Old 09-07-2003, 02:43 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default Animal dropping identification - hedgehog?

The message oprrzgkjrywxhha1@localhost
from Tim contains these words:

Definitely 4" maximum, but not much less normally, say aound 3" might be a
better average. It's straight, not in a heap like I'd expect a fox to do
(do they do it like that?). I'll check if the end points up next time I
spot one. I'd have thought a fox would have made a much thicker stool than
that though, wouldn't it?

No, they aren't heaped; the singular deposit is like a finger, except
for the characteristic upturned squiggly point at the end, and much
darker than most dogs' pooh. Foxes often pooh on something raised up,
like a wall or log or stone, to mark territory.

Janet.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Tim

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:09:32 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message oprrzgkjrywxhha1@localhost
from Tim contains these words:

Definitely 4" maximum, but not much less normally, say aound 3" might be a
better average. It's straight, not in a heap like I'd expect a fox to do
(do they do it like that?). I'll check if the end points up next time I
spot one. I'd have thought a fox would have made a much thicker stool than
that though, wouldn't it?

No, they aren't heaped; the singular deposit is like a finger, except
for the characteristic upturned squiggly point at the end, and much
darker than most dogs' pooh. Foxes often pooh on something raised up,
like a wall or log or stone, to mark territory.

Janet.

Interesting, it could be. They're just deposited seemingly randomly on the
lawn though. It's not to be ruled out. Are there any other things that I
could look out for that might indicate a fox? I mean apart from the fox
itself :-)
There's been no sign of digging or scratching around.

Tim.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:42 AM
CK

Can I suggest you go to your nearest Library and borrow/request one of the many
titles that they will have on the identification of animal tracks, trails and signs.
Just did an online check on our (Somerset) web library catalogue and there are at
least 10 different titles available!
Chris

Old 10-07-2003, 12:44 AM
CK

Old 10-07-2003, 12:52 AM
CK

Old 10-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Tim

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:00:40 +0100, CK
wrote:

Can I suggest you go to your nearest Library and borrow/request one of
the many
titles that they will have on the identification of animal tracks, trails
and signs.
Just did an online check on our (Somerset) web library catalogue and
there are at
least 10 different titles available!
Chris

I would but I don't have a public library handy - I'll have to hit a
bookshop instead.
I've been considering such a book, now this might be the impetus I need

Tim.