Old 30-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Aileen Howard

Default Toadstools

Hi all

Sorry to be boring, but I asked a while ago about how to get rid of
toadstools from a new lawn. If this has been answered previously, can
someone tell me how to access the archives please?

Thanks greatly for any helpful replies,

Aileen

Old 30-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Ophelia

"Aileen Howard" wrote in message
Hi all

Sorry to be boring, but I asked a while ago about how to get rid of
toadstools from a new lawn. If this has been answered previously, can
someone tell me how to access the archives please?

Thanks greatly for any helpful replies,

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

HTH

Ophelia

Old 30-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Aileen Howard

Thanks Ophelia

I've looked at the archives and the general consensus seems to be that
there's not much chance of getting rid of them. It's just so annoying,
having a new lawn laid and trying to keep it neat, and then find that three
or four inch high, pale coloured toadstools are popping up all over the
place, seemingly at random. They must have come in the topsoil the grass
people laid under the turf as I've never had them before.

I'm just glad I haven't any little children to put them in their mouths!
Even if someone said they were edible, I wouldn't dare try them, which is a
pity as free 'mushrooms' could be nice for breakfast everyday.

Regards, Aileen

Old 30-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Ophelia

"Aileen Howard" wrote in message
Thanks Ophelia

I've looked at the archives and the general consensus seems to be that
there's not much chance of getting rid of them. It's just so annoying,
having a new lawn laid and trying to keep it neat, and then find that

three
or four inch high, pale coloured toadstools are popping up all over the
place, seemingly at random. They must have come in the topsoil the grass
people laid under the turf as I've never had them before.

I'm just glad I haven't any little children to put them in their mouths!
Even if someone said they were edible, I wouldn't dare try them, which is

pity as free 'mushrooms' could be nice for breakfast everyday.

You are most welcome. It is a pity they are not mushrooms

Ophelia

Old 30-07-2003, 02:12 PM
AWM

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Aileen Howard" wrote in message
Thanks Ophelia

reakfast everyday.

You are most welcome. It is a pity they are not mushrooms

Ophelia

On a lot of lawns they are as the turfer suppliers often use old mushroom
compost.

Old 30-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Aileen Howard

Perhaps so, but they don't look like mushrooms to me. They are real classic
toadstool shaped, pointed, long and narrow 'heads', but no red spots!
Aileen

Old 30-07-2003, 07:23 PM
AWM

"Aileen Howard" wrote in message
Perhaps so, but they don't look like mushrooms to me. They are real

classic
toadstool shaped, pointed, long and narrow 'heads', but no red spots!
Aileen

Pity about the red spots ;-(

Old 30-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Sarah Dale

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:43:47 +0100, Aileen Howard wrote:
Sorry to be boring, but I asked a while ago about how to get rid of
toadstools from a new lawn. If this has been answered previously, can
someone tell me how to access the archives please?

Just mow reguarly Aileen - that should keep them out of sight. If you
want, you could dig them out by hand carefully, but not worth IMO if you
are mowing.

Sarah

Old 30-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Aileen Howard

Sarah

I would have to mow *every day* to keep them out of sight. They grow to
around 3 inches overnight. Oh, how I wish I could eat them sigh.
(perhaps I could, but I'm not 'ready to go' just yet). At the moment I go
out every morning to pick them and throw them in the bin - won't be much fun
in the winter, when the grass is wet and soggy:-(

Aileen

news

Old 31-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Arthur

The fungus is unlikely to be putting up toadstools during the winter, so you
won't need to worry about that. If you don't have small children to eat
them, why not just leave them?

At the risk of being controversial, sometimes a lawn can look TOO perfect
and unnatural.

- Arthur

"Aileen Howard" wrote in message
Sarah

I would have to mow *every day* to keep them out of sight. They grow to
around 3 inches overnight. Oh, how I wish I could eat them sigh.
(perhaps I could, but I'm not 'ready to go' just yet). At the moment I go
out every morning to pick them and throw them in the bin - won't be much

fun
in the winter, when the grass is wet and soggy:-(

Aileen

news

Old 31-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Aileen Howard

Arthur

I was particularly concerned about winter, when the grass can be too wet to
walk on, and in my ignorance thought there might be even more of them.

As to my lawn being *too* perfect - did you see those porkers passing by in
the air last night?

Incidentally we had new turf laid around the middle of April. It was
'cultivated' and looked really weed free for several weeks, but now the
weeds are proliferating but it says on 'weed and feed', spot weed killers
etc, that you shouldn't use them until the lawn has been down for 6 months.
I'm in a bit of a quandary about this, also.

Best regards and thanks for the reply,
Aileen
"Arthur" wrote in message
[...]

news

Old 31-07-2003, 11:13 AM
AWM

"Aileen Howard" wrote in message
Arthur

I was particularly concerned about winter, when the grass can be too wet

walk on, and in my ignorance thought there might be even more of them.

As to my lawn being *too* perfect - did you see those porkers passing by

in
the air last night?

Incidentally we had new turf laid around the middle of April. It was
'cultivated' and looked really weed free for several weeks, but now the
weeds are proliferating but it says on 'weed and feed', spot weed killers
etc, that you shouldn't use them until the lawn has been down for 6

months.
I'm in a bit of a quandary about this, also.

Best regards and thanks for the reply,
Aileen

About 4 years ago I moved into a brand new house, like many new estates
because of planning requirements the front gardens are fenceless with a
common areas and grass strip at the front whre the pavement would normally
be which is sometimes cut by a contractor employed by a factor. . All the
turf in my cul de sac was laid on the same day, all my neighbours have
weeds - clover, dandylions and docks the area cut by the contractor is the
worst affected but I don't have weeds and the only difference between the
way I treat my grass and my neghbours is that I set my mower at slightly a
higher setting and don't use a grass box as I cut the grass 3+ times a
week in the peak growing season. Without the grass box to empty and with a
budget 41cm petrol rotary mower I can cut all my grass in about 1/5 of the
time it would take with a electric cylinder mower with grass box fitted.
If the grass is longer than normal I do two or three cuts progressively
lower the height so the cuttings don't form clumps. . The contractor
mantained grass area is a total mess of weeds having been allowed to grow
too long before beng scalped to the roots.

Old 31-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Arthur

Aileen,
The toadstool or mushroom is a way of distributing the spores of the
underground fungus. They are only pushed-up when conditions are right for
the spores to be spread and to survive, which for most species is
summer/autumn.
I believe the warnings about putting weedkillers on new turf are simply to
avoid harming grass that has already been stressed by transplanting. If the
turf is growing strongly all over then it's probably not going to be hurt by
weedkiller, properly applied. If however the weeds are flourishing because
the grass is 'sick', then I would suggest you improve the lawn health first.
If I had to give a single sentence of advice on this it would be to buy the
"Lawn Expert" book.

Good luck

- Arthur

Old 31-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Mike Lyle

"Aileen Howard" wrote in message ...
Arthur

I was particularly concerned about winter, when the grass can be too wet to
walk on, and in my ignorance thought there might be even more of them.

As to my lawn being *too* perfect - did you see those porkers passing by in
the air last night?

Incidentally we had new turf laid around the middle of April. It was
'cultivated' and looked really weed free for several weeks, but now the
weeds are proliferating but it says on 'weed and feed', spot weed killers
etc, that you shouldn't use them until the lawn has been down for 6 months.
I'm in a bit of a quandary about this, also.

As Arthur says, your toadstools are unlikely to come up in the winter;
in fact, they probably won't trouble you for more than a few weeks.

Some mushroomy things come up only when the ground's disturbed, so
these may very well not have come in with the turf, but be the result
of preparing your ground before the turf came. In that case, they
probably won't appear again after two or three years: I had a lovely
crop of lawyer's wigs one year on some ground I'd disturbed and
grassed down, but they'd dwindled to nothing three years later. (The
book said you could eat them, but I didn't have the guts to try!)

I think I'd obey the instructions on "weed and feed", as what they're
probably trying to stop you doing is feed growth before there's a
strong enough root system to support it; the stuff would probably tend
to suck moisture away from the young grasses, too, leading to
"burning". But if you don't mind a few little brown patches, I think a
spot weeder would be all right: better than letting the bad weeds get
well established. You could sow a pinch of grass seed in the bare
patch, scratching it in with an old table fork (one of my favourite
garden tools).

Mike.

toadstools farmer brown Lawns 2 27-07-2003 09:12 PM
Toadstools in new lawn Aileen Howard United Kingdom 0 04-07-2003 07:56 AM
Toadstools/Mushrooms Shepherd Gardening 1 04-06-2003 05:32 PM
White mushrooms/toadstools in lawn Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 18 07-12-2002 05:55 PM
Getting road of Mushrooms/Toadstools Carl United Kingdom 27 20-11-2002 07:10 PM