Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Jez Phillips

Default pond, mosquitoes & DDT - potential neighbour dispute

Hi

Grateful for advice or to hear from anyone who has experience of similar
situation.

I have a pond in my garden. My neighbour is concerned that at dusk the pond
attracts mosquitoes, which then go off to their house and bite them. I think
they have suffered allergic reations to the bites.

They have suggested spraying DDT to kill the mosquitoes.

Here's the state of the pond:
* No pump
* Full of oxygenating plants & netted in winter to keep leaves out, so water
not a stagnant soup
* Full of tadpoles, pond skaters, damselflies, a few ramshorn snails, other
critters
* No sighting of mosquito larvae

Our gardens back onto a little nature reserve which has a pond about 15 sq
feet. Again, this is full of tadpoles, clean looking, no mosquito larvae
attached to the surface.

It seems to me that there is no action to be taken over mosquitoes breeding
in the pond because I can't see the larvae in the water. Is that correct?

Is there anything I can do to stop them congregating at dusk. Place a
mosquito net over the pond?

When the mosquiroes fly close to the surfaceof the pond, are they drinking
water from the pond?

Are there any targetted sprays, organic products etc that will deal with
this. There'll be no point havin a pond if DDT goes in there.

Any research or studies that have gone into this kind of thing that show
applying DDT is a silly thing to do?

Thanks v much

Jez Phillips

Article on weight gain and exposure too DDT prenatal relates to obesity Bill who putters Edible Gardening 1 10-10-2010 07:30 AM
DDT or NO DDT? Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 4 20-03-2006 11:20 PM
DDT or NO DDT? James Edible Gardening 11 15-03-2006 05:29 PM
Man Shot Dead over hedge dispute ! Hep-Liver United Kingdom 19 18-06-2003 10:20 AM
Klamath River dispute rages despite salmon deaths Psalm 110 alt.forestry 0 09-12-2002 08:33 PM