Old 25-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Yogi Bear

Default Re Horse Manure

An FAQ/Listing County by County of the Stables/Horse Owners who would allow
gardeners to collect?

Old 27-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "Yogi Bear" contains these words:

An FAQ/Listing County by County of the Stables/Horse Owners who would allow
gardeners to collect?

Damn good idea. I`ll ring a couple of local ones. Who`s gonna collect
the data?

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 27-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

The message
from "Yogi Bear" contains these words:

An FAQ/Listing County by County of the Stables/Horse Owners who
would allow
gardeners to collect?

Damn good idea. I`ll ring a couple of local ones.

Which is what any sensible gardener wanting a local source of horse
manure would do in the first place.

Who`s gonna collect
the data?

You two, of course.

Janet

Old 28-08-2003, 09:22 AM
BAC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

The message
from "Yogi Bear" contains these words:

An FAQ/Listing County by County of the Stables/Horse Owners who
would allow
gardeners to collect?

Damn good idea. I`ll ring a couple of local ones.

Which is what any sensible gardener wanting a local source of horse
manure would do in the first place.

My father was lucky in that respect, he lived next door to one stables and
opposite another, and used to get free deliveries of the stuff tipped over
his fence by dumper truck. The surplus was then bagged up and transported to
my house for incorporation into the heavy clay soil of my vegetable garden.
It worked a treat, best garden I ever had, by a long way.

Old 28-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

You two, of course.

Janet

/me chuckles.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use

Old 28-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Alan Gould

In article , BAC
writes

My father was lucky in that respect, he lived next door to one stables and
opposite another, and used to get free deliveries of the stuff tipped over
his fence by dumper truck. The surplus was then bagged up and transported to
my house for incorporation into the heavy clay soil of my vegetable garden.
It worked a treat, best garden I ever had, by a long way.

I am lucky in the fact that the village in which we live has lots of
horse owners and small riding stables. Disposing of surplus manure is a
problem to them because there has become a shortage of available
convenient places for it. Thus it is fairly easy to have it delivered -
free. We finally reached the point last spring when we had to ask two
horse owners to stop deliveries, much to their consternation. We had
built up a huge compost box full and I had mulched and spread everywhere
as much as I wished. Plus their vehicles, both hefty cars with trailers
were churning up the entrance to our field due to the very wet winter
and spring weather. It will probably be this time next year before I
will want any further deliveries, but I don't anticipate any shortage.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 29-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Janet & Tim Costidell

We've usually got a few tonne of the stuff by February (a fair bit now,
actually), but aren't really keen on having lots of people come and help
themselves. Do garden centres collect?

Old 29-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Kate Morgan

We've usually got a few tonne of the stuff by February (a fair bit now,
actually), but aren't really keen on having lots of people come and help
themselves. Do garden centres collect?

good morning Janet

I have tried our local garden centers and they are not interested, I`m
putting ours into the corner of the paddock and let it rot down over the
winter.
kate
Old 29-08-2003, 11:03 PM
Janet & Tim Costidell

Hiya Kate!

What we've got at the moment is mostly field 'poo pickings', seems to rot
down very quickly without the bedding! Last year's muck heap could probably
have been seen from space, it had to be spread on the fields to get rid!

Old 29-08-2003, 11:03 PM
bnd777

"Janet & Tim Costidell" wrote in message
We've usually got a few tonne of the stuff by February (a fair bit now,
actually), but aren't really keen on having lots of people come and help
themselves. Do garden centres collect?

An FAQ/Listing County by County of the Stables/Horse Owners who would

allow
gardeners to collect?

are there any Allotments near you because they would welcome a huge pile I

am sure

Old 30-08-2003, 12:44 AM
Registered User

Location: West Midlands, ENGLAND

Quote:
Originally posted by Yogi Bear
An FAQ/Listing County by County of the Stables/Horse Owners who would allow
gardeners to collect?
I once paid (yes, paid!) for a ton of the stuff to be delivered, I don't think the farmer knew his weights because after a 6" mulch round my rather large garden, I still couldnt see the garage door !
So I spread what I had left all over the place.
Next spring/summer, what a beautiful lawn!!
I live in Redditch Worc's. so if anyone knows of any going free please let me know through this thread (my banana plants would love it !!)
__________________
Here for a good time,
not a long one
Old 30-08-2003, 06:15 AM
Alan Gould

In article m, Scoby
writes

I once paid (yes, paid!) for a ton of the stuff to be delivered, I
don't think the farmer knew his weights because after a 6" mulch round
my rather large garden, I still couldnt see the garage door !
So I spread what I had left all over the place.
Next spring/summer, what a beautiful lawn!!
I live in Redditch Worc's. so if anyone knows of any going free please
let me know through this thread (my banana plants would love it !!)

I think that the tendency is for horse manure to be fairly readily
available in most areas. In rural areas it is often delivered free, but
in urban areas where there is a greater demand, gardeners may have to
collect it themselves. The only time I paid for delivery was in the 50s
when we lived in a London suburb. In Redditch in the 70s, we used to go
and collect it free from local farms and stables. Here in a very rural
N.Lincs. village, it is delivered free.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 30-08-2003, 08:23 AM
Franz Heymann

"Scoby" wrote in message
s.com...
Yogi Bear wrote:
*An FAQ/Listing County by County of the Stables/Horse Owners who
would allow
gardeners to collect? *

I once paid (yes, paid!) for a ton of the stuff to be delivered, I
don't think the farmer knew his weights because after a 6" mulch round
my rather large garden, I still couldnt see the garage door !
So I spread what I had left all over the place.
Next spring/summer, what a beautiful lawn!!
I live in Redditch Worc's. so if anyone knows of any going free please
let me know through this thread (my banana plants would love it !!)

For a similar reason, ou very first property was called "The Dungalow"

Franz

Old 30-08-2003, 12:42 PM

Surely it is time that the number of horses in this country was
limited - before this island sinks under the weight of this unwanted
horseshit.

Perhaps the consumption of horse meat should be encouraged.

Old 30-08-2003, 02:22 PM
martin

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 07:20:54 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

For a similar reason, ou very first property was called "The Dungalow"

and not Dung Roamin' ? :-)
--
Martin