Old 16-11-2014, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Agave stolen

This has grown to quite a thread which now includes CCTV Cameras and 'dummy'
cameras.

May I give a bit of advice on fitting these 'dummy cameras'?

""Fitting? They don't have to be fitted, just stick up where the scroats can
see them""

NO .. NO .. NO .. NO .. NO

Now I know that my postings are read by those who claim to have kill filed
me, but you still read me and can therefore learn something here :-) .....
;-)

If you have to fit a 'live' camera, (or a security alarm external bell) what
have you, or the engineer has to consider?

""Will it be seen?"" ..... ""Will it have the scan?"" ...... ""Will it be
safe?"" ........ ""Will the scroats be able to noble it so that it doesn't
record?"" .........

and of course these apply to the dummy as well.

What is missing which has to be considered by those fitting a working
system?

Nothing??????

What about the cables going to it?

""A DUMMY DOESN'T HAVE ANY CABLES""

And if you stick your dummy camera in the middle of a lovely rendered wall
which is obviously in the middle of a bedroom wall on the other side, scroat
knows.

An engineer will fit it near to somewhere so that when he drills through the
wall, yes cavity as well, he will come out in a cupboard which is usually in
the corner of a section of the building or up through the eaves into a roof
space.

The other alternative is a gable which common sense tells you it goes
through to a roof space

Now your homework this week is to check out external Security Alarms and
CCTV cameras to see how many are dummies considering what I have taught you.
.......... Yes those who have laughingly kill filed me too :-) ..... You
have to laugh don't you?

Mike
Who has installed these things and who has been teaching in a prison for two
years with the scroats I am talking about.
Advertising space going to waste at the moment
but I will do something about it ASAP
(For those who ask ;-)
This make four lines I believe ... ;-)

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

Went downstairs this morning at about 07.30 and noticed the front gate was
open, looked out and there it was gone.

One of our two large Agave americana Marginata, the biggest one that was
given to me by a friend over 40+ years ago as a tiny offshoot. They have
both been in our front garden for years. Has to have been a "professional"
job as it probably needed two to carry it in it's tall square clay pot, I
use a wheeled truck to move it, and they would need some sort of protective
gear, certainly needed a van or pickup to move it away.

Unfortunately I haven't got 40 years to grow another that big! B'stards

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-11-2014, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 2014-11-15 16:02:23 +0000, Janet said:

In article ,
says...

Went downstairs this morning at about 07.30 and noticed the front
gate was
open, looked out and there it was gone.

One of our two large Agave americana Marginata, the biggest one that was
given to me by a friend over 40+ years ago as a tiny offshoot. They have
both been in our front garden for years. Has to have been a
"professional"
job as it probably needed two to carry it in it's tall square clay
pot, I
use a wheeled truck to move it, and they would need some sort of
protective
gear, certainly needed a van or pickup to move it away.

Unfortunately I haven't got 40 years to grow another that big!
B'stards

You might ask the local paper to run an article on the theft, with a
pic of the plant if you have one. Makes it harder to sell, or display.

Janet.

At that size it won't be seen locally - far too obvious. It could be
halfway to Cornwall or Edinburgh two hours after it was stolen.

If I recall correctly the dragons on the temple at Biddulph Grange were
stolen and recovered locally, and they would have been even more obvious.

http://www.ntprints.com/image/348670...bidulph-grange

Quite. It's probably been nicked by someone local (who else would
know of it?) and might end up at a car boot sale.

Janet.

Old 16-11-2014, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-11-15 21:20:25 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote ...

Janet said:

says...

[...]

That was my thought, someone has stolen it to order or it's a
landscaper wanting an architectural plant for a job (he will charge the
client lots for it too). Anyway I have e-mailed the local rag with a
photo of the smaller one in the same type of pot and given then the
very sad tale, we shall see.

No photo, obviously, but I've put a message on Twitter and Facebook to
keep a look out.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-11-2014, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 12:39:38 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Went downstairs this morning at about 07.30 and noticed the front gate was
open, looked out and there it was gone.

One of our two large Agave americana Marginata, the biggest one that was
given to me by a friend over 40+ years ago as a tiny offshoot. They have
both been in our front garden for years. Has to have been a "professional"
job as it probably needed two to carry it in it's tall square clay pot, I
use a wheeled truck to move it, and they would need some sort of protective
gear, certainly needed a van or pickup to move it away.

Unfortunately I haven't got 40 years to grow another that big! B'stards

So sorry Bob. You both must be really frieving for that plant you have
teneded for so long. I hope somehow the low-life get caught.
Pam
Old 17-11-2014, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 18:51:38 +0000, Spider wrote:

So sorry to hear that, Bob. I hope you have reported it to the local
police, especially since the thieves were clearly well-prepared. We had

+1. So sorry to hear about your loss, this sort of thing really makes me
spit.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 17-11-2014, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/11/2014 13:15, Emery Davis wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 18:51:38 +0000, Spider wrote:

So sorry to hear that, Bob. I hope you have reported it to the local
police, especially since the thieves were clearly well-prepared. We had

+1. So sorry to hear about your loss, this sort of thing really makes me
spit.

Indeed.
Really bad luck to have kept it for so long and then have it stolen.

Unfortunately in the run up to Xmas with the long dark nights it is
definitely the season for things being vanished - also check your garden
shed / garage is properly secure. Quadbikes seem to be a big target
around here followed closely by catalytic converters.

I wonder if there are any wireless magnet and reed switch based alarms
for protecting remote garden ornaments or valuable specimen plants?
(trouble is reed switches tend to fail closed)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote

bobhobden says...

Went downstairs this morning at about 07.30 and noticed the front gate
was
open, looked out and there it was gone.

One of our two large Agave americana Marginata, the biggest one that was
given to me by a friend over 40+ years ago as a tiny offshoot. They have
both been in our front garden for years. Has to have been a
"professional"
job as it probably needed two to carry it in it's tall square clay pot, I
use a wheeled truck to move it, and they would need some sort of
protective
gear, certainly needed a van or pickup to move it away.

Unfortunately I haven't got 40 years to grow another that big!

B'stards

You might ask the local paper to run an article on the theft, with a
pic of the plant if you have one. Makes it harder to sell, or display.

The photographer for the local rag called to take photos today and I've
already had a good discussion with a reporter so it looks like it will be in
the local papers some time soon.
Reporter seems more than interested that the Police said they could only
follow up the case if I found good CCTV that could ID the offenders and/or
the vehicle. Said he is hearing too many cases like that these days.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/12/2014 18:18, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Janet" wrote

bobhobden says...

[...]

All these stolen bikes and plants. It's probably bike shops and
nurseries. Think about it. They have the means to shift such things
and look less suspicious in the operation. I certainly wouldn't suspect
anything if I saw your Agave being loaded into the back of a nursery van.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/12/2014 13:28, Saxman wrote:
[...]

Good heavens! I would certainly be suspicious *and* alert the neighbour
to what was going on. In our road, we talk to our neighbours and if I
knew a neighbour like Bob with a treasured plant of 40yrs tending,
there's no way I would ignore its being loaded into a van.
But then I am an award-winning neighbourhood watch coordinator with a
very suspicious streak. I often challenge dodgy behaviour.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 04-12-2014, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

I would never doubt you, but please be careful!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 04-12-2014, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ah! The nosy old biddy down the road.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Someone who is willing to steal stuff from under the owner's nose, might
not take too kindly to being challenged and may just hit out.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Bless you for that, Ophelia! I am always extremely careful, I promise
you. Most incidents are innocent and many challenged from some small
distance. In truth, quite a few are youths that just need moving on,
but we have helped the police catch a few thieves and burglars. We have
about a dozen CCTV cameras to back up anything we see, which makes a
huge difference.

I do think it's important to stand up and be counted, but I truly avoid
taking unnecessary risks. Honest.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

That's me. The neighbourhood witch with the twitching curtain :~)).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

OT-- Stolen Dog Returned cross United Kingdom 14 31-08-2004 12:22 AM
Stolen? Koi :was New Guy- Skooch Ponds 1 26-06-2003 01:08 AM
[IBC] Fw: STOLEN BONSAI] Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 17-06-2003 08:20 PM
[IBC] Stolen suiseki dalecochoy Bonsai 5 14-02-2003 10:51 PM
Stolen suiseki Reiner Goebel Bonsai 0 12-02-2003 02:55 AM