Old 01-08-2003, 05:02 PM
tradinka

Default Web page help please

Hi,

I understand from my ISP that I have 10MB of free Web space. With this
information in mind, I would like to compile and publish on the Internet a
small photo album containing a few of my plant pictures. I already have a
simple Web site creation program with almost full instructions, the only
thing it doesn't tell me is how to retrieve a Web page from my ISP when I
wish to re-new it or change any photograph. Any advice and help would be
most welcome.
Thank you.
Mike

Old 01-08-2003, 05:02 PM
martin

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:51:20 +0100, "tradinka"
wrote:

Hi,

I understand from my ISP that I have 10MB of free Web space. With this
information in mind, I would like to compile and publish on the Internet a
small photo album containing a few of my plant pictures. I already have a
simple Web site creation program with almost full instructions, the only
thing it doesn't tell me is how to retrieve a Web page from my ISP when I
wish to re-new it or change any photograph. Any advice and help would be
most welcome.

Use ws_ftp LE to put your stuff on your site delete stuff from your
site etc.

You can get a free copy from
http://www.ipswitch.com/downloads/index.html

It's the last on the page.
--
Martin
Old 01-08-2003, 05:14 PM
bigboard

tradinka wrote:
Hi,

I understand from my ISP that I have 10MB of free Web space. With this
information in mind, I would like to compile and publish on the Internet a
small photo album containing a few of my plant pictures. I already have a
simple Web site creation program with almost full instructions, the only
thing it doesn't tell me is how to retrieve a Web page from my ISP when I
wish to re-new it or change any photograph. Any advice and help would be
most welcome.
Thank you.
Mike

Keep a copy of your pages on your own PC, and then when you make a
change, simply upload them and overwrite the old files.

Eg: If you have a page on your site called "mygarden.htm" and you want
to change it, change the copy on your PC, then upload it to your
webspace replacing the old version. You don't even need to retrieve the
old version to change it then.

Old 01-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Malcolm

In article , tradinka
writes
Hi,

I understand from my ISP that I have 10MB of free Web space. With this
information in mind, I would like to compile and publish on the Internet a
small photo album containing a few of my plant pictures. I already have a
simple Web site creation program with almost full instructions, the only
thing it doesn't tell me is how to retrieve a Web page from my ISP when I
wish to re-new it or change any photograph. Any advice and help would be
most welcome.

You will need some software, which is normally free, that will FTP (file
transfer protocol - I think) your files to your webpage. Your ISP should
describe how to do this on their webpages (mine does) and give you a
link to where you can obtain the necessary software.

--
Malcolm
Old 01-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Malcolm
writes

In article ,
tradinka writes
Hi,

I understand from my ISP that I have 10MB of free Web space. With this
information in mind, I would like to compile and publish on the Internet a
small photo album containing a few of my plant pictures. I already have a
simple Web site creation program with almost full instructions, the only
thing it doesn't tell me is how to retrieve a Web page from my ISP when I
wish to re-new it or change any photograph. Any advice and help would be
most welcome.

You will need some software, which is normally free, that will FTP
(file transfer protocol - I think) your files to your webpage.

Though I usually use WS-FTP, Internet Explorer has a perfectly good (and
easy to use) basic FTP client built in.

Just type in the FTP address in the address bar and away you go, it will
ask you for a password and username if necessary.

you can then drag and drop files to move them.

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Old 02-08-2003, 02:02 PM
tradinka

"tradinka" wrote in a message:

I understand from my ISP that I have 10MB of free Web space. With this
information in mind, I would like to compile and publish on the Internet a
small photo album containing a few of my plant pictures. Any advice and

help would be
most welcome.
Thank you.
Mike
------------------

Thanks to everyone who has kindly given me advice. I would especially
like to thank Jim for the Ntl URL. I did try Ntl before posting my message
but could only find instructions for starting a simple Web page.
Thanks again,
Mike

Old 02-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Dvd

Mike,
You don't have to retrieve your web page. Change it on your own computer
then "publish" it. It will then replace the exisiting file stored on the ISP
server in the same way any file will replace a previous version unless the
name is changed.

David

Garden Humour at

http://www.gardenhumour.com

Old 02-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Jim W

tradinka wrote:

"tradinka" wrote in a message:

I understand from my ISP that I have 10MB of free Web space. With this
information in mind, I would like to compile and publish on the Internet a
small photo album containing a few of my plant pictures. Any advice and

help would be
most welcome.
Thank you.
Mike
------------------

Thanks to everyone who has kindly given me advice. I would especially
like to thank Jim for the Ntl URL. I did try Ntl before posting my message
but could only find instructions for starting a simple Web page.
Thanks again,
Mike

You're lucky! I almost posted the link to Wannadoo's by accident! WHich
is of course Martin's ISP;-) I was reading Martins response to your OP
at the time!;-) Its in Dutch so would have been even more confusing!

Glad to be of help though. Most ISP's have the server settings on their
support pages someplace, often under a heading marked 'settings'! And
with WS_FTP thats really all the information you need. I think I
noticec a suitable link for a download for that program (or something
similar) on NTL's page in any case.
//
Jim