme here. Anyway, triggering a
panic button and our alarm system (if need be) would soon frighten any
intruder or thief.

Does every house have them? How would you cope outside if you
challenged some men moving stuff? I hope you would never think to do
that alone???

Many of our houses have alarms, but if I saw something deeply
suspicious with active villains, the chances are our CCTV would pick
them up. If I could raise extra witnesses, that would help (but I
refuse to accept any vigilanteism in our road), otherwise I would
trigger my own house alarm by using the panic button - if I was that
worried (I've never had to do that yet). However, with such an
incident, I would simply dial 999 and let the police come and catch
them red-handed. I probably wouldn't need to challenge the villains.

I hope you have more luck that a guy on the radio today who was saying
he waited on the phone for an hour when he tried to report a burglary at
a neighbours house. A week later, a community policeman came to take a
statement

I didn't hear that on the radio or news so don't know the details, but
it may be simply that the burglar had already decamped and the police
had to prioritise other incidents. If the villain is no longer on the
premises, it is better to call 101 or the local police station, than to
call 999. If the villain is still on the target property or known to be
nearby, then it's worth calling 999 so there's a real chance that the
police can make an arrest.

Often we see suspicious behaviour and take a look outside. If I
challenge someone, I usually just ask if they're looking for someone
or something, or will say "Is that your car?" if they're hanging
around. There's no need to get very close. I can call from my front
steps if I wish. Sometimes I just challenge over-grown kids because
they've trespassed on private property. They're often a bit 'lippy'.
One asked me if I was accusing them of stealing (there were 4 of
them). I simply said "No, I'm not, but if you enter someone's
property and take something without asking their permission, then it's
likely you are comitting theft". This is not accusatory (they all
know their rights!), but lets them know you're watching them and are
prepared to act. That is usually quite sufficient.

I am sure you know what you are doing and how to take good care of
yourself.

Just reverting back to gardening, when we had plant thieves in our
road, our CCTV camera footage helped the police catch the villains
involved, which was most satisfying. I doubt they'll be back!

Excellent

We think so. The main thing is to drive crime away from our road,
which can be done sensibly and safely. Just twitching a curtain or
opening the front door and letting 'them' know they've been seen is
quite enough to let them know we have an active Watch scheme. We do
rather more than just put up stickers! ;~).

Obviously that makes a huge difference) Well done

Thank you.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 05-12-2014, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, it's like living in a happy little village. We all love it.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 05-12-2014, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

You all make it that way I am very pleased for you))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

OT-- Stolen Dog Returned cross United Kingdom 14 31-08-2004 12:22 AM
Stolen? Koi :was New Guy- Skooch Ponds 1 26-06-2003 01:08 AM
[IBC] Fw: STOLEN BONSAI] Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 17-06-2003 08:20 PM
[IBC] Stolen suiseki dalecochoy Bonsai 5 14-02-2003 10:51 PM
Stolen suiseki Reiner Goebel Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 02:55 AM