Old 14-10-2015, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default where has everybody gone?

On 08/10/2015 12:45, Pam Moore wrote:
Where has everybody gone?
Have you all migrated to a new Newsgroup?
Miss you!

I'm still here, Pam, though I'm never "all there at a time!"
I have been almost living in the garden for the past couple of months.
I always mean to urgle when I come indoors but, being a lady spider,
there's always dinner to prepare.
I did have a difficult time in August, following a motorway crash at
60mph which wrote our car off. It's amazing it didn't write us off, but
it left us both in shock and nervous wrecks for a while. I'm still
jumping out of my skin at loud noises!
At the moment, I'm caught up with lots of neighbourhood watch business
(we do rather more here than apply stickers to our windows), but I get
outside in the garden whenever I can. No doubt when the clocks change
and we're all forced indoors at 3.30pm, there'll be lots of activity on
urg. I shall be there.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 14-10-2015, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/10/2015 16:06, Spider wrote:
[...]

Poor you Spider, I'm so sorry to hear about the accident, but glad that
you were more shaken than stirred.
Do take it easy and don't go overdoing things as winter comes on.
Your health is the top priority, plants can be replaced, you can't.
David @ a dry side of Swansea Bay.
Old 15-10-2015, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/10/2015 21:09, David Hill wrote:
[...]

Thank you, David, that's very kind .. *and* sensible.
I shall be doing a lot of gardening now the weather is cooler and the
weeds have slowed down, but I promise to be very careful.
The same goes for you, of course, since this is your digging-up-dahlias
time of year. Don't snap yourself. Hope you get reasonably dry weather
until it's done.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 15-10-2015, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sacha" wrote in message
Bob, you can also state on Fb that you don't "want to see any more

posts like this", so if you're bored with the 'cute' stuff (I know
*precisely* what you mean by that) you can click on that. I haven't
investigated whether or not that cuts off peoples' posts you do want to
see but will do so. Otoh, I simply click past them, just as I would on
here if someone I don't want to read every time is posting things I'm not
interested in.
--
Sacha

But don't you find that there are so many posts on Facebook groups that you
just can't keep up with them? I do.
I much prefer Usenet.
There will always be only the old regulars on there,alas, because there is
no path to it now. No button on your toolbar that said "Newsgroups"to lead
you to the exciting world of what Usenet was. The death knell was when UK
ISP's stopped supporting it and those who wanted to continue had to pay News
Individual Net (still doing a sterling service despite earlier worries
about German VAT)

I still think it's worth every penny of the 10 euros/year..
I actually like seeing the same old faces on Usenet because they seem like
friends after so many years.

Tina

Old 15-10-2015, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
Today my carer got some messages while she was cooking lunch. After
lunch she sat with me responding to the messages. It took her about 15
minutes during which she wouldn't speak to me!

Another one of my carers has to communicate with her two sons using
Facebook because they won't answer the phone when she rings.

That's seriously out of order. She should be using her time to care for
you. That's what she's paid for.
I walk a poodle for a disabled person to enable her to keep him. I often
meet her carers, and I never saw any of them using Facebook on their phones
in her house. I think you should make a complaint about this. Your carers
are paid for however long to care for you. Not be on their phones!
And don't be afraid to do it. Or do you have someone who could "pretend"
that they saw this and complain on your behalf, as I very well know that
disabled people can be at the mercy of bad carers and don't want to make a
complaint in case it gets worse.

Old 16-10-2015, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 22:53:53 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

[...]

Yes, but we are very good friends who bounce our problems around. She
explained that she has to use Facebook just to get in touch with her
sons. They both live in other countries. She doesn't use Facebook when
she is caring for me unless she absolutely must. I solve her PC
problems as well as pay her a bit. She is worth every penny.

It's a different carer who makes lunch. She has funny priorities and
seems to think Facebook messages must be answered as soon as possible,
even if I'm starving!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 16-10-2015, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/10/2015 22:27, Christina Websell wrote:
"sacha" wrote in message
[...]

+ 1. I know I've been away, but I *love* it here.
--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 18-10-2015, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/10/2015 22:27, Christina Websell wrote:
The death knell was when UK
ISP's stopped supporting it

Not all of them. And it's on my requirements list if I should change.

There are also some free news providers.

Andy
Old 18-10-2015, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Vir Campestris" wrote

Christina Websell wrote:
The death knell was when UK
ISP's stopped supporting it

Not all of them. And it's on my requirements list if I should change.

There are also some free news providers.

There are? I know of only one, I tried teranews and they took my one off
money and a few weeks later closed their free server, nice.

I think the death of newsgroups started with the rise in web based mail. In
the old days you had to configure an email client program to do emails and
within those programs were the words "Newsgroups", even in Outlook Express,
and, as I did, you clicked on it and found out about them. With web based
mail you never see the word Newsgroups so new internet users have never
heard of them and even if they did would have no idea how to get to them.
Computers no longer come with a suitable program (or should I say app).

As you all know I use Windows Live Mail (part of the Windows Live Essentials
download) and it works OK with a little help from AutoHotkey and WinQuotefix
which still work in Win 10.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-10-2015, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/10/15 23:39, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Vir Campestris" wrote

Christina Websell wrote:
The death knell was when UK
ISP's stopped supporting it

Not all of them. And it's on my requirements list if I should change.

There are also some free news providers.

There are? I know of only one, I tried teranews and they took my one off
money and a few weeks later closed their free server, nice.

http://www.albasani.net/index.html.en

I've been using it for years. Very reliable.

I think the death of newsgroups started with the rise in web based mail. In
the old days you had to configure an email client program to do emails and
within those programs were the words "Newsgroups", even in Outlook Express,
and, as I did, you clicked on it and found out about them. With web based
mail you never see the word Newsgroups so new internet users have never
heard of them and even if they did would have no idea how to get to them.
Computers no longer come with a suitable program (or should I say app).

The main problem is the dearth of good Usenet client apps for Android (I
have no idea if there are any for iphones or ipads). I believe that the
only reasonable app for android is PiaoHong. There is a free version,
but I think there are ads which appear. The paid version is free of ads
and more powerful. Many of the other apps for Usenet are read-only.

--

Jeff

Old 19-10-2015, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:

On 18/10/15 23:39, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Vir Campestris" wrote

There are also some free news providers.

There are? I know of only one, I tried teranews and they took my one off
money and a few weeks later closed their free server, nice.

http://www.albasani.net/index.html.en

I've been using it for years. Very reliable.

http://www.eternal-september.org/

works fine for me.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 19-10-2015, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin P" wrote in message

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 09:26:07 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

On 18/10/15 23:39, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Vir Campestris" wrote

There are also some free news providers.

There are? I know of only one, I tried teranews and they took my one
off
money and a few weeks later closed their free server, nice.

http://www.albasani.net/index.html.en

I've been using it for years. Very reliable.

http://www.eternal-september.org/

works fine for me.

We have this discussion every few months. AFAIR Bob uses a binary group.

Used to use a Binary group is the reality.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-10-2015, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:

The main problem is the dearth of good Usenet client apps for Android (I
have no idea if there are any for iphones or ipads).

I am using newstap in an iPad. As far as I can tell it is the /only/ nntp
client for ios. The developer is approachable and friendly, but it lacks
things like ability to add rot13 when sending, and any sensible killfile
system. .sig handling is not there.

OT Where has time gone Mike United Kingdom 7 22-04-2003 01:08 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 2 30-01-2003 12:44 PM
has the FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 1 30-01-2003 12:41 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 06:26 AM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 05:56 AM